Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 9th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Captain

Default Gordon Ramsey"s Hells Kitchen Food Trucks

I saw a recent program in which Gordon Ramsey had food trucks which featured American, Indian and Mexican food. This is the kind of novelty food delivery system that would be fun on the ship and really appreciated at the cruise ship ports. The food truck could offer drinks and food on the the port's piers. Cruisemates wouldn't have to venture to local eateries. And since they would have a big name chef on them the food would be eclectic.
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
I saw a recent program in which Gordon Ramsey had food trucks which featured American, Indian and Mexican food. This is the kind of novelty food delivery system that would be fun on the ship and really appreciated at the cruise ship ports. The food truck could offer drinks and food on the the port's piers. Cruisemates wouldn't have to venture to local eateries. And since they would have a big name chef on them the food would be eclectic.
And why would you want to eat at a 'food truck' rather than on the premises at the local eateries? Isn't that part of the adventure?
Old July 10th, 2012, 04:49 AM
Captain

Default Savoring local is good. Getting sick is not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
And why would you want to eat at a 'food truck' rather than on the premises at the local eateries? Isn't that part of the adventure?
I agree that part of the pleasure of traveling is savoring the culinary creations of different cultures--unless, of course, you happen to get sick from them. The following information was abstracted from an internet article and elaborates on why local eateries maybe risky.

Foods of particular concern to travelers include those potentially contaminated by the common culprits, E. coli and salmonella bacteria, as well as other, more unusual organisms and toxins.

Be aware that some fish may not be safe even when fully cooked because of toxins present in their flesh. The highest risk areas for unsafe fish include the Caribbean islands, the tropical Pacific islands, and Indian Ocean islands; but mainland shores can also carry risk. Avoid eating the internal organs, where toxins tend to collect, and try to avoid eating larger fish, which usually have higher concentrations of toxins than the smaller fish upon which they feed.

The bacteria known as E. coli is found in human and animal waste. In developing areas of various countries, soil fertilizer used in growing produce often contains e-coli bacteria. Such areas that cross the beaten tourist track include Mexico, parts of Central and South America, and parts of Africa and Asia. Consequently, when visiting these areas you should exercise caution with food until you have an idea of how your body will react.

Salmonella grows easily in poultry, eggs, dairy products, and seafood, especially in warm temperatures. Travelers to tropical and subtropical areas, such as Hawaii, Mexico, the Caribbean, and the South Pacific, are especially at risk of salmonella poisoning.

In such areas, always avoid cold meat and seafood platters, dishes containing mayonnaise (such as potato salad, tuna salad, and sandwiches), and creamy desserts. These dishes are often made with raw or semi-cooked ingredients and so make ideal cultures for the growth of bacteria.

Also avoid unpasteurized dairy products, including cheese, yogurt, and ice cream, as discussed above, because they can carry salmonella as well as e-coli. Safe alternatives to unpasteurized fresh milk are canned and powdered milk.

Parasites and helminths that live in meat and fish can also cause illness in unsuspecting travelers. As mentioned above, you can avoid most of the risk by ordering animal products and seafoods to be cooked very well done and served piping hot. If these foods are properly cooked so that there are no rare or raw portions, they will generally be safe to eat.

Perhaps the most obvious risk factor affecting the food you eat is the standards of hygiene practiced by the place where you obtain it. Open-air markets and street vendors, while picturesque, can harbor unsanitary conditions. Larger establishments in well-traveled areas are often more conscious of health standards. You probably should stick with the latter until you're confident your system can handle something more adventurous.

While bacteria and other organisms are always potential hazards, not all travelers are equally susceptible to getting sick. Your best bet in an unfamiliar location is to try out new foods cautiously and gradually, keeping in mind that the symptoms of food poisoning may take a few days to appear, but usually make themselves known with a vengeance later.

I think the article summarizes why ship-prepared food is a safer bet for cruisemates
Old July 10th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Banned
Captain

I have had food poisoning twice in my life, and both times I wanted to die.

The first time was when I was a kid, my parents took me out to a seafood restaurant, I got food poisoning from Calamari...and got very very sick, I never ate it since...the other time, from a hotdog food Cart in NYC, I ate a Knish.

While in the Military I never came down with food poisoning and I was stationed in 5 different states and also served overseas in combat.
Old July 11th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Admiral

OK...you got me there Bonnyprincecharlie! So much for the 'adventure on shore'....that's some pretty serious reading. I've also done some additional reading that mentioned in some instances you never fully recover from certain food poisonings...there can be lingering disabilities. OMG!

But even so...'sponsored' food carts right on the pier might cause problems with the locals who depend on cruise passengers to support their economy.

When we cruised in South America, Mexico...or even around Asia...generally we wait to eat until we're back on the ship...EXCEPT when we eat at hotels that cater to Expats. We do this because I have serious food allergies and with a language barrier cannot be sure if the waiters fully understand what I can and cannot have. (this is just me, my husband can eat anything that doesn't move...and has!) We've found that sometimes the waiters will just nod, smile and say, "yes, yes"...when in fact they had no idea what we were saying. So, for my sake, just to be safe we generally eat meals on board ship. Now I thinking about all that Chinese food we ate in Hong Kong! Not really, that food is often freshly made immediately in front of you. BUT we used lots of common sense. Ate plenty of stir-fried veggies...NEVER fish...In China sometimes the chicken would be killed and cooked on the spot. Even with that, we were extremely careful and never got sick) In the Philippines we also were very very careful where we ate and NEVER ate from the street vendors, even though sometimes the fragrance from what was cooking was wonderful!!!
Old July 13th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Captain

Default Food related problems can come back to haunt years later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
OK...you got me there Bonnyprincecharlie! So much for the 'adventure on shore'....that's some pretty serious reading. I've also done some additional reading that mentioned in some instances you never fully recover from certain food poisonings...there can be lingering disabilities. OMG!

But even so...'sponsored' food carts right on the pier might cause problems with the locals who depend on cruise passengers to support their economy.

When we cruised in South America, Mexico...or even around Asia...generally we wait to eat until we're back on the ship...EXCEPT when we eat at hotels that cater to Expats. We do this because I have serious food allergies and with a language barrier cannot be sure if the waiters fully understand what I can and cannot have. (this is just me, my husband can eat anything that doesn't move...and has!) We've found that sometimes the waiters will just nod, smile and say, "yes, yes"...when in fact they had no idea what we were saying. So, for my sake, just to be safe we generally eat meals on board ship. Now I thinking about all that Chinese food we ate in Hong Kong! Not really, that food is often freshly made immediately in front of you. BUT we used lots of common sense. Ate plenty of stir-fried veggies...NEVER fish...In China sometimes the chicken would be killed and cooked on the spot. Even with that, we were extremely careful and never got sick) In the Philippines we also were very very careful where we ate and NEVER ate from the street vendors, even though sometimes the fragrance from what was cooking was wonderful!!!

Good idea to be careful about where and what you eat. I had a friend who acquired parasites in his intestional tract while working in Egypt. He told me that those things would live with him for the rest of his life.

As to the locals complaining, you're probably right they will complain, but the cruise companies sort of do what they want to do. They are sort of like the 10,000 pound King Kong gorilla who sits wherever he wants to sit. Hey it's a fun idea that could work and help to reduce demands on ship restuarants while giving more menu variety.
Old June 6th, 2014, 05:33 AM
Captain

Default SeaPlex Dog House: A genuine food truck at sea, offering gourmet dogs.

SeaPlex Dog House: A genuine food treQuck at sea, offering gourmet dogs on
the Quantum. Let's see how it works out.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

I can tell you the doghouse on Allure was a big hit when I sailed; people were always waiting in line to grab one of the dogs they offered.

[url=http://www.cruisingtalk.com]
Next Up NCL Jade
Old July 9th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Familiar Face

I'm cool with chinese fast food but none of that mcdonalds, kfc junk