Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2015, 05:26 AM
Admiral

Default Is foie gras available on ships?

Foie gras, originally a French delicacy, which is produced worldwide.
Several countries, including Britain, Germany, Italy and Argentina, have banned its production. But the sale of the pate is still allowed in most of them.
The Sao Paulo city council has set a fine of 5,000 reais (1,000) for restaurants and bars that break the new law.
"Foie gras is an appetiser for the wealthy," said the law's author, city councillor Laercio Benko.
"It does not benefit human health and to make it, the birds are submitted to a lot of suffering,'' said Mr Benko.
However Sao Paulo-based chef Alex Atala told the UOL news portal: "How can a city regulate what a person eats? Where will it all end?''
So the question remains will /is foie gras available on cruise ships?
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2015, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Not that I've ever seen, maybe on the luxury brands. Even though it's not usually advertised most ships have caviar perhaps you would have to ask for it?

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old July 10th, 2015, 11:58 AM
First Mate

Luxury lines serve it. A quick google search showed that both Seabourn and Oceania offer it. I would assume a company such as Regent would as well.
Old July 10th, 2015, 06:19 PM
Admiral

I will usually order seared foie gras every day for about a week; to get my fill. The rest of the time I just order it (terrine or seared) if it is on the menu. One of my other favorite special orders is steak tartare.

Marc

"Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero"

Horace

Seven Seas Explorer - Miami - Venice - Mar 2017

Silverseas Explorer - Arctic - Aug 2017

Seven Seas Voyager - Rome to Beijing - Oct 2017

Seven Seas Mariner - Lima to Buenos Aires - Jan 2018

Silverseas Explorer - Siberia - Jul 2018

Seven Seas Mariner - Australia Circumnavigation - Dec 2018
Old July 11th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Captain

There are massive differences between Pate de Foie Gras and Fois Gras Frais.
Pate is made from Grade C Foie Gras, which is not suitable for cooking.

There are even greater differences between the Foie Gras that most cruise lines purchase in the USA (Grade B) and the far better quality Foie Gras produced in Europe (Grade A).

US regulations prevent the single producer of Foie Gras in the USA from turning out a premium product.
Old July 11th, 2015, 11:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
There are massive differences between Pate de Foie Gras and Fois Gras Frais.
Pate is made from Grade C Foie Gras, which is not suitable for cooking.

There are even greater differences between the Foie Gras that most cruise lines purchase in the USA (Grade B) and the far better quality Foie Gras produced in Europe (Grade A).

US regulations prevent the single producer of Foie Gras in the USA from turning out a premium product.
No problem getting Grade A foie gras in the great U S of A!

Fresh Foie Gras (Duck) Grade "A" - Foie Gras

Marc

"Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero"

Horace

Seven Seas Explorer - Miami - Venice - Mar 2017

Silverseas Explorer - Arctic - Aug 2017

Seven Seas Voyager - Rome to Beijing - Oct 2017

Seven Seas Mariner - Lima to Buenos Aires - Jan 2018

Silverseas Explorer - Siberia - Jul 2018

Seven Seas Mariner - Australia Circumnavigation - Dec 2018
Old July 12th, 2015, 03:04 AM
First Mate

Another big supplier to the US is D'artagnan.

Buy Foie Gras Torchons, Terrines & Hudson Valley | D'Artagnan
Old July 12th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Admiral

We had foie gras at the Chef's Table dinner on the Royal Princess. Not sure of the grade. It was one of the things they served us in the galley part of the experience.
Old July 12th, 2015, 08:50 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
No problem getting Grade A foie gras in the great U S of A!

Fresh Foie Gras (Duck) Grade "A" - Foie Gras

Marc
Yes, the producer calls it Grade A. But that is "American" Grade A.
The rest of the world calls it Grade B.

How do those folks in the Hudson Valley get away with this?
They are the ONLY producer of Foie Gras in America. They work together with D'Artagnan. And they claim that they produce the best Foie Gras in America - which is true (as the only producer).

If you examine Hudson Valley / D"Artagnan Fresh Foie Gras next to European Foie Gras, the difference is very obvious. The American product is filled with veins and other flaws. The liver color is pinkish. That's Grade B in Europe.

How do they make it in America?
By performing lobotomies on Ducks.

PETA and the ASPCA lobbied the US Government to outlaw fresh Foie Gras in America based on the torturing of Ducks and Geese required to produce it. Strangely the US Government ruled that if Europeans used Grade C Foie Gras, steamed and pureed it, and then put it in a tin, it was somehow less painful to the Ducks and Geese and could be legally imported into the USA as Pate de Foie Gras. But the fresh livers cannot legally be brought into America.

Those clever folks at D'Artagnan came up with a great idea.
They could not legally force feed the Ducks and Geese in America to fatten their livers. But suppose those animals voluntarily over-ate themselves to death?

The Hudson Valley and D'Artagnan folks first imported the same Duck breed that is used in Europe. These Mullard ducks are a cross between Mallard and Muscovy.
Then they did some research on how a duck's brain operates. They located the part of the brain that controls the duck's appetite.
After the duck matures, they perform brain surgery on each duck, destroying the part of the brain that tells the duck when he has had enough to eat. (Sounds a bit like some cruise passengers I know.)

When the duck wakes up from his surgery, there is a small mountain of grain sitting in front of him. The duck takes a few weeks to "voluntarily" eat himself to death, in the process enlarging his liver and producing American Foie Gras.

The US Government approved this procedure as humane, as nobody actually "forces" the ducks to eat all that grain.

The American product is not bad. But it lacks the silkiness and richness of the A Grade Foie Gras produced in France and Hungary.
It also lacks the price. Fresh Hudson Valley Foie Gras sells wholesale for less than US$50 per pound.

Fresh French Foie Gras (A Grade) sells for nearly double that much.
Old July 12th, 2015, 11:38 PM
Admiral

Do you work in the industry or did you just google this?

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old July 14th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace View Post
Do you work in the industry or did you just google this?
My background is F&B. But I manage cruise ships.
Many years ago I opened and operated the top rated (and most expensive) French Restaurant in America.
A very good friend of mine was Andre Daguin, the legendary Chef / Owner of the Michelin 3 Star "Hotel de Paris" Restaurant in Auch, Gascony. For decades he was the king of French Foie Gras.

His daughter, Arienne Daguin, moved to America and started D'Artagnan, the company that produces American Foie Gras in the Hudson Valley. For the first several years of their operation, my restaurant purchased over 50% of their entire production.
Then the Reichardt Duck Farm in California was able to copy the Hudson Valley duck farmers, producing a slightly better product. I switched over to their products. But it didn't last very long. The animal rights people in California forced Reichardt to stop production, leaving D'Artagnan as the sole legal producer / distributor of American Foie Gras.
And in answer to the original question, yes it is available on cruise ships. But since the USPH only approves of us buying protein products from US Certified Dealers, and since those US Certified Dealers exist only in the USA (and because American Foie Gras is much cheaper than the European) the cruise lines mostly buy the cheaper one from the USA.

By the way, the Chinese are also producing their own version of Foie Gras, using Chinese Ducks. They do, after all, have far more ducks than anyone else on earth. The quality is similar to American Foie Gras, but far less expensive.
Old July 17th, 2015, 05:43 AM
Admiral

Even if foie gras is not offered on my cruise, i have a great conversation subject to share with my cruisemates. Thanks for info.
Old August 16th, 2017, 03:47 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I didn't like Foie gras before I tried it in France at a place of my very french friend I don't care how they make it but it's so damn good!!!