CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Cuisine (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-cuisine/)
-   -   Lobster night (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-cuisine/381299-lobster-night.html)

Dhill March 19th, 2011 03:54 AM

Lobster night

One week until are very first cruise I :)was just wondering do they serve lobsters on only one specific night of the cruise and do they serve it in all the resturaunts ?

Fern March 19th, 2011 07:41 PM

Yes, "no extra charge" lobster is served only on one night. It will be on one of your formal nights and will be available in all the main dining rooms. Your waiter will be happy to bring you as many tails as you can hold :D. (Remember, these are the small lobster tails, not the big ones you get at Red Lobster!)

After lunch, that night's menu will be posted outside all the dining rooms. We always stroll by to see what we're going to want that night:).

You can pay extra to eat at the Steakhouse if you want, and, for another extra charge, you can order lobster there.

Have some lobster for me!

Dhill March 19th, 2011 10:37 PM

Are the menues the same for all the dining rooms or does each one have a diffrent menu?:)

Doug S March 22nd, 2011 01:59 AM

All main dining rooms have the same menu, but the specialty restaurants have their own. Since this is your first cruise, keep in mind that you can order more than one, or as I prefer, order the lobster and the steak entree and make it surf and turf.

Many times my wife and I each saw an entree we wanted, and asked for a third to share. Ask for both soup and salad if you want, or two desserts. Don't fall into the mindset that you have to order one item from each course. Every waiter I've ever had cruising was glad to cater to what we wanted, and I was never made to feel piggish. On our last cruise we were seated with a younger first timer couple and everything we asked for extra they brought to them as well and they got a big kick out of it. It was a fun table.

Dhill March 22nd, 2011 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug S (Post 1361385)
All main dining rooms have the same menu, but the specialty restaurants have their own. Since this is your first cruise, keep in mind that you can order more than one, or as I prefer, order the lobster and the steak entree and make it surf and turf.

Many times my wife and I each saw an entree we wanted, and asked for a third to share. Ask for both soup and salad if you want, or two desserts. Don't fall into the mindset that you have to order one item from each course. Every waiter I've ever had cruising was glad to cater to what we wanted, and I was never made to feel piggish. On our last cruise we were seated with a younger first timer couple and everything we asked for extra they brought to them as well and they got a big kick out of it. It was a fun table.

:)So I guess it doesnt matter which one you eat at or do they have diffrent themes.Thanks for the tips they were helpful.Oh we wont be shy about ordering.You might as well get what you want you paid for it!

LisaK March 22nd, 2011 10:37 AM

Dhill if you have signed up for traditional dining you will be assigned a dining room and a specific table, if you opted for Anytime Dining, you can choose which dining room and when you want to dine

Doug S March 22nd, 2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaK (Post 1361432)
Dhill if you have signed up for traditional dining you will be assigned a dining room and a specific table, if you opted for Anytime Dining, you can choose which dining room and when you want to dine

Yeah, what she said.... If you have assigned seating your dining room/table number will be indicated on your seapass card (room key).

Dhill March 22nd, 2011 08:49 PM

We are signed up for any time dinning.I seen where they have quit a few diffrent resturaunts on board. I figured they would all have diffrent menues!:o

LisaK March 23rd, 2011 12:01 PM

Dhill, the two main dining rooms will have the same menu. Its the alternative, specialty, pay restaurants that will each have their own menu

Fern March 23rd, 2011 08:22 PM

I think you're sailing the Sapphire Princess? Here's a link to the dining options:

Sapphire Princess Dining : Princess Cruises

Lynn Knickers February 9th, 2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug S (Post 1361385)
I was never made to feel piggish.

Really ?
Is this for real ?

Sistersolo February 10th, 2012 04:41 PM

Of course it's for real. I've never ordered two entrees, but I've been with others who have. I HAVE on occasion ordered two soups, or a salad as an entree, or two desserts. On a recent cruise a couple at my table asked for and received a simple lettuce-and-tomato salad every evening, rather than the more elaborate ones that were on the menu.

By the way, the lobster tails served on cruise ships are actually crayfish tails. The crayfish look just like lobsters but do not have large claws; and they taste like lobster. As it happens, I have an allergy to real lobster, but the "lobster" tails do not trigger it.

Lakers Fan February 10th, 2012 10:03 PM

In my nearly 70 years on earth I have yet to eat lobster .

Donna February 10th, 2012 10:05 PM

Wow Henry,
May-be make it a point to give lobster a try on your next cruise??

Lakers Fan February 10th, 2012 10:08 PM

Lobster

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1414739)
Wow Henry,
May-be make it a point to give lobster a try on your next cruise??

My next cruise is in 5 weeks ,perhaps its time for lobster .

snorklr45 February 11th, 2012 04:03 PM

Our lobster tail on my last cruise was so small that one man at my table in the MDR quipped "This looks like a single shrimp to me, I am going to need a few more or I'm going to starve..."

Lynn Knickers February 12th, 2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snorklr45 (Post 1414912)
Our lobster tail on my last cruise was so small

I would have to agree that it is menu items like Lobster that are disappointing to most Guests in the main Dining Rooms.

I think they should remove this item from the menu.

Guests get all excited about Lobster, for some reason, and then when it arrives its such a disappointment.

A bit like my Last husband really.;)

Marc February 12th, 2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1414738)
In my nearly 70 years on earth I have yet to eat lobster .

Henry, I understand. Don't worry, since I don't keep kosher, I have eaten your share, too. :D

green_rd February 12th, 2012 02:42 PM

Let's see do cruise ships have fresh lobster? I don't know the answer to that question, but my guess would be no. I doubt there is a tank with thousands of bugs laying around until lobster night.

Donna February 12th, 2012 06:07 PM

I don't care for the lobster you get on cruiseships, unless it is Maine or cold water lobter. Huge difference, just don't like the Caribbean ones, so it is no big deal to me.

Dhill February 12th, 2012 10:00 PM

So do they serve the Maine lobsters in the speciality restuaruants:?:

Lakers Fan February 12th, 2012 10:05 PM

Marc

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc (Post 1415089)
Henry, I understand. Don't worry, since I don't keep kosher, I have eaten your share, too. :D

The ONLY seafood that I eat is shrimp .I never had a desire to eat lobster .

aerospace February 12th, 2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1415099)
Let's see do cruise ships have fresh lobster? I don't know the answer to that question, but my guess would be no. I doubt there is a tank with thousands of bugs laying around until lobster night.

The next big ship totally needs to do this!

Imagine a huge tank in the lobby, on lobster night everyone lines up and they use a sharpie to write your table # on the shell of the one you pick.

Mike M February 13th, 2012 09:34 AM

I have never been a fan of MDR lobster and there have been many "lobster nights" that I have ordered something else.

I love lobster but the tiny, frozen, warm water lobster tails aren't that good. Having said that I did notice that on my last Carnival Liberty cruise, while the overall food quality had diminished, the size of the lobster tails had increased. I had a bite of my daughter's and it wasn't bad.

Choosing your own lobster from a tank might be a nice idea for one of the alternative restaurants but I don't think I would want to stand in line to "choose" my lobster.

Take care,
Mike

Manuel February 13th, 2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1415119)
I don't care for the lobster you get on cruiseships, unless it is Maine or cold water lobter. Huge difference, just don't like the Caribbean ones, so it is no big deal to me.

I agree with you 100%.. After living in New England for 54 years and eating the the real McCoy, the Caribbean lobster does not cut it.

TM

Paul Motter February 13th, 2012 05:22 PM

I had a FANTASTIC lobster on Princess in the specialty restaurant on Princess. The surcharge was $30 but it was MORE than worth it.

It was a 1.5-lb Maine lobster done to perfection - the whole thing (as I recall).

Anyway - sorry about the details, but I do know it was good. This was 8 years ago so I cannot remember everything.

Paul Motter February 13th, 2012 05:24 PM

I was just in Bar Harbor and had some fantastic lobster there. I was on seabourn but I did not get that much lobster. I missed the night they had served it in the main dining rom because it was not well publicized.

I was actually pretty mad about that, to tell you the truth.

Marc February 13th, 2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1415264)
I was just in Bar Harbor and had some fantastic lobster there. I was on seabourn but I did not get that much lobster. I missed the night they had served it in the main dining rom because it was not well publicized.

I was actually pretty mad about that, to tell you the truth.

Paul, for future reference, you could have just special ordered it for the night(s) of your choosing. I sometimes will order lobster tails as an appetizer.

Aerogirl February 16th, 2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1415119)

I'm with you on that!

Paul Motter February 23rd, 2012 12:42 PM

Marc...

I did go to passenger services and explain to them what had happened, and nothing was ever done about it. They never offered to make me a lobster dinner.