CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Cuisine (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-cuisine/)
-   -   Food to Avoid on a Cruise? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-cuisine/385871-food-avoid-cruise.html)

KayAnnie November 7th, 2011 11:06 AM

Food to Avoid on a Cruise?

Do you think there is any type of food that should be avoided (or that you avoid) on a cruise ship? Maybe something that makes you worry about freshness like sushi or something that is difficult to make taste good without an open flame. Or maybe it is an item that you have just never experienced a good version of on a cruise ship. Just curious. :)

silverbolt November 7th, 2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayAnnie (Post 1400399)
Do you think there is any type of food that should be avoided (or that you avoid) on a cruise ship? Maybe something that makes you worry about freshness like sushi or something that is difficult to make taste good without an open flame. Or maybe it is an item that you have just never experienced a good version of on a cruise ship. Just curious. :)

Obviously you would avoid food that you're allergic to (if applicable). I would imagine each cruise line has a strict guideline/policy on how they prepare and handle their food. So I wouldn't really worry about freshness. Rather it should be a personal preference.

In fact I think it would be a great opportunity to try food that you've never experienced since you know they will be prepared properly.

colorcrazie November 7th, 2011 01:20 PM

Cruise lines are usually much more aggressive about food handling than restaraunts or even home cooking. They know that the bad publicity if they were the cause of any food poisoning would be disastrous. The media would love to do endless reports if that happened.
Eating in ports is a whole different story. There, I'm very cautious.
So, as said by silverbolt, unless you have food allergies, don't worry about it. My rule on cruises is if it looks good, taste it. If it tastes good, eat it.
Marty

green_rd November 7th, 2011 01:27 PM

Hit the fresh fruit early in your cruise sometimes is starts to look a little weak before week's end.

I've eaten lobster on three lines and the only one I would order again was on Princess (sorry if I am bringing up a religious topic.)

LisaK November 7th, 2011 01:49 PM

nope, a cruise is the best time to try all kinds of new and different foods

johnthed0g November 7th, 2011 03:24 PM

If you look at your waistline I think you may say avoid all of it!! :-))

green_rd November 7th, 2011 05:15 PM

But John you gotta eat something!

About midway through one of our cruises nothing on the menu of the day was floating my boat so I ordered the seafood selection from the "spa" menu. Our servers said in a beautiful Eastern European accent - "you don't want that, no taste". I guess she figured that I had made it that far through the cruise without watching my waist line that there was no reason to start now :)

johnthed0g November 7th, 2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1400442)
But John you gotta eat something!

Not according to the food & diet police....
you should nibble something green whilst striding around the deck or climbing stairs!!

Trip November 7th, 2011 05:42 PM

Stay away from anything poached...that's a scary word......I tried poached halibut once, and I still grimace, when I think about it:)

johnthed0g November 7th, 2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1400451)
Stay away from anything poached...that's a scary word......I tried poached halibut once, and I still grimace, when I think about it:)

Even eggs?
There are things I just don't fancy the thought of...snails for instance, but I anyway like to use a cruise to experiment, after all if you don't like it it's cost nothing & you can ALWAYS find something else.
Some of the ships now have these wine bar things where you can try a glass of something that you otherwise would not buy a bottle of.

Trip November 7th, 2011 06:02 PM

I really am speaking of the taste of things poached, in my off the cuff way. I don't eat poached eggs..to me the word equates to,not cooked enough,and,runny:(

johnthed0g November 7th, 2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1400456)
I really am speaking of the taste of things poached, in my off the cuff way. I don't eat poached eggs..to me the word equates to,not cooked enough,and,runny:(

I do know what you mean....sort of slimy...I had Halibut on a cruise, not keen to have it again. I am allowed poached eggs on my diet, as long as the white bit is firm they are fine.

Iamchip November 7th, 2011 09:29 PM

I love this question!! such interesting responses! Although I've yet to have anything I hated, I will repeat that the fresh fruit towards the end has a little less natural shine to it but it still tastes well.

KayAnnie November 8th, 2011 09:42 AM

Wow, such great and interesting responses. I tend to try new stuff on cruises also, but was just curious if there was anything people had issues with. I don't eat sushi in general, but I think I would be even more iffy on a cruise ship. (Maybe I am being stupid)
I also avoid burgers in late afternoon after they have had a chance to sit a bit (if there is a big stack of them and no one in line, that is usually when I go for a hot dog). I feel better about hitting the buffet as early as possible too, just because of all the people that go through it.

Mike M November 8th, 2011 10:12 AM

There really isn't anything to avoid on a ship other than foods you don't care for.

I agree that I don't like eating at the buffet late in the service where I notice that items are not swapped out as often as they should be. The main reason is not for fear of catching something it's because any food that's been sitting in a steam table for any amount of time over cooks and isn't very good. I've really only noticed this on two cruises. One was NCL and the other Royal Caribbean.

The cleanliness standards on major cruise lines is as high or higher than you will find on land. The adherence to the standards is also kept at a high level.

Are there lapses? Yes: But there are lapses in any restaurant. The main thing is if those lapses are caught, rectified and not repeated.

Take care,
Mike

colorcrazie November 8th, 2011 02:36 PM

Being a sushi fan, I have to respond that I feel safer eating it on a cruise ship than anywhere else. They make it up fresh.
Yum....now I want some sushi!
Marty

NevilleJ March 20th, 2012 07:39 PM

I would assume that the fresh catch of the day is best the day the ship departs and every time it docks at a port. I'm sure the seafood is still good two to three days later but it wouldn't be catch of the day.:o

Bruce Chafkin1 March 21st, 2012 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colorcrazie (Post 1400600)
Being a sushi fan, I have to respond that I feel safer eating it on a cruise ship than anywhere else. They make it up fresh.
Yum....now I want some sushi!
Marty

You people need to do a bit more research on fresh fish.

1. The US Public health service will normally not allow us to serve any fresh fish or shellfish to passengers on cruise ships - especially if it is not cooked. It must be frozen.

2. Most sushi and sashimi - even in Japan where I live - is not fresh. The fish are caught, processed, and frozen on large factory ships, then delivered to fish markets weeks or months later.

3. Quality of sushi and sashimi is not so much dependent on freshness, as on initial quality, freezing style, handling, and preparation.

The sushi bar on my ship receives the same frozen ahi tuna blocks that the local corner restaurant in Tokyo buys.

BachelorettePartier January 15th, 2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaK (Post 1400416)
nope, a cruise is the best time to try all kinds of new and different foods

I can't wait to try everything!