Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Captain

Default How about turkey legs on the the cruise ship fast food menu?

I was thinking that maybe the cruise ships need some inspiration for their fastfoods. I always wonder why they do not offer turkey legs. The Disney Corporation has made a mint from these poultry appendages. The hot wings on the NCL ships beat out turkey legs and they are better I think than Buffalo wings from Buffalo. The ships seem to be stuck on the staples hotdogs, hamburgers, pizza and doughnuts. Cruisers might like trying deep fried twinkies instead of doughnuts and the fried twinkies could be made in the doughnut deep fryers. Of course this opens up a multitude of deep fryer productions like fried butter, fried candy bars, fried cheese and the bananarito which is a tortilla wrapped deep fried banana smothered in whipped cream, cinamon, chocolate sauce, and honey. Instead of the drink ticket the ships could offer fried Coca Cola. They might think about adding as a desert entry - Akutaq aka Alaskan Eskimo ice cream - whipped animal fat, berries, sugar, and boiled fish.
Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I agree that some new offerings need to be implemented but I'm not sure if the State Fair or Midway food is the answer.

Turkey legs may be something I'd try but I doubt I'd go for most of the "food on a stick" offerings you find at the State and local fairs.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Admiral

Not my kind of thing ,but its cool.
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:47 AM
First Mate

I'm not so sure about the turkey leg because I would not feel very lady-like eating it..However, I am definitely up for some BIG CHANGES on all ships fast food offerings. They are getting old and stale IMHO.

CarnivalTriumph
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorklr45 View Post
I'm not so sure about the turkey leg because I would not feel very lady-like eating it..However, I am definitely up for some BIG CHANGES on all ships fast food offerings. They are getting old and stale IMHO.
In response to your comment - and this is not written as a negative response. I would only say that ladies are eating the turkey legs everyday at Disney's Kingdoms and if you feel uncomfortable with the turkey legs maybe you might like to try frog legs. They are smaller and easier to handle.

I can understand what you are saying concerning a big turkey leg. To me a similar situation would be eating a leaky ice cream cone on a hot day. It keeps on dripping and makes a mess if you don't eat it fast. And then it generally ends up on my clothes.

But as you say new and innovative entrees are needed. I was thinking about one I experienced at a hotel in Chicago years ago. It was at a cocktail party.
The item was just a heated slice of cheddar cheese. It was kept warm under a heat lamp and individual slices were being cut by the server just as they do with the meats. Now this does not sound like much but the taste and aroma of the cheddar were out of this world. I have never encountered this entree again, but I'm sure it would be a hit on the cruise circuit.
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:30 AM
First Mate

Hi Bonny!

No offense taken from your post whatsoever. Thank you for taking the time to reply. Right after I posted about the turkey legs, I went to a local fair and saw several ladies chomping down on large turkey legs there. lol It's great for them, just not something I would like for myself.

I would just like to see some new offerings on the fastfood side. Things that actually taste AWESOME, not bland. I think some skewered grilled shrimp scampi and other skewered, grilled finger foods would be terrific..as long as they were fresh and not sitting under a heat lamp all day.

Maybe some fresh crab (not the fake stuff) salad wrapped in a petite, round, crisp phyllo dough. I found Carnival never served any crab that tasted good. I had to throw all of their crab dishes in the trash..The crab tasted OLD and gross.

CarnivalTriumph
Old May 18th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I would agree that, Fair food, should not make it to a ship. Turkey legs at a Renaissance Faire, okay, but a drummy that large being chomped on by my tablemate, no thanks.

And I so agrree that there are some dishes, like that cheese, and, phyllo anything, would be a nice change of pace.

When a plate of petit fours is left in my cabin, I usually find them an "ugh."
These could use an update as well...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 19th, 2012, 05:33 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I would agree that, Fair food, should not make it to a ship. Turkey legs at a Renaissance Faire, okay, but a drummy that large being chomped on by my tablemate, no thanks.

And I so agree that there are some dishes, like that cheese, and, phyllo anything, would be a nice change of pace.

When a plate of petit fours is left in my cabin, I usually find them an "ugh."
These could use an update as well...
I agree that at a dinner table, the turkey legs would be verboten, but maybe frog legs would be another acceptable alternative at least at dinner. 'I do enjoy those little crayfish when I can't get lobsters.

As to the turkey legs these would be for a special occasion like a movie under the stars.They also could be served at sporting event broadcasts. i would think they would be appropriate anytime that cruisers would have time to casually nosh over a couple of hours.
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Familiar Face

I'm guessing cruise lines are going to stick with the cheaper burgers, dogs and pizza model. I was also a little surprised no turkey legs on the Disney cruise. At least they had the Mickey bars.
Old May 20th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Administrator
Admiral

This is a bit off topic but:

How much do they charge for a turkey leg at Disney World?

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 21st, 2012, 05:25 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
This is a bit off topic but:

How much do they charge for a turkey leg at Disney World?

Take care,
Mike
Not Disney World, but Disneyland price info.
One of the best (and economical) options for food from Disneyland is the turkey leg! The price has gone up over the last couple of years, but it is still worth it at $8.99 for a 1.5lb leg. Where else can you get a moist, juicy, tender, smoky and ginormous turkey leg that can easily be shared with 2+ people (that you are ok with sharing germs with of course)? Plus - are you really going to be able to replicate the salt-water cured, slow-cooked in a smoker for 6+ hours process? SO DELICIOUS!!!
Old June 12th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Familiar Face

Is this supposed to be a joke?
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Captain

How about carefully avoiding any cruise line that serves American Fast Food in any form?
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Banned
Captain

Honestly if I want fast food I would go to a mall (I dont eat fast food any way),You can eat fast food everyday of the week, why on a cruise ship?

I think fast food lowers the standard on cruise ships...besides most ports have fast food outlets...you really dont have to wait that long to get to a port and get you fix of fast food.

I say please keep fast food off the ship or I will sail a line that does not sell that.

Crystal anyone...lol....can't wait...
Old June 14th, 2012, 03:35 AM
First Mate

Personally, I'd like to see much healthier offerings rather than "fried everything" or hamburgers and hot dogs. I actually lost weight on my last cruise because I got addicted to a mostly vegan sandwich (it had cheese) offered on the room service menu. I was eating that rather than cheesecake!! To me it was much tastier than what was offered for lunch on the buffet for sure!!

CarnivalTriumph
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Go Go Bananas!

I don't know if cruise lines will adopt fair food but sometimes a Whack in the Side of the Head to think differently about food.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Default Amen to buttons

[QUOTE=buttons16;1432900]Honestly if I want fast food I would go to a mall (I dont eat fast food any way),You can eat fast food everyday of the week, why on a cruise ship?

I think fast food lowers the standard on cruise ships...besides most ports have fast food outlets...you really dont have to wait that long to get to a port and get you fix of fast food.

I say please keep fast food off the ship or I will sail a line that does not sell that.

I agree 100%
Old June 14th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Banned
Captain

[QUOTE=Henry43;1433001]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
Honestly if I want fast food I would go to a mall (I dont eat fast food any way),You can eat fast food everyday of the week, why on a cruise ship?

I agree 100%
Wow in full agreement...
Old June 15th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Familiar Face

I think it is interesting that Disney who has made millions selling turkey legs at its resorts, has not taken turkey legs to sea as an offering on their ships.
Old June 15th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconic View Post
I think it is interesting that Disney who has made millions selling turkey legs at its resorts, has not taken turkey legs to sea as an offering on their ships.
Maybe they know better...but anyhow they are doing the right thing...
Old June 25th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Captain

Default Turkey legs were being served on my Disney cruise

This is somehwhat dated but on my Disney cruise they served turkey legs and they were big. And they didn't surcharge for them.
Old June 28th, 2014, 02:14 AM
Captain

Basil Fawlty said it best.

"Let's just put a trough of baked beans down the center of the room and garnish it with a couple of dead dogs."
Old June 30th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Captain

Default Anybody for pickled pigs feet???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Basil Fawlty said it best.

"Let's just put a trough of baked beans down the center of the room and garnish it with a couple of dead dogs."
I have heard they taste good, but never tried them. I did have chicken feet on one cruise. I didn't enjoy them.