Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Beginner

Default food allergy question

Are food allergies taken seriously and will I be given enough protein 6-8 ooz without the chemicals or items like wheat that I am allergic to?

I am allergic to MSG, red forty food coloring /dye, shrimp, wheat, and the salad 'freshener/cleaner' sprays among other things.

I've emailed the Royal Caribbean food allergies at the address on the website before their 45 day cut off. They've replied only with a form letter telling me to go meet the staff at the restaurant when I board the ship. I've read tho, that only the buffet is open and the restaurant, the cascades is not, so unsure when the best time to go 'meet with them is'.

Is there Splenda aboard? Is there usually a charge for lemon or lime to go with the water? Is there club soda and a charge for that?

Are the foods mostly prepared with partially hydrogenated vegetable oil or are they up on the 'no trans fats' requirements of most health conscious people?

Is the plate on Royal Caribbean Int. mostly carbs and not veggies and fish or meats?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: food allergy question

Quote:
Originally Posted by river froglette
Are food allergies taken seriously and will I be given enough protein 6-8 ooz without the chemicals or items like wheat that I am allergic to?

I am allergic to MSG, red forty food coloring /dye, shrimp, wheat, and the salad 'freshener/cleaner' sprays among other things.

I've emailed the Royal Caribbean food allergies at the address on the website before their 45 day cut off. They've replied only with a form letter telling me to go meet the staff at the restaurant when I board the ship. I've read tho, that only the buffet is open and the restaurant, the cascades is not, so unsure when the best time to go 'meet with them is'.

Is there Splenda aboard? Is there usually a charge for lemon or lime to go with the water? Is there club soda and a charge for that?

Are the foods mostly prepared with partially hydrogenated vegetable oil or are they up on the 'no trans fats' requirements of most health conscious people?

Is the plate on Royal Caribbean Int. mostly carbs and not veggies and fish or meats?

Thanks!
Lunch the first day will be in the buffet - there is always a carving station with some sort of roast meat as well as lots of salad stuff.

Once you get to the dining room, speak with the headwaiter regarding your dietary restrictions. He will go over the next night's menu so that you may select items you can eat. I've toured the galley and noted that they have photos and lists of ingredients of all of the main courses, so they can instantly tell you what is in them.

At dinner, there are always "anytime" selections that include grilled chicken breast, steak and some kind of grilled fish. You may request extra veggies (I asked for steamed broccoli and it was immediately produced every night) or extra anything, really - if you want steak AND chicken - no problem at all.

Yes, you can get lemon/lime with your water at no charge. Carbonated beverages, however, are not free.

I have no idea what kind of oil they use, but I'm sure the headwaiter will be able to tell you.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 06:56 PM
Admiral

I was on Celebrity and people seated at our table had food allergies they were taken very serious. The people would order their food for the next day the night before so the meal could be made to order. They had very serious nut allergies. It was kind of fun for my hubby and me cause we got to see the next nights menu a day in advance.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 28th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to Vianna&Alex~Aus

Although I have been re-assured by the travel agent
I'm still a little worried.
I have Ceoliacs Disease (Intolorence to wheat)
Is anyone in my position cruised before whats the feedback?