CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Cuisine (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-cuisine/)
-   -   Gluten-Free Foods Available? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-cuisine/372733-gluten-free-foods-available.html)

rollerdonna March 22nd, 2010 11:15 PM

Gluten-Free Foods Available?

I'm a recently diagnosed Celiac (gluten/wheat intolerance) and was wondering if I'll have a hard time finding any gluten-free foods on board.
I've cruised many times, but never noticed before because I wasn't really looking.
Has anyone had experience with this?

donna

Fern March 23rd, 2010 09:01 PM

Hi RD! Check this out (at the bottom of the page) for info on "special" meals: elegant dining on Holland America luxury cruises

I hope that you're able to enjoy the food, even within limitations.

Mike M March 23rd, 2010 09:10 PM

Donna,

Gluten free is pretty easy to handle onboard a ship. My FIL requires a gluten free diet and has never had a problem with finding anything to eat.

Use the same sense you use in everyday life. No breads, breaded foods or pasta. Stick with rice products, meats, vegetable and if unsure ask. Also remember that many sauces are flour based (bechamel) and can give you trouble.

Take care,
Mike

travelgalSue March 24th, 2010 09:43 PM

RD, I had a client on our last cruise who needed glutten free foods. I just put in a request with the cruise line and could not have had a happier client. She had special bread brought to her every night and all her meals were prepared just the way she needed. You won't have any problems if you let them know in advance.

Lakers Fan April 16th, 2010 11:41 AM

I've been on a gluten free diet for 6 years .I've only cruised once during this period but it was not a problem at all .

Kamloops Cruiser April 17th, 2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollerdonna (Post 1281714)
I'm a recently diagnosed Celiac (gluten/wheat intolerance) and was wondering if I'll have a hard time finding any gluten-free foods on board.
I've cruised many times, but never noticed before because I wasn't really looking.
Has anyone had experience with this?

donna

My brother in law has celiac's . He doesn't has a problem with getting gluten free food . They sail HAL . At dinner the chef would come out and show and ask what he wants for dinner the next day.:oops:

rollerdonna April 18th, 2010 09:35 AM

Wow, thanks everyone, that's really encouraging.
We are sailing HAL this time, and we have let them know in advance, but I just didn't understand HOW I'd find the gluten-free stuff. My big worry was trying to resist those wonderful bread rolls at dinner in the dining room, but if they bring me gluten-free ones, - hooray!
I have learned to live without sandwiches, and I love rice pasta, so I am doing OK at home.
It's resisting all the good stuff that I know will be on a cruise that's going to be hard. MY problem, MY will power, I'm not worried about going hungry!

donna

Mike M April 18th, 2010 10:33 AM

Donna,

If will power is the biggest problem perhaps you can start a daily "Friends of Roller D" meeting. :D

Have a great gluten free cruise.
Mike

LisaK April 19th, 2010 02:21 PM

Donna, i dont' know if they sell this product in Canada but here in the states we have a line called Bob's Red Mill, its flour, cake mix, muffin mix etc, and all Gluten-Free

LisaK April 19th, 2010 02:22 PM

It would also be a good idea for you to double check with the Maitre D once on board to make sure that he got your information, and inform the lead waiter on your waiteam also

Parrot Mom May 3rd, 2010 06:49 PM

The answer is YES. On the SOLTICE at the Cafe next to the indoor pool, there was gluten free breads and meals.. I do not remember and there probably was...at the buffet on the upper cafe.