Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Captain

Default Liver on cruise ship menus

As a child I liked liver and as an adult I still like liver. At holiday time, I have a minor skirmish with my sister-in-law over the organ meat of the holiday turkey. On one cruise, I happened to mention to the dining room head waiter that i was wondering if liver would be on the menu. It didn't appear on the menu, but I was given a special dinner with liver as the main course. Needless to say I was pleased because I had been told that the crew had had liver at a previous meal and may have eaten all of the liver aboard the ship. This led me to wonder why there is an avoidance of organ meats, such as liver, on ship's menus. It seems that the closer we are to the a species the more emotionally or phylogenetically humans are about consuming it. Well I don't have alot of attachment to cows so I will continue to ask for liver on cruises.
Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Simple. Most people don't like liver, especially in the U.S. where offal is not even close to being popular. The cruise lines want menus that appeal to the largest cross-section of guests.
Old August 9th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Admiral

However, I happened to be looking through the dinner menus from one of our Holland America cruises in 1992 and lo and behold, the farewell dinner had the following entree choice:

MIXED GRILL - A charbroiled petite filet mignon, noisette of veal, lamb chop, and calves liver, with fresh vegetable sticks presented with stuffed potato.

However, since this was also Thanksgiving pretty much everyone on the cruise probably went with the following:

ROAST THANKSGIVING TURKEY - A traditional way to celebrate your Holland America Line cruise, served with giblet gravy, fresh cranberries, candied chestnuts, Brussels sprouts, sweet yams, and corn bread stuffing.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 10:19 PM
Admiral

Just got off a cruise on Silversea Silver Explorer and had foie gras on a number of occasions; usually double orders. Of course, the liver meatloaf on the lunch buffet one day was not that well received.

Marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old September 3rd, 2014, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Foie gras is a personal favorite. To me it's not in the same league as 'liver' even though that's what it is. Does that make sense?
Old September 4th, 2014, 04:53 AM
Captain

Default Foie gras, oh boy what a treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
Foie gras is a personal favorite. To me it's not in the same league as 'liver' even though that's what it is. Does that make sense?
Foie gras is fantastic as you know, to be consumed when found on a cruise and another favorite is Russian caviar.
Old September 4th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I love Foie Gras and have enjoyed on and off a number of ships. NCL, Celebrity, Oceania, Azamara all have great foie gras appetizers. All in their specialty restaurants. I have never seen it on the regular MDR menu.

Trivia Fact:

What was the first country to ban Foie Gras for animal cruelty reasons?

Nazi Germany:1933 I guess, Adolph liked geese more than people.

OK: Donald is a duck but it's the best I could find on Google images.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 4th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Familiar Face

Talking

Of course the Nazis loved geese; they even used to "goose-step" when marching!
Old September 4th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I can imagine the looks of the diners at the table, when liver would be served...everyone would be asking the waiter for clothes pins for their noses...lol

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 4th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Captain

The USA also forbids production of Foie Gras - but in a very unique way.

The US Government forbids the standard foie gras production method as it is considered torture for the ducks and geese who are subjected to it. Even importing fresh foie gras from another country that condones this practice is illegal in the USA.
Strangely, if you first convert that same fresh foreign foie gras into a pate and then put it into a can, the US Government will allow it into the country with no problem.
I fail to understand the reasoning of how the cooking and canning process of the livers reduces the torture the animals had to endure to get them that way.

But it gets even stranger.
Some time ago, a French family very famous for foie gras in France wanted to start a company in America. They were able to find a group of farmers who had studied the brains of ducks and geese. These farmers had identified the parts of the brains that controlled the appetites of the animals. They invented a process involving brain surgery on the ducks and geese, where a super-cold metal probe (minus 300 degrees Fahrenheit) was inserted into a small hole drilled through the skull of the animal.
This probe kills the part of the brain responsible for controlling the animal's appetite.
When the animal awakens from the surgery (and finds a small mountain of corn and other grains in front of him) he proceeds to eat himself to death, coincidentally producing the enlarged liver that we call Foie Gras. The part of his brain that would have stopped him once his belly was full is no longer operating.

When this new company submitted the procedure to the US Government for approval, it was accepted. The US Government folks reasoned that the European system of forcing grain down an animal's throat was torture because it was against the animal's will, where the new French/American system was done with no objection from the animal (after the unfortunate lobotomy).

All fresh Foie Gras legally available in America today is produced using the system outlined above, on a poultry farm in upstate New York. Since most protein items served on cruise ships must be purchased through a US Certified Vendor, this New York producer, called D'Artagnan, is the company that produces and sells the foie gras you eat on your cruise.
Old September 4th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I love Foie Gras and have enjoyed on and off a number of ships. NCL, Celebrity, Oceania, Azamara all have great foie gras appetizers. All in their specialty restaurants. I have never seen it on the regular MDR menu.

Take care,
Mike

Mike,
At a wholesale cost of well over US$40 per pound, very few cruise lines have a passenger feeding budget that can accommodate fresh (frozen) Foie Gras in the Dining Room. But I really wish they could.......................
Old September 4th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Mike,
At a wholesale cost of well over US$40 per pound, very few cruise lines have a passenger feeding budget that can accommodate fresh (frozen) Foie Gras in the Dining Room. But I really wish they could.......................
One night on our Silver Explorer cruise last month they changed a normal dinner to a buffet as they were anticipating lots of coming and going from the dining room due to animal sightings. One item on the buffet was tournedos rossini; a favorite of mine. I noticed that many people took the filet but left the foie gras behind; I just kept scooping up the foie gras; I think I had five pieces.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old September 5th, 2014, 01:34 AM
Familiar Face

Several years ago friends and I ordered--and thoroughly relished--a solo main course of seared foie gras for our final night's meal on Seabourn Pride. I have repeated that meal other times on Seabourn and it is just so fabulously rich and decadent--love it! You would too, Marc, I am sure.
Old September 6th, 2014, 05:16 AM
Captain

Default Foie gras and frog legs. Food of the gods

I love foie gras but I also love frog legs and yet I have rarely seen them on a cruise ship menu. Those tasty frog gams, cuisses de grenouilles, are so tasty. But the cruise ships don't seem to want to venture into the the offering of the garlic scented frog legs. I for one would consume them along with escargots. The jersey boys of fine cuisine: caviar, foie gras, frog legs and escargot.

Last edited by bonnyprincecharlie; September 6th, 2014 at 08:14 AM. Reason: add on thought 2
Old September 17th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Bonny ....

You have become so nicely sophisticated in the last couple of years. I remember when you first came here you were very nice and sociable, but I believe somewhat less experienced in the finer foods.

Eating unusual foods is part of what makes cruising so great.

I have had fois gras on many cruise ships, from Oceania to the chef's dinners on NCL and Holland America - all were delicious. In my opinion it is far better when served not as pate; but rather as a piece of freshly grilled meat.

Funny to say "Americans don't like liver" - because that is true today, but up until I was about 25 (in 19xx) it was a very common meal and served in most restaurants including regular coffee shops. It is very rich in complex vitamin B and protein. Normally, calves liver is not infused with fat like fois gras, though. I used to eat it all the time. It also used to be one of the "meals of the week" in a lot of American homes back in the 1950s - the one that kids hated the most (along with Brussels sprouts).

Ironically, if you want Frog's Legs I see them on the menu on Carnival almost every time I cruise with them, and they are good. (talk about something literally tasting like chicken).
Old September 17th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Admiral

The current Carnival menus indeed have frog legs one night, as well as braised rabbit, alligator fritters, oysters rockefeller on other nights. Rabbit is another meat that people shy from because of the 'easter bunny' effect, but I like it. Very lean and mild tasting, and yes, it also reminds many of chicken although it is actually leaner than chicken.