Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

Old December 13th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Default LeBistro escargot on Breakaway disappointing

Le BistroThe Norwegian Breakaway is quite a ship, and Le Bistro offered escargot so i made a dinner reservation at Le Bistro on one of the least busiest nights of the cruise. I ordered escargot and mouth watering anticipated the delivery of these delights. I was very disappointed. The snails themselves did not have the smooth texture they were almost chunky, worse of all the butter sauce lacked the rich garlic flavor. The sauce was bland and not even buttery. I told my waitress about my concerns and she returned after a few minutes to tell me that the chef had not put garlic in the escargot sauce. This was a real turnoff. i felt that this and the Fish night instead of a Lobster night during the cruise, especially when lobster is selling at a price about the same as beef, were real turnoffs. I really don't like to complain but messing up on escargot is inexcusable in a pay-for-a-meal specialty restaurant.
Old December 13th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I am not a fan of escargot, but I did think that garlic in the butter was a huge part of it?? Why not use garlic like it is supposed to have?

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 20th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Captain

As in the case with most foods, there are many different ways to prepare and cook them. Quite a few of these variations are based on regional preferences.

Escargot a la Bourgignon (Snails Burgundy style) is one of many hundreds of variations on cooking and serving snails. In the Burgundy district of France, it is very common to prepare and serve snails in Garlic Butter with herbs.

For those non-French diners who are not so worldly, they might assume that is the only correct way to cook and serve snails.
But in other parts of France - and in other parts of the world - the recipes are often quite different.

The same idea applies to just about any food, from any country.
I live in Japan half of the year.
Last week my ship was in Singapore.
I visited a famous Japanese restaurant there, but was unable to recognize any of the dishes served to me. Were they wrong? No. Just different.

An American who considers himself an expert on hamburgers would most likely be very surprised - and disappointed - to try a bisteak hache in France. Same idea - different recipe.

And when Americans have their required Thanksgiving Diner on a cruise ship, the menu is designed by a German corporate Chef, supervised by an Indian Executive Chef, prepared by a Filipino Cook, and served by a Jamaican Waiter, they are shocked and amazed that it does not look and taste exactly like the meal prepared by Aunt Mary on the farm in Ohio last year.
Is it wrong? No. Just different.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 07:21 AM
Admiral

Default Escargot a la Bourgigon

I will make sure that my Escargot is Escargot a la Bourgigon. Thaks for info.