Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:56 AM
Passenger

Default International Cafe

Hi--

I'll be sailing on the Star Princess in less than 3 week ; can hardly wait to get out of grey Seattle skies and into some sun!

I noticed that the Star has added the International Cafe since her October "spruce up;" and wanted to learn more about it. Is it a restaurant setting with full meals, or more for snacks and special treats? What kinds of foods are served? Are they included in the cruise fare, or something extra?

BTW - does anyone have an operational definition for "nominal fee"

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Sailing on Star Princess 12/22/08
Hablo espanol/Falo portugues
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to spiaggedelmondo Send a message via MSN to spiaggedelmondo

well as far as I know when there are any cafe' on the ship it is extra cost, not included in the meal plan. I only heard this from my finance's mom when she returned from her cruise, she told me that all coffee was extra. I guess it would depend on what kind os package you bought. Have fun on your trip!

I am assuming that nominal is...

Quote:

Main Entry:
1nom·i·nal Listen to the pronunciation of 1nominal
Pronunciation:
\ˈnä-mə-nəl, ˈnäm-nəl\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
Middle English nominalle, from Medieval Latin nominalis, from Latin, of a name, from nomin-, nomen name — more at name
Date:
15th century

1: of, relating to, or being a noun or a word or expression taking a noun construction
2 a: of, relating to, or constituting a name b: bearing the name of a person
3 a: existing or being something in name or form only <nominal head of his party> b: of, being, or relating to a designated or theoretical size that may vary from the actual : approximate <the pipe's nominal size> c: trifling , insignificant <his involvement was nominal> <charged only nominal rent>
4of a rate of interest a: equal to the annual rate of simple interest that would obtain if interest were not compounded when in fact it is compounded and paid for periods of less than a year b: equal to the percentage by which a repaid loan exceeds the principal borrowed with no adjustment made for inflation5: being according to plan : satisfactory <everything was nominal during the launch>
— nom·i·nal·ly adverb
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nominal
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Admiral

If it is one of the high end, pay extra restaraunts, then moderate is about $30. But, hard to know what kind of Cafe it is. Some ships also have coffee and pastries "cafes" for those who nave to have their cappucino. I have never seen a ship where ALL coffee was charged extra. The dining rooms and Lido always have regular coffee free and the dining room even has expresso, etc. free as well.
Marty, who is incoherent without adequate caffeine, and sometimes even with it!
Old August 23rd, 2009, 08:59 PM
Captain

Here is some information I copied from the Princess board. It is about a coffie card/stamp You can use it at the internantional cafe. Hope it helps.

I have been on two Princess cruises this year, The purchase of coffee cards is the only way to go.

You can use the same card for every cruise, as long as you don't fill up all 15 punches on your card.
You get unlimited fresh brewed coffee and some of the best teas I have ever tasted.

The international Cafe is the location to get TO GO cups.

June 20th, I will be on a 14-day Alaska Cruise on the Diamond Princess, Vancouver r/t............... can't wait to use my existing coffee card.
----------------
----------------About the cost--------------
It costs $27.60 ($24 for the card + 15% tip). When you first embark, there will be various tables set up (usually near the buffet elevators) that are selling soda cards, ultimate kids package, and the coffee cards. Alternatively, you can just go to the International Cafe and buy the card there. That is where they have the fresh brewed coffee and all the specialty coffees. You can just go to either one and ask to purchase the coffee card.

A friend said they would go to the International Cafe for a coffee drink and the cafe waiter would bring them cookies or pastry at no charge. Although I don't know if this is still happening.

Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose