Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 21st, 2009, 05:27 PM
Passenger

Default NCL tries to trick you - 2 for 1 drinks

We recently cruised Norwegian's Pride of America and really loved it. But there was just one thing that irked me in a big way! In the Napa Wine Bar they offered a "2 for 1" deal one evening. The sign clearly said, "Two glasses of wine for the price of one". Because of this nice deal, we thought we'd stop in for a glass of wine before dinner.

The server came up and told us we could get two glasses of wine for the price of one. I said that my husband would choose what wine it would be, and he did. When she left our table, I heard a little commotion a few tables away. People were complaining and protesting about the wine but I couldn't quite hear what was going on. It sounded like they were being denied the two for one or something.

So when the server passed by our table I stopped her and said, "So there is a deal on wine right now - we're getting two glasses for the price of one?" She smiled and said yes.

Then she came to our table with FOUR glasses of wine. I said, "Wait a minute, we only ordered two glasses of wine." She raised her eyebrows like she was shocked and said, "Yes, I know. It's TWO for the price of ONE!"

I said, "But we only wanted two glasses, not FOUR! We didn't order four glasses!" She continued to pretend that two for one meant four glasses and that she was so SHOCKED that we didn't get it. But then she realized that I was not going to fall for this and she sighed, made a clicking sound with her tongue and said, "Oh alright!" She left and came back with two glasses of wine.

I was simply stunned that they were trying to fool us like that. I wonder how many customers don't put up a fuss and just accept the four glasses?
Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
Admiral

That would have irked me to. I'm glad you got 2 glasses for 1; instead of 4 glasses for 2.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 26th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Passenger

I think it was only because I was being so persistent. lol I'll bet they sell a lot of wine because people don't want to make a fuss. Our server did end up being very nice - it's not her fault and it probably gets tiresome having to deal with frustrated cruisers every week.

This didn't change our mind about cruising Norwegian - I just want to give the heads up to other cruisers.
Old December 28th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yes, I have seen similar things on other cruise lines, like one time I had a coupon for two for one wine, and I showed it to the bar tender and he agreed it was good. He poured the wine and brought the slip, but charged me for both glasses. Unfortunately I did not notice he had done that until later in the cruise. I suppose i could have protested but it didn't really sink in until later.

Basically - you have to watch what you are signing, because you never know. A lot of people just take it for granted that the ticket is always right.

For that matter, I recall a restaurant here in Phoenix where i got an incorrect ticket "by mistake" every time I went there. By the fourth time there I said to my companion "just watch, I'll bet you they make a 'mistake' on the ticket" and sure enough they had "mistakenly" given me a ticket for another table who had charged up more.

I think far too many people just sign whatever is handed to them and do not check the ticket.

Things do happen - and I do think in the bar business two for one generally does mean two glasses for the price of one. But she should not have had an attitude when you said you only meant to have a total of two glasses, not four.