CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Cuisine (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-cuisine/)
-   -   Ever had a Chip Butty? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-cuisine/388976-ever-had-chip-butty.html)

bonnyprincecharlie April 22nd, 2012 09:57 AM

Ever had a Chip Butty?

I have never seen one on the menu of a Royal Caribbean pub but it sounds like it would be a natural fit. Whether or not you appreciate traditional British cuisine it is hard not to like the tasty chip butty. It is known as the chip sandwhich in Britian and by other names in different parts of the United Kingdom. Butty is a Welsh term for "sandwhich" and slang for "friend" or "buddy." It's made up of bread, butter, and fries they melt the butter, condiments such as ketchup, malt vinegar and mustard can be added. Anybody else want to see it added to the Royal Carribean pub's menu.

Mike M April 22nd, 2012 10:10 AM

I'd rather have a bacon butty. A standard English breakfast treat. Basically bacon and egg on toast.

Take care,
Mike

Lakers Fan April 22nd, 2012 10:26 AM

I've never heard of either .Alas ,I've led a sheltered life .

Trackypup April 22nd, 2012 11:30 AM

I grew up on Chip Butty's :)

Lakers Fan April 22nd, 2012 11:32 AM

I grew up on Google Moogle's .Can anyone tell me what this is ?

Queen of Oakville April 22nd, 2012 01:35 PM

I'd rather see Yorkshires added to the Prime Rib dinners. My kiddies are always disappointed when they hear that prime rib is on the menu but that there is no yorkshire served with it.:-(

bonnyprincecharlie April 22nd, 2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1426080)
I'd rather have a bacon butty. A standard English breakfast treat. Basically bacon and egg on toast.

Take care,
Mike

I seem to remember that this occured on the Celibrity Solstice. They offered an English breakfast section in the breakfast buffet line. A young lady approached the attentdent and asked for bacon and eggs. He said, "mam, this is the English breakast section, and he directed her to another part of the buffet. Immediately afterwards a cruisemate came up and asked with a British or Australian accent for beans on toast. The attendent delivered the dish with a smile. She probably should have asked for a bacon butty and gotten a better response.

I was wondering if there would be a positive response to the baked bean sandwhich which is a long-standing Saturday night meal in Massachusettes. It is made up of two slices butttered brown bread topped with Boston baked beans that must be made with molasses and brown sugar. This sandwhich would probably find favor with a lot of British travelers and Bostonians. What do you think?

johnthed0g April 22nd, 2012 06:46 PM

Bacon & eggs are part of the "full English"

Trip April 22nd, 2012 08:28 PM

I grew up in Boston, I never heard of, or, eaten a baked bean sandwich..but I do call soda, tonic.:)

bonnyprincecharlie April 23rd, 2012 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1426167)
I grew up in Boston, I never heard of, of, eaten a baked bean sandwich..but I do call soda, tonic.:)

Have you ever tried a Fuffenutter? Saw this article about it. BOSTON ó Itís creamy, itís sweet and itís become a staple of lunch boxes for generations of New England school children.

Now, the beloved Fluffernutter sandwich ó the irresistible combination of Marshmallow Fluff and peanut butter, preferably on white bread with a glass of milk handy ó finds itself at the center of a sticky political debate.

Sen. Jarrett Barrios was outraged that his son Nathaniel, a third-grader, was given a Fluffernutter sandwich at the King Open School in Cambridge. He said he plans to file legislation that would ban schools from offering the local delicacy more than once a week as the main meal of the day.

Trip April 23rd, 2012 09:23 AM

BPC...I know all about the fluffernutter:) Ate em,and made many:)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...tter_small.jpg

bonnyprincecharlie April 23rd, 2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1426207)
BPC...I know all about the fluffernutter:) Ate em,and made many:)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...tter_small.jpg

I think the fluffernutter would be a great addition to cruise cuisine snacks. The Boston baked bean sandwhich might not do as well.

I did a little research on the internet and found some references to the Boston baked bean sandwhich - see below.

From Saveur.com: Little known outside of Massachusetts, this dish (the Boston baked bean sandwhich) is a by-product of that state's long tradition of Saturday night baked bean suppers. During the days afterward, leftover beans are mashed with sweet applesauce, spread on buttered brown bread, and covered with piccalilli (a vegetable relish), cold cuts, and sliced cheese to make a scrumptious snack.

From Wikipedia: Recipes for a baked bean sandwich can be traced from as early as 1909 - one book entitled "Cooking For Two" by Janet Mckenzie Hill suggests such a recipe as a "substitute for meatless cooking", and is a much more elaborate sandwich compared to its most common manifestation today

Trip April 23rd, 2012 06:26 PM

Saturday franks & beans was very popular, but, not in our house, why I don't know...the leftover recipe, is god awful sounding...:shock:

I use to take a hot dog on a fork, and hold it over the flame on our stove:)

bonnyprincecharlie April 25th, 2012 04:42 AM

Since you are not from Minneapolis you have probably not had a Jucy Lucy it's also called the " inside out cheeseburger." There is one secret to eating this buger, let it cool for a bit. The reason is that there is molten steel hot ozing cheese inside that will blister your mouth. Otherwise it's just a great hamburger.

By the way I have not found out if the hotdog and sausage shop on the Allure is still in business.

Mike M April 25th, 2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie (Post 1426410)
Since you are not from Minneapolis you have probably not had a Jucy Lucy it's also called the " inside out cheeseburger." There is one secret to eating this buger, let it cool for a bit. The reason is that there is molten steel hot ozing cheese inside that will blister your mouth. Otherwise it's just a great hamburger.

By the way I have not found out if the hotdog and sausage shop on the Allure is still in business.

I've ate at Matt's many times. It's the "original" home of the Juicy Lucy however I prefer The Nook.

As of February the Hot Dog stand was still going on Allure.

Take care,
Mike

bonnyprincecharlie April 25th, 2012 04:26 PM

Thank you for the Allure information. It relieves me to know that RCL did not take out this experience. I find it interesting that they have it on the Allure and not the Oasis.
I really wonder what is going through the heads of the decision makers. I prefer the Allure over the Oasis - see my past email on this subject. One of the reasons was the hotdog and braut stand. I suppose that as long as the ships are filled the decision makers figure they are doing everything right.

As to the Nook or Matts, everyman has to take a stand when it comes to a Juicy Lucy.