Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2000, 11:37 AM
Al Neill (zymus)

Default Packing for the Millennium Oct 12

This goes to everyone but especially to Kuki. I would be curious to see ho much stuff he is going to pack, and what type. I am working on my packing list to make sure I have enough of everything for a long trip.
Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2000, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default RE: Packing for the Millennium Oct 12

Al,
U're asking the wrong person for packing advice. I am a NOTORIOUS overpacker. I'd rather drag along an extra suitcase than find there's pair of shorts I'd like to wear that are sitting in my closet at home.
I normally take enough of everything that there's no need for laundry service. Just keep filling the suitcases with dirty clothing. When they're full, we know it's time to go home!
That said, this Europe trip will be different (I say that every time<G>). To begin with we're limited to one carry one each by the airline. Secondly, I'm spending two days in NY, and three in Venice, before boarding the ship, so I'm not going to want to be lugging all those cases from place to place.
So.. this trip my plan is to take less, and let the ship's laundry make a couple of bucks off me. We'll see if I can actually pull it off.
A couple of things for Europe, in the fall, that you probably want to be sure to have along.. a rain jacket or poncho, and a warmish something (sweatshirt, jacket or the like).
Below is a link to an article I wrote some time ago about MY packing habits. No one could believe that it fits into one suitcase and a carry on!
<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/hum-op/guy-packing.cfm>

Regards,
Kuki
Old September 23rd, 2000, 12:48 PM
Al Neill (zymus)

Kuki, thanks for the advice, I have the sweatshirt packed already, will have to work the jacket (I dont own many light jackets, a it tends to go right from nice weather to winter weather gear here

I tend to be an overpacker too but I think it would be hard to overpack for being away from home for so long, especially since I have to take a suit and a tux along, i figure I will also be using the laundry some too.

That being said, here is a portion of my packing list I am working on:

Shirts
Polo 8
Button-short 5
Button-long 4
Tee 7
Plain (for under formal shirts) 4
Sweatshirt 1
Underwear 16 (they are small and who wants to pay a buck each to wash em?)

Shorts 6
Jeans 1
Dockers 6
Slacks 2
Sweats 3

Tuxedo 1
Suit 1
Ties 4
Bowtie 1
Formal Shirts 4

Dress Shoes 2 pair
Socks 10 pair
Dress Socks 6 pair
Sandals 2 pair
Walking Shoes 2 pair

Of course there is more but that is the gist of it
Old September 23rd, 2000, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Al.... and don't foiget the new bride, U're not used to dragging her around with U yet..

Regards,
Kuki
Old September 27th, 2000, 02:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

I thought it was cool in Oct?? Oh I can see me dragging a trunk on board!! My husband is going to kill me!!!
Old September 29th, 2000, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Hi Al, Having just returned from some of your European ports I can help with the packing list. Cut the number of your underwear & socks in half. Rinse out these things every other day with shampoo or bar soap and hang in the shower. Instead of a suit, bring one sport jacket which you could wear with your slacks and different short or LS dress shirts & bring just 2 or 3 ties. Golf style or sport shirts are perfect for daytime or casual evenings and can match your shorts and you will not need 6 pair of shorts, try 4. Conservative dress is the norm in Italy and many countries, but not shorts. Eliminate the jeans, as they are heavy to wear & pack unless you plan to participate in the 50''s night. Also eliminate one pair of sandles but be sure to have comfortable walking shoes. Your jacket could be a lined windbreaker or cotton jacket.
Don't forget a water bottle and a tote bag or back pack and a money pouch for safety. Ladies should not carry a handbag on tours, etc. Tours are long and it can get hot.
Bon Voyage
Old October 9th, 2000, 10:45 PM
AR

Wow--

Al, if it's not too late and you're reading this, take what Nanatravel says to heart. Your list is WAY too long. Regardless of what Kuki says, less is better. She's especially right about the underwear and substituting a sport jacket for the suit.

Remember that international flights have checked baggage limitations as well as carry-on limitations. Shorts will be problematic, both from a weather point of view and a propriety point of view off the ship, as she points out. Wash out your drawers at night, take along something warm and cozy (to wear, that is), and let it go with that.

Seriously, do yourself a big favor and cut way back.

We're on the cruise after you and we wouldn't want your luggage to sink the ship!

AR