Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2014, 01:03 PM
Captain

Default Lobster harvest bountiful. does this mean more lobster nights?

Article in NY Times said New England lobster harvest was bountiful and that the lobster suppliers are facing price degradation. I hope this means that the cruise ship lines will stock up on this harvest from the seas. I always consider it a treat to have a lobster night and look forward to it on cruises. The only thing that has put a hole in my balloon about the lobsters was the story that the cruise lines were serving prawns or South African lobsters. Of course I can't tell the difference between New England and South African lobsters. Just soak them in butter and they all taste the same.
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
Article in NY Times said New England lobster harvest was bountiful and that the lobster suppliers are facing price degradation. I hope this means that the cruise ship lines will stock up on this harvest from the seas. I always consider it a treat to have a lobster night and look forward to it on cruises. The only thing that has put a hole in my balloon about the lobsters was the story that the cruise lines were serving prawns or South African lobsters. Of course I can't tell the difference between New England and South African lobsters. Just soak them in butter and they all taste the same.
Some of the loyal NCL cruisers are up in arms now as apparently NCL has completely done away with lobster on their ships. For years, there was a traditional "lobster night" in the MDR. Like you, I have no idea if these were of the quality of Maine lobster, but I suspect they were from other areas like the Caribbean. Recently the lobster night in the MDR was discontinued, but they were available in the buffet on a certain night. I did try them there, and they were quite large and tasty. Now, reports are that they are no longer available in the buffet either. Not sure if this is a supply or a cost problem or both. You can still get lobster for up charge in the specialty venues.

So maybe this is good news and and will enable NCL to return to lobster. I remember a few years back when there was a similar glut, the NCL ships in Boston had arranged pick ups of Maine lobster there for a while.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Usually the lobsters on a Caribbean cruise are the warm water Caribbean lobsters, not near as good as the cold water Maine lobsters....You never know, may-be the cruiselines will take advantage of the lower prices and get those??

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 3rd, 2014, 10:42 AM
First Mate

The so-called lobster that most of the Mass Market cruise lines serve is not really lobster at all. These "Slipper Lobsters" as the purveyors call them, are distant cousins of the Lobsters that you see in North America, or the Langoustines you see in Europe and Asia.
These "lobsters" are mostly harvested in warm water of the coast of South America and then frozen for years before they get to the ships.
Even when fresh, these warm water animals are mealy and have a dirty taste to them.
After sitting is freezers for years, they are mushy and generally disgusting when finally eaten.
The cruise lines serve them because:
1. They are much cheaper than real lobster.
2. Like Bonnyprincecharliee, most cruisers don't know or care that they are not very good.
Currently we are paying around US$5 per pound for the slipper lobsters and around US$20 per pound for the real Maine lobsters.
On my 2,400 passenger ship, we serve around 10,000 lobster tails on the formal night dinner. If you owned the ship (and a dozen others), and most of your passengers did not know or care about the difference in quality, which would you buy and serve?
Old July 3rd, 2014, 11:05 AM
Admiral

If you want the genuine article try a small ship cruise along the New England coast, such as with Blount, where the chef buys live lobsters while the ship is in port and cooks them for that evening's dinner.
Old July 5th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Captain

Default Great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
If you want the genuine article try a small ship cruise along the New England coast, such as with Blount, where the chef buys live lobsters while the ship is in port and cooks them for that evening's dinner.
I was on Grand Turk and took a sailboat cruise. On the cruise they offered a luncheon. About lunch time the female captain came on board with a giant lobster. I thought oh this is going to be great. She then said it was going to be dinner for her family and we got mac and cheese.