Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2000, 01:13 AM
Admiral

Default Why do we overpack?

I can tell anyone how to pack, what to take on a cruise of any duration, sailing in any part of the world. So, why do I always over pack myself? Is it because my suitcase is too large, or, perhaps it's insecurity. Any theories out there?
Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2000, 03:58 PM
cheri

Default RE: Why do we overpack?

My husband told me I was going to be limited to one suitcase: I just went out and bought the biggest thing I've ever seen. the laugh is on him -- it's only one suitcase. Never having sailed before, I'm not sure how much clothing I will need but I want to be prepared for every eventuality! I assume that on sea days I will not need too many clothes. Plan on spending a lot of time enjoying the ocean from our balcony anyway so no one will see what I have on! After watching the TLC "Secrets of the Cruise Ship" I now have some sort of idea what clothing is appropriate although I will say some of those people looked like they were going to a biker bar. Thanks for all your help!
Old August 22nd, 2000, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Cheri,
You know you can also pack a garment bag for all those dressy dresses and your husbands suits, I think they get a little less wrinkled that way. I love the idea of your "biggest suitcase", sure you will get everything in. BTW, I hope it has wheeles on it?? Glad you caught that show, very informative I thought, now I can't wait to cruise again.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old August 22nd, 2000, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

ok ...my name is trip,and i am an overpacker..........intentionally..i bring everything i can possibly think of that i will need for that week....one cruise the cabbie almost had a hernia getting the big monster to the cab,upon arrival at the airport,they then slapped an overweight sticker on it.....better the suitcase then me i thought
ps..........my shoes alone get their own shoe condo.......
Old August 22nd, 2000, 10:06 PM
cheri

A shoe condo - now why didn't I think of that!!! Yes my mammoth suitcase has wheels on it but I hope hubby is the one to pull it. I'll take his instead. He can get by with very little -- doesn't really care if he wears the same slacks or shorts two days in a row... now me on the other hand!!! The garment bag is a good idea and I guess technically it doesn't count as a "suitcase". thanks!
Old August 26th, 2000, 02:49 AM
neroli

I have discovered the secret to packing light--doing a bit of handwashing/laundry every night or two during the trip!

On my very first cruise, I thought that I had packed light (one backpack/25-lbs.), but I still ended up with way too much stuff--I never even used half of what I took! I worried so much about whether the ship had a laundry room or not. I don't worry about that anymore. I now do my own laundry in the hotel or stateroom (giving respect to the chambermaid or stateroom steward, by not leaving a big mess of stuff displayed all over the place), use biodegradable liquid soap, and have clean clothes everytime. Saves my back from packing too much! I'm the type who doesn't mind doing a little laundry on my vacation. 30 mins. of handwashing every night won't make me feel slighted in the least bit.

My luggage now consists of that same backpack, that includes my formalwear, snorkel gear, shoes, toiletries, plus a mini office supply kit and first aid/prescription meds--total weight approx. 18-lbs. And I'm still trying to take out stuff I feel that I can do without!

My goal this time is to travel with half my pack empty and fill it up with goodies from every port!

I've enjoyed the anticipation of preparing for my trip, waiting for the sail date, and most of all---I've stopped worrying about what I feel I can't do without. Nothing that a shipboard account card and a trip to the logo store can't cure ;-)

Happy travels everyone!
Old August 27th, 2000, 12:48 AM
Babette

It is not that we overpack, it is that we want a choice of what to wear!!!! If the day is cloudy and dank, I'd rather wear something bright and cheery rather than plain old navy blue... So I pack my "just in cases" .

Oh, my problem is shoes........can't have enough!!!!!
Old August 27th, 2000, 01:41 PM
Admiral

I KNOW that I'm going to catch it for this post but what the heck.....You ladies overpack because you are ladies and that is just the way it is. Us guys are happy to take one pair of shorts, t-shirt, change of underware, and a bathing suit. Sometimes we can even do without the underware. Just a differance in the mindset of the sexes. <VBG>
Jim
Old August 27th, 2000, 05:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Jim..
Either you're wrong, or I'm VERY in touch with my feminine side ...
I am DEFINATELY the overpacker in the family.
I wrote this article on packing awhile pack, and no one who read it.could believe I packed as much as I said I did. And here I thought I was doing good. <http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/hum-op/guy-packing.cfm>

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old August 27th, 2000, 07:10 PM
Passenger

What TLC special did you see about secrets of the cruise ships? Will it be replayed sometime soon?
Old August 27th, 2000, 08:16 PM
Passenger

I admit that this was a great article and yes you do pack alot BUT, lets all remember that you LOSE the keys to your luggage so what differance does it make? <>
Robo
Old August 28th, 2000, 11:33 PM
sassylyn

Kuki, loved your "What to pack for the Carribean" How about the same for Alaska? I've got a husband that thinks he should bring the tool shed.
Old August 30th, 2000, 11:37 PM
Cat

Kuki, I read pur artical on "packing" which sounds a lot like me. I have never taken a cruise before and I have already started packing. We leave next Sunday. So far I have 3 bags.....for me only. My other half hasn't even packed yet. I have about 7 pairs of swims suits, 15 shirts and tank tops, 10 pairs of shorts, 1 pair of jeans, 1 sweat shirt, 1 pair of sweat pants ( because my other halk likes to keep the room down to 55), 1 pair os sneakers, 3 pairs of dress shoes, 2 pairs of flip flops, 3 hats, 11 pairs of undies, 11 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of panty hoes, 4 bras, 2 pairs of sunglasses, one whole bag full of shampoo, beauty products, 10 or more hair ties, 2 brushes. The worst part is......I am still not done packing. I suppose that I don't need to bring all of this.........but what the heck, I would hate to be on the cruise and say in my mind "Darn, I wish I brought this shirt!".
Old August 31st, 2000, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

sassylyn wrote:
>
> Kuki, loved your "What to pack for the Carribean" How about
> the same for Alaska? I've got a husband that thinks he should
> bring the tool shed.
Sass,
I really missed the tool shed while we were in Alaska <G>

Alaska is a bit more difficult to pack for in that you need to pack for all seasons. Not too much for summer though.. lol
You'll also find that dress on Alaska cruises is a bit more casual. Blue jeans are basically the order of the day in ports, but pack a pair of shorts or two in case you hit great weather like we enjoyed.
The key to Alaska is having clothing you can layer, and comfortable walking shoes or hiking boots. I start with a short sleeved t shirt, then a warm comfy long sleeved over shirt, then a sweatshirt ( I use a hooded one. Mrs. Kuki doesn't care for it because it doesn't cover my face And to top that off, a rain jacket of poncho just in case. Of course, with the weather we had, I was walking around wearing my t shirt with all the other stuff wrapped around my waist<G>

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old August 31st, 2000, 09:11 PM
First Mate

help! tell me what to overpack for a trip to the eastern med. in oct.- italy the greek islands and turkey...thanks.
Old September 3rd, 2000, 03:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Don't ask Kuki! Last trip to Alaska he DID take the toolshed.
Old September 3rd, 2000, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think its always better to have a few extra pieces of clothes, for the "just in case" than not enough. I usually over-pack, but not by that much :-) You never know when you may have to lug that bag around, so I always keep that in mind.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 8th, 2000, 01:53 PM
Dawn Stefano

FEAR!!!! And because we don't want to do laundry on vacation.
Old September 9th, 2000, 02:45 AM
dawnyelle

Geez im afraid I wont have enough nice clothes to go around for 12 days I know I only have two pairs of shoes and a pair of sneakers...... I will just hope that I dont stand out like a sore thumb.... I am a fairly young mom of three and if i make it to the store i dont usually get much time to shop for clothes I have two formal outfits and a few informal and 4 or 5 casual .so think I will be ok ....If not,hey I dont know these people and I will never see them again !!!! I do want to look nice but I think in week two I will be repeating some outfits I imagine many people do this ( I hope)

Dawn
Old September 16th, 2000, 01:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Christine, the show that was previously mentioned was "Secrets of Cruise Lines" or something like that on TLC. It's part of their "On the Inside" series. I found the second half of the show most interesting (talking about actually going on the cruise, etc). I'm sure they will repeat it sometime -- perhaps check on discovery.com for the TLC network.

Harry
Old September 25th, 2000, 12:02 AM
web

Love to see your formal wear . . .how many pairs of shoes?
Old November 23rd, 2000, 09:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Kuki,

Loved your article about packing...still laughing.. I'm going on my first cruise in January and I'm a "just in case" kind of person..so I know I will be overpacking....my travel companion however, is a procrastinater..she's not planning ahead, so I know she will forget things, so I'm trying to cover for her...