Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Captain

Default More fast food outlets on cruise ships?

As I relaxed in the Atrium of the Allure of the Seas I noticed the Starbucks outlet providing signature made-to-order espresso beverages and FrappuccinoŽ blended beverages. I thought wouldn't it be neat to have more of these fast food outlets on cruise ships. I know that there is already a Johnny Rocket outlet on the Allure, but I was thinking what if
cruisers could have Subway's Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki, Smokehouse BBQ Chicken,Veggie delight or Red Robin gourmet hamburgers, towering onion rings, clucks and fries or Quizno's prime rib philly, peppercorn prime rib. These are only some of the fast food outlets that came to mind. I personally like Arby's roast beef with horsey sauce sandwhiches and would be willing to pay extra for them as a change of menu. I could also see ethnic foods being offered. Greek foods like souvlaki, roast lamb shiskaba, gyros, soups, greek salad, baklava, mousaka, etc.
This would be a great way to increase the variety of foods offered on ships.
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I've always said that the day a McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's or other fast food outlet opens up on a cruise ship I'm done sailing that line.

Johnny Rocket's is pushing the envelope but they are a little more niche, and have a better product, than the big fast food outlets.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 25th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Banned
Captain

Fast food chains on cruise ships...that IMHO is a joke. Don't you think we have enough of that garbage in our every day life. If I want to eat in a fast food chain, I would'nt go on a cruise to do so...and then pay for it nonetheless. I agree with above poster, I think it is tasteless and lowers the standards of cuisine on a ship...Hey but then again its another money maker for the line...what next....Paying a surcharge in the MDR.
Old May 25th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I think I just heard the Foodies screaming! No, leave what you can have every day of the week at home.....give us delicious and new options we can try at sea.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 25th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Admiral

If fast food restaurants showed up on a cruise ship or line . I would gone faster then a cat with it's tail on fire.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old May 25th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I think I just heard the Foodies screaming! No, leave what you can have every day of the week at home.....give us delicious and new options we can try at sea.
Exactly...one of the reason my wife and I booked a Crystal Cruise...no Mcdonalds or Johnny Rockets on Crystal...

Like Trip stated...you can eat fast food junk every day of your life...WHY does it have to be on a cruise ship...and if your that addicted to fast food, can't you wait till you dock at a port..odds are you can eat junk food at just about any port of call.
Old May 25th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
As I relaxed in the Atrium of the Allure of the Seas I noticed the Starbucks outlet providing signature made-to-order espresso beverages and FrappuccinoŽ blended beverages. I thought wouldn't it be neat to have more of these fast food outlets on cruise ships. I know that there is already a Johnny Rocket outlet on the Allure, but I was thinking what if
cruisers could have Subway's Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki, Smokehouse BBQ Chicken,Veggie delight or Red Robin gourmet hamburgers, towering onion rings, clucks and fries or Quizno's prime rib philly, peppercorn prime rib. These are only some of the fast food outlets that came to mind. I personally like Arby's roast beef with horsey sauce sandwhiches and would be willing to pay extra for them as a change of menu. I could also see ethnic foods being offered. Greek foods like souvlaki, roast lamb shiskaba, gyros, soups, greek salad, baklava, mousaka, etc.
Arby's.......Its good mood food....5 roast beef sandwiches for $5.00 bucks....enough said...I think that roast beef ran in the second race at Pocono Downs...lol. Horsey sauce with horsey roast beef.
Old May 25th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Admiral

I have not eaten fast food since the last century .
Old May 25th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Admiral

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I've always said that the day a McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's or other fast food outlet opens up on a cruise ship I'm done sailing that line.

Mike
I echo that sentiment.
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old May 25th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Well, as the OP can probably tell, everyone thinks that's about the worst idea EVER.

That's all we need to turn cruise ships into a facsimile of a mall, with a food court of fast food restaurants.

Instead of fine dining, they could refer to it as swine dining.
Old May 25th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Instead of fine dining, they could refer to it as swine dining.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old May 25th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Default Ban fast foods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post

TM
Let us end all fast food establishments on the planet .
Old May 26th, 2012, 08:11 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Let us end all fast food establishments on the planet .
I would not go that far! Fast food is convenient when you get hungry and are out running errands, especially with little ones! I do agree though, that they are not needed or wanted on a cruise!

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Old May 26th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Admiral

OMG please no fast food kiosks on cruise ships! I agree with buttons16..if you want/need that fast food fix...wait until the ship docks. The ship already has pizza, burgers, milkshakes etc....WHY pay extra for the secret sauce? AND you will pay extra. No...there's plenty of food options on a cruise ship without adding franchised fast food kiosks.
Old May 26th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Default Fast food and children

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDGodwin View Post
I would not go that far! Fast food is convenient when you get hungry and are out running errands, especially with little ones! I do agree though, that they are not needed or wanted on a cruise!

Do you know how unhealthy it is for kids to eat fast foods ? My grandchildren have never been to a fast food restaurant .
Old May 26th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Do you know how unhealthy it is for kids to eat fast foods ? My grandchildren have never been to a fast food restaurant .

That's not entirely true. Perhaps years ago, but these days many types of "fast food" restaurants actually serve healthier foods than many of the sit down restaurants.

"Fast food" doesn't automatically translate to McDs or Burger King. For example, the new "big thing" in fast foods is food trucks, many of which offer very healthy foods.

There are plenty of "unhealthy foods" being served on cruise ships, but that has nothing to do with fast foods being a bad idea for ships.
Old May 26th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Default Kukiest

Quote:
That's not entirely true. Perhaps years ago, but these days many types of "fast food" restaurants actually serve healthier foods than many of the sit down restaurants.

"Fast food" doesn't automatically translate to McDs or Burger King. For example, the new "big thing" in fast foods is food trucks, many of which offer very healthy foods.

There are plenty of "unhealthy foods" being served on cruise ships, but that has nothing to do with fast foods being a bad idea for ships.

Yes,you are correct . I amend my proposal to read let us eliminate the unhealthy fast foods .
When I was a child I ate a lot of fast foods and I was very fat from age 4 to 17 .I also had many medical problems due to the ingestion of unhelathy food .
Old May 26th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Banned
Captain

Starting to sway off the thread...Its not a matter if fast food is healthy or not (I dont eat fast food myself) its a matter of do you want to see the Golden Arches on a cruise ship...or an Arby's, Burger King or whatever...It is in MHO a bad idea..I would never sail on a cruise ship with fast food outlets...That to me is the bottom of the barrel. If you can't wait till you get off at just about any port to get fast food, then you have a serious problem.
I booked a cruise with Crystal and one of the main reasons was the higher quality of food. The last thing I want to see on a cruise ship that I am sailing on is any type of fast food joint.
Old May 26th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Admiral

I agree with the Buttons on this .
Old May 26th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have yet to eat at any of the Johnny Rockets onboard a ship, we have them in our local malls. When I cruise, I enjoy eating at places I can't at home and trying new and different meals...

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 26th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Admiral

Technically, I'd say buffets are fast food outlets. As are the pool-side grills on many ships serving hamburgers, hotdogs, etc.
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Admiral

That Sir is correct .However, I believe the OP was referrering to provate restaurants aboard ships such as a McDonalds .
Old May 27th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
That Sir is correct .However, I believe the OP was referrering to provate restaurants aboard ships such as a McDonalds .
Ah Henry... the only thread you've participated in over three years that you want to stay on topic.
Old May 27th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna have yet to eat at any of the Johnny Rockets onboard a ship, we have them in our local malls. When I cruise, I enjoy eating at places I can't at home and trying new and different meals...[/COLOR
[/B]
My husband and I feel the same way. The specialty restaurants are a favorite of ours. They offer a type of service and a variety of specialty foods, wines, etc...we just couldn't afford at home. Too expensive. But on board ship, we experience luxury we can afford.

It might be different if you couldn't get your 'franchise' type food already on board ship. Cruise lines now offer, hamburgers, french fries, milkshakes, pizza, beer, hot dogs, etc. And on most ships, these are available 24 hrs. If I need a 'franchise' fix of one of the above...which is rare....I can wait until we're in port.

Most of the ships we've been on, have a kiosk near the pools, where they offer, 'Spa' type meals or snacks. For e.g. Salads, fresh juice, fruit, specialty breads and muffins, etc. It's fast food of the healthy type.
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Default Surely you are not serious

Quote:
Ah Henry... the only thread you've participated in over three years that you want to stay on topic.
Did you see my Shavuot thread ?
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Captain

Default Ya know, maybe that wasn't such a hot idea after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
WOW. Ya know, maybe that wasn't such a hot idea after all.
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Wow, now that you mention some of those....One thing I have never had prepared good on cruiseships is chinese food??

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 30th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Wow, now that you mention some of those....One thing I have never had prepared good on cruiseships is chinese food??
One of the alternate restaurants on NCL is a chinese/asian option... and quite good.
Old May 30th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
One of the alternate restaurants on NCL is a chinese/asian option... and quite good.
Yes:

The Chinese and Noodle restaurants on Epic and other NCL ships are excellent.

The Mangolian Woks on Carnival ships are good and very popular. The lines are extremely long. I wish they would expand that option.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 1st, 2012, 04:33 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Did you see my Shavuot thread ?
Henry 43 a better response would be:
"DON'T SHUSH ME! I'LL MAKE ALL THE NOISE I WANNA!" ("Daffy Duck Hunt")