Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Beginner

Default Which lines have healthy food?

I'm talking about simple--but fresh and well prepared--seafood, chicken, fruits and vegetables. Meals which taste good and also don't cause weight gain.

Also, would you recommend going to the dining room or buffet for this kind of fare?
Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

All the major cruiselines have plenty of what you are looking for. The hard part is just sticking to that, everything always looks so good, you just have to try it.

I'd suggest sticking to the buffet for breakfast and lunch and looking for what's most healthy and less calories, its there...

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 26th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Anything eaten in moderation can be healthy. Personally, I dont mind overindulgence and then I hit the gym on board. It's usually empty anyhow.
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old April 27th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Admiral

I don't know about all cruise lines, but the dinner menu for Carnival alwyas has what they call SPA selections, which are low fat, low salt, etc. But, moderation really is the key.
Marty
Old June 2nd, 2009, 01:33 PM
Captain

The three lines I have been on had healthy and good food. Some lines will serve the same fare in the buffet, as they are serving in the main dining room, for dinner.

Most of our cruises have been on Celebrity. There always seem to be healthier alternatives as well. Celebrity M-Class vessels have the "Aqua Spa Cafe" which is next to the Thallossotherapy pool. They only serve breakfast and lunch and are very tasty - all are either low sugar, low sodium or low / no cholestoral - or all! Typical breakfast items there are: hard boiled eggs, fruit, granola and yogurt, smoked salmon and lite cheeses, multi-grain breads and bagels with low fat cream cheese and lots of fresh fruit. Lunches have a rotating menu, for example on one particular day you will find: ground turkey lettuce wraps; or Cevetchia (sp); or chicken caesar salad; cold soups, fresh vegetables and low or no sugar desserts. It really is light and tasty.

The portions served in the main dining room are not huge at all. I would say that if you stick to the portion they serve you (and not ask for more or later graze down in the dessert buffet) you would be fine.

On the other hand, if you do go to the lunch or dinner buffet, you can pick and choose what is on your diet plan, or way of eating.

You will have choices, which is very good! Portion control and moderation are still up to us...
Old July 11th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Passenger

I completely agree. Moderation and portion control are key. Each of the cruise lines offer 'lighter fare' menus or options, even for dessert. (true, the fruit would be the best choice, but Carnival's diet apple pie is tasty)
Even if it's not listed as 'healthier', I think most adults are aware that fried/breaded and cream sauces are not typically the best options.

Look for grilled meats with salsas or vinegar/wine-based sauces. My husband always asks for steamed broccoli or asparagus (even though not on menu) each night. And you don't have to eat the rolls On occasion, I have even attempted to split a dessert with DH.
CCL Holiday '09 NCL Inspiration '07 CCL Freedom '07 NCL Jewel '07 CCL Triumph '06 Costa Mediterranea '06 Celebrity Mercury '05 CCL Conquest '05 NCL Dream '05 CCL Sensation '04 HAL Statendam '03 Celebrity Horizon '03 CCL Inspiration '02 NCL Star '02 CCL Fascination '02 NCL Sea '01
Old November 24th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Buffet Bliss - Pleasure Without Gain by Janice Wald Henderson
Is it possible to eat in a healthy manner on a cruise ship? Absolutely, if you heed the advice of our cruise culinary expert. Go>
11-18-09

Read our article on how to eat healthy food at the buffet!

Also - Oasis of the Seas has the Solarium Bistro where no dish is over 500 calories.
Old November 30th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
All the major cruiselines have plenty of what you are looking for. The hard part is just sticking to that, everything always looks so good, you just have to try it.

I'd suggest sticking to the buffet for breakfast and lunch and looking for what's most healthy and less calories, its there...
I agree 100% and feel all cruise lines offer such a varity of food, that you can eat healthy if you choose, on all cruise lines As a seasoned cruiser on many cruise lines the comparing food and service is like the old riddle about which is better, Coke or Pepsi? The answer being that they are both good products and the only difference is in the preference of the individual.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Take the stairs on the ship everywhere you go. I've lost weight on a cruise doing that between the shore excursions and doing the stairs.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old December 15th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Default Healty Foods

My problem was on our last cruise that the buffet had such a great selection of choices and well displayed that even my good intentions went down the drain and after two days at the buffet for breakfast only went back the last few days..I am sadly one of these people without will power..
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Admiral

On our HAL & RCI cruises the restaurant had healthy chose food.
Myself and DW found that by eating in moderation and choosing carefully you can keep
your weight down and not gain alot.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I know that most (all?) cruise lines I have been on have "vegetarian" menu choices, but as to how "healthy" it is becomes a different story. You know there are various types of vegetarian cuisine, and if they are full of cheese or fried foods, you might as well be eating a regular diet.

We just did an article in our culinary area where we describe how to go to the buffet area and make healthy choices. Most ships have very decent salad bars. Carnival has excellent Mongolian barbecue where you can choose tofu as your protein (instead of chicken, beef, shrimp or pork). The new Oasis of the Seas has the Solarium Bistro where no dish is over 500 calories. They alsi have Indian food with excellent vegetarian dishes in the buffet area.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 11:20 PM
Admiral

All cruise lines have "healthy foods", it's just a matter of choosing the right ones for you.
The problem lies in the sheer QUANTITY and in most cases, the QUALITY of foods offered, many delicious, but fattening choices that are hard to resist!
I find myself with a new dilemma for my next cruise, I have to find gluten-free food, or choose very carefully, and not eat any of the lovely desserts made with flour....

donna
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Cool Gluten Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post
All cruise lines have "healthy foods", it's just a matter of choosing the right ones for you.
The problem lies in the sheer QUANTITY and in most cases, the QUALITY of foods offered, many delicious, but fattening choices that are hard to resist!
I find myself with a new dilemma for my next cruise, I have to find gluten-free food, or choose very carefully, and not eat any of the lovely desserts made with flour....

donna
Just looking at the Celebrity "Guest Services Form" and on Page 3 the last item asks for "related needs including Allergies (food and non-food related" and to contact their Access Dept. for special meal requests" If you need the e-mail or phone (phone #866-592-7225---e-mail..special_needs@celebriy.com
Old March 28th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Admiral

Even the main dining room usually offers a "spa choice," every night.

I have diabetes, but I can eat healthy on cruises. I simply pick the better choices, and if I think it is too much food for me, I don't always eat all the courses offered.

Also, your waiter will bring you steamed veggies, raw carrot and celery sticks, etc. if you ask for them. No one thinks you are "wierd" if you don't want all the food offered.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
146 days total
Old March 31st, 2010, 10:55 PM
Admiral

I just got back from my first cruise. There were good choices, although I did not take them. I did use the stairs often and did a lot of walking on the ship and on shore excursions. I managed to come back at the same weight as I went.