Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 14th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Big Mac, Fois Gra, or Pb & J

When you travel, are you thrilled to see a familiar favorite restaurant, like McDonalds or Wendys, where you know what you will be getting. It's a no brainer, and, you know you will be eating on the cheap, in most places. or will you gladly seek out a local Mom & Pop bistro, or try a totally different cuisine.

Are you willing to be adventurous, and try things on a lark..Mike M, we know you will eat grubs in the forest:):):) Are you gourmet challenged?
What's the most unusual, gruesome, gag me with a spoon delight,you have ever eaten, in your travels? Any funny cruise food stories?

I remember when we docked in Aruba, much to my chagrin, there was a Dunkin Donuts and Wendys...It seemed to me, they just were so out of place, in paradise:)...I dunno, maybe it's just me...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Admiral

I'm with you, Trip. I don't want the same old, same old when I travel. I travel to try and open my mind to all kinds of things. My only concern is that someday, I'll get it so open that my brains fall out.
My most adventuresome eating was on a land based vacation in Jamaica. Curried goat....yummy!
Marty
Old June 15th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Oh wait, I forgot my most extreme meal. Living in L.A., we became friends with a Vietnamese neighbor. He got married and invited us. Their weddings go on all day and end with a dinner, which was at a Vietnamese restaraunt. Custom designed menu to fit their traditions. 10 courses, all protein dishes, since that is a show of wealth in their country. And, all came as whole critter. Heads still on, etc. I had a ball trying all their specialties. Loved the pidgeon! But, DH is not so brave. He finally whispered to me that he couldn't take having all his food staring back at him. He bolted out, ran to a McD's for a quick meal, came back and pretended to eat the rest of the meal. Fine with me, as I got his pidgeon, too!
Marty
Old June 20th, 2008, 11:21 AM
First Mate

Great question. I love to try new things. For instance, I'm a big fan of seaweed salad that I tried for the first time recently. No big deal to some, but it was for me!
On our last cruise, this past April, we were seated with a couple from Vietman. They were so interesting and we had so much fun telling them to order escargot and so forth. We all had a lot to laugh about at dinner when we watched them try new things. I really liked them. Dinner was silly every single nite.
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:34 PM
First Mate

I will confess to eating a McD's burger and fries while sitting in Trafalger
Square in London. However, that was purely for budget sake. When you eat 'take away' it costs much less than to sit down in a restaurant. We much preferred finding some authentic 'fish and chip' shops, or enjoying bangers and mash, bubble and squid etc!
We have enjoyed a variety of authentic Haitian food in Port au Prince. Loved cactus salad almost daily in Baja Mexico. first frog legs was on board ship. It seems such a shame when people take a cruise with all the menus have to offer, and then spend most of their mealtime at the grill, pizza bar etc.
Old June 28th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Admiral

"bubble and squid etc!"

Think squid was actually squeak,,ie potatoes and cabbage,,,,laughing so much
Old July 11th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Where I don't look for the familiar signage, I do enjoy certain types of comfort food.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 4th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default I'll take the fresh fish anyday

Chef Selections
From the Grill!

Flown in Fresh Today!

Texas Redfish on the Half Shell Creole roasted tomatoes, long stem artichoke hearts & capers in a light brown butter sauce.

Wood Roasted Tilapia With shrimp in a light citrus butter & fresh green beans.

Atlantic Cedar Plank Salmon Topped with garlic herb butter & broiled on a smokey cedar plank with asparagus.

Spicy Mustard Glazed Yellowfin Tuna With sticky rice, steamed bok choy & teriyaki.

Grilled Salmon Florentine Chargrilled salmon topped with shrimp, crabmeat, fresh spinach & crimini mushrooms in a vodka cream sauce
with dirty rice.

Grilled Costa Rican Tilapia Lafayette Fresh lump crabmeat, shrimp, tomatoes, capers, basil & beurre blanc with fresh green beans & spaghetti squash.

Alaskan Oven-Baked Halibut With zucchini served with smashed
parmesan potatoes in a light herb butter.

Idaho River Trout Yvette Pangrilled trout topped with shrimp, crawfish, spinach & mushrooms in a white wine cheese sauce with dirty rice. 19.95
Blackened Catfish Opelousas With oysters, shrimp & crabmeat in a lemon garlic butter sauce with dirty rice.

Almond Crusted Snapper Jumbo lump crabmeat & tomato in a light brown butter sauce with fresh green beans.

Grilled Mahi St. Charles With lobster, shrimp, sautéed mushrooms & spinach in a dijon cream sauce with dirty rice.
Old August 5th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Admiral

Are we still talking ship menu's here? With .....Flown in Fresh Today!

So how do they do that, "Flown in Fresh Today! "

Is it a Parachute, with planes dropping food on planes at sea, Gosh, wish I had seen that or have they built special landing strips on the cruisers and I missed it.

What a great example of misadvertising if you are quoting from a ships menu.

Sorry, I'm having a laugh here as it dont add up 8) As not all ships hit a port everyday to take on 'fresh' most take it days in advance and freeze it, or chill it, and not a so here we are sea and your seafood has just been flown in for tonights 'special"

Old August 13th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Passenger

Reindeer in Helsinki, wasn't that bad. Didn't know until after I ate it. Because I probably wouldn't have tried it. You know growing up with Rudolph and all the gang.
I try not to eat off of the ship, but last March while in Belize City, my sister, brother-n-law and I didn't want to get in the long line for the tender back to the ship. So we stopped at a bar right at the pier, and ordered margaritas, beer and chips and salsa. I am thinking you can't go wrong with chips and salsa. I started to eat the chips and they had this disgusting taste to them, I realized it was fish. I am not a fish person, and the strong taste of fish on the chips were disgusting. All I can think of was that this bar never changed it's oil.....they must have fried so much fish in order to get it to transfer to other foods. This is one reason why I am hesitant to eat in other countries. Especially 3rd world countries where it's not regulated. Scary.......
Old August 23rd, 2008, 04:50 AM
Yeoman

After an 11 night cruise with luxury food every day, a Big Mac at the airport can taste great!
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Passenger

I remember on our first cruise years ago (early 80's), DW and I sat in a port seminar as we pulled into Nassau - a very exotic port in the early cruise days. The guy that was presenting noted a Burger King near the waterfront. His comment to all us wide-eyed American cruisers was something like, "Don't go into this Burger King thinking that you are going to get a Whopper, fries and drink for $4. I will cost you close to $15!"

While comforting to see a well-known place to eat, we have always ventured out on the "edge" at various ports to try new things. Sometimes at the expense of my stomach but all in all it is great. Some favs... butt-kicking jerk chicken and jerk goat in Jamaica, beer and seafood in a local bar on the opposite side of the St. Thomas across the island from Charlotte Amalie. Oh and the fresh bananas and other fruits!! Pina Coladas with real coconut!!! I had no idea how good they are.

But as someone said, after 7 days on a cruise, a good burger is still hard to beat!
RCCL C & A Platinum Members

10 total cruises on Carnival, Princess & RCCL
Next Cruise:
2009 - Undetermined yet, but looking
2010 - April 17 - Oasis OTS
2011 - Asia - THE 14 Day Big One...