Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Captain

Default Escargot is threatened

France's snails have been contaminated with the New Guinea flatworm, which could "wipe out" snail populations

Escargot, one of France's signature dishes and my favorite on cruises could follow the dodo.

Snails, one of France's signature dishes, could be off the menu if the country fails to stem an invasion by a slimy worm from Southeast Asia, scientists warned on Tuesday.

The warning is being sounded over a voracious species called the New Guinea flatworm.

It is already on a list of the 100 most dangerous invasive species in the world as it has a relentless appetite for native snails and earthworms in places where it has been introduced.

Reporting in the journal PeerJ on Tuesday, a team of French experts said DNA tests had confirmed their worst fears: Platydemus manokwari has arrived in Europe.

"This species is extraordinarily invasive," said Jean-Lou Justine of the National Museum of Natural History. "I really hope it can be stopped at the earliest stages."
He added: "All snails in Europe could be wiped out.
"Platydemus manokwari represents a new and significant threat to biodiversity in France and Europe, which hosts hundreds of species of snails, some of which are endangered and protected," said PeerJ, a publisher of peer-reviewed studies.

I hope they can save the escargot.
Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
France's snails have been contaminated with the New Guinea flatworm, which could "wipe out" snail populations

Escargot, one of France's signature dishes and my favorite on cruises could follow the dodo.

Snails, one of France's signature dishes, could be off the menu if the country fails to stem an invasion by a slimy worm from Southeast Asia, scientists warned on Tuesday.

The warning is being sounded over a voracious species called the New Guinea flatworm.

It is already on a list of the 100 most dangerous invasive species in the world as it has a relentless appetite for native snails and earthworms in places where it has been introduced.

Reporting in the journal PeerJ on Tuesday, a team of French experts said DNA tests had confirmed their worst fears: Platydemus manokwari has arrived in Europe.

"This species is extraordinarily invasive," said Jean-Lou Justine of the National Museum of Natural History. "I really hope it can be stopped at the earliest stages."
He added: "All snails in Europe could be wiped out.
"Platydemus manokwari represents a new and significant threat to biodiversity in France and Europe, which hosts hundreds of species of snails, some of which are endangered and protected," said PeerJ, a publisher of peer-reviewed studies.

I hope they can save the escargot.

Not to worry.
Escargot have been in short supply for the past 18 months.
My company already has a backup plan in place.
We marinate pencil erasers in herb garlic butter and serve them as we usually serve the escargot. Better texture and slightly more pronounced flavor. So far, none of our "gourmands" has been able to tell the difference.
Old July 11th, 2014, 06:58 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Not to worry.
We marinate pencil erasers in herb garlic butter and serve them as we usually serve the escargot. Better texture and slightly more pronounced flavor. So far, none of our "gourmands" has been able to tell the difference.
Old July 11th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Not to worry.
I've always suspected this since cruise ships never seem able to serve it in the shells, not that that would be absolute proof of the genuine article but at least it would look more authentic. I suspect too many cruise ship 'gourmands' wouldn't know how to get the snails out of the shells, and thus the magical little serving dishes sans snail shells.
Old July 11th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
I've always suspected this since cruise ships never seem able to serve it in the shells, not that that would be absolute proof of the genuine article but at least it would look more authentic. I suspect too many cruise ship 'gourmands' wouldn't know how to get the snails out of the shells, and thus the magical little serving dishes sans snail shells.
Seriously, the USPH people have forbidden snail shells as serving utensils on ships. It is impossible to clean out the butter that works it's way to the bottom of the shells. Then the butter gets rancid and people get sick.

Oddly, there are many places in North America that still use the shells - and so far no mass poisonings have been reported.
Old July 11th, 2014, 11:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Seriously, the USPH people have forbidden snail shells as serving utensils on ships. It is impossible to clean out the butter that works it's way to the bottom of the shells. Then the butter gets rancid and people get sick.

Oddly, there are many places in North America that still use the shells - and so far no mass poisonings have been reported.

Thanks for the information, and I'm not surprised to learn that the USPH has such a stupid rule. They've kept many good things away from us that are universally loved outside the U.S. borders. Spanish and Italian air cured hams are a prime example. Funny how I've eaten a lot of them in Europe and other places, and never keeled over dead from the experience.
Old July 12th, 2014, 11:56 AM
First Mate

Quote:

OK, really dumb question from one who has never eaten escargot, and probably never will, but doesn't every snail come with it's own shell? You wouldn't cook and serve it in the shell ( like lobster ) and then discard the shell? You actually save some shells and then reuse them?? Surely not. Or are you just saying that between cooking and serving the butter in the shells can go bad?

What would the difference be between serving escargot in the shell and serving lobster in the shell? No butter added to the lobster in the cooking process?

PS. I told the husband maybe we should consider starting an escargot farm in the basement, like some grow earthworms. We might be able to save the species and maybe make a killing selling them to fine restaurants and cruise ships..
Old July 14th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbuggs View Post
OK, really dumb question from one who has never eaten escargot, and probably never will, but doesn't every snail come with it's own shell? You wouldn't cook and serve it in the shell ( like lobster ) and then discard the shell? You actually save some shells and then reuse them?? Surely not. Or are you just saying that between cooking and serving the butter in the shells can go bad?

What would the difference be between serving escargot in the shell and serving lobster in the shell? No butter added to the lobster in the cooking process?

PS. I told the husband maybe we should consider starting an escargot farm in the basement, like some grow earthworms. We might be able to save the species and maybe make a killing selling them to fine restaurants and cruise ships..
Processing snails for human consumption is difficult, expensive, and time consuming.
In a good restaurant, the snails are purchased live. They are then starved for several days until they have eliminated all body wastes. Then they are removed from their shells using a very strange tool that can reach into the coiled recesses of their shells. Quite a few of the shells are broken in the process. Then the snails are cooked while live, with lots of herbs.
Then the shells are stuffed with herbed butter, the pre-cooked snails are placed on top, and finally the whole thing is heated to melt the butter. The snails sink into the herbed butter just before they are served. When snails are prepared this way, you can actually taste the snail itself - as well as the herb butter or whatever sauce is served with them
But most restaurants - and most diners - cannot afford the prices for snails prepared this way.
Most restaurants - and all cruise lines - do it the cheap way. The snails are processed in a factory somewhere, cooked, and canned. The shells are cleaned and sold separately. Often, the shells are more expensive than the canned snails.
There are quite a few States that do not allow restaurants to re-use snail shells more than once. USPH will not allow the cruise lines to use the shells at all.
Serving escargot "Burgundy style" requires shells and herb butter. Many venues have opted for cheaper ceramic serving dishes that are easily cleaned - and approved by the various health departments.

Unfortunately, snails that have been cooked in a large factory and then stored in a can for many years before they are consumed have little to zero taste. it is only the herb butter they are normally served with that has any flavor.
Old July 15th, 2014, 10:20 AM
First Mate

Thanks, for the education!

You have now reinforced my opinion that ordering escargot is not something that I am ever likely to do!
Old July 19th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbuggs View Post
Thanks, for the education!

You have now reinforced my opinion that ordering escargot is not something that I am ever likely to do!
lol, I feel the same way ! I've already combed through the Steakhouse menu for my December Freedom cruise and the escargot was my first choice. I even asked if they were good on another social media site, lol.
No worries, this will give me an excuse to look at the menu again

Lyannea
Old July 20th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Heck, if you throw enough garlic and butter on anything it's good.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 21st, 2014, 06:50 AM
friedshrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Heck, if you throw enough garlic and butter on anything it's good.

Take care,
Mike
Of course. I'd eat cardboard if it had garlic and butter on it.
Old July 24th, 2014, 05:52 AM
Captain

Default I would eat most anything if soaked with garlic and butter

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedshrimp View Post
Of course. I'd eat cardboard if it had garlic and butter on it.
Garlic and butter are so good on anything, but I love them on escargots.