Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 1st, 2000, 01:16 PM
Shellyce

Default cover-ups for by the pool

Ok, this is kind of a silly question,but it is my first cruise
Every packing list I have seen mentions cover-ups. I don't own any! I just usually wear a t-shirt over my swimsuit-am I going to feel stupid? I don't want to look "scummy", but I haven't even seen any in the stores (of course, it's kind of late in the season..).
Any help is appreciated and any other items you think are an absolute must would be great to know about!
Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2000, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: cover-ups for by the pool

Hi Shellyce,
Yes, it is kind of late to find any of those cover-ups you mentioned. Actually the t-shirt will do or you can also throw on a pair of shorts, that works too. Its just not a good idea to be walking all over the ship in just a bathing suit. If you're by the pool and want to go get something to eat, you can just put on the shorts and t-shirt and go inside for lunch. If you plan on being gone for some time it may be a good idea to free up that lounge chair and get another one when you decide to come back. As you will notice the ones by the pool are always at a premium and hard to get after a certain hour. If more people would free them up while going to eat, etc. instead of saving them, makes the others looking for them less frustrated, but that just gets into the typical gripe by many cruisers. Enjoy your cruise and if you really want one of those cover-ups, they sell them in the ships
stores too, enjoy.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old October 1st, 2000, 09:12 PM
Shellyce

Thanks for your response-I will probably just go with the t-shirt and shorts. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable just wandering around in only a swimsuit!
I have read A LOT about the chairs. It's frankly not a big deal to me and it's definitley not worth letting someone's else's inconsiderate behavior ruin my time by the pool. But I had already made a mental note to make sure and not participate in such a rude practice (saving a chair all day). Thanks for mentioning it-it's too bad more people don't pay attention to reviews.
Old October 5th, 2000, 12:31 PM
Passenger

I use a large scarf and tie it around my waist.
Old October 5th, 2000, 11:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Marge:

Lucky you, can't find any scarves large enough for me. But I got a cover up when I was in Hawaii last year
Old October 7th, 2000, 08:10 AM
web

Default cover-ups/pareos

Last year on the Grandeur of the Seas we didn't get our luggage until the 3rd day.
I ended up going to the shops on board every day looking for stuff to wear the next day -I bought a sarong-this was basically a tablecloth that measured 3 ft by 6 ft. It can be worn as a skirt, dress if you're really slim or a cover-up-
Anybody know where to buy fabric that is finished on the edge so it doesn't ravel?
Anybody know if you can use stitch witch (that iron on stuff) to 'hem' the edge so that you could just buy stuff at wal mart or hancock's?
Happy sailing- web
Old October 7th, 2000, 05:01 PM
Admiral

T-shirts are NOT scummy. (See my story on T-shirts in the current issue of Cruise Travel which celebrates the T-shirt).

Balancing, I love parejos and recently got a great one from A.B. Lambdin ... black and sheer and floaty, one size fits all. Just tie it on and go. If I'm feeling like I've been to too many midnight buffets, I tie it high. If I'm feeling less than fat, I tie it around my waist. (Rare, but kinda sexy.)
Old October 10th, 2000, 10:47 PM
Rene

I have been on several cruises and have always worn t-shirts and shorts to the pool. I have never felt 'scummy'. Lots of others will be doing the same thing. I wouldn't stress about it.
Old October 12th, 2000, 12:59 PM
Dawn Stefano

If you decide to go for a cover-up or sarong, try:

<http://www.ablambdin.com>

The specialize in vacation apparel and sell it all year round.
Old November 3rd, 2000, 10:32 AM
Beginner

This was a question I had too, so glad you posted it!! One of my suits has the sheer tie around (for the bottom half) and from what I've read here this works. But that leaves the top. Did you see gals in two-piece suits where their fanny was covered but the top was just the bra of the two-piece? Tammie
Old November 3rd, 2000, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Tammie,
I've done that, but with a 1 piece suit. Think just throw a t-shirt on over the top?
Should work.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old November 8th, 2000, 07:05 PM
First Mate

Just a comment on the T-shirt/shorts etc. Wearing them in the formal diningroom is a "no-no" on some cruiselines! On HAL our pals were asked -nicely - to use the Lido dining area. He had on a sleeveless rather scruffy T-shirt -as they had been sunning. She had on a bikini with a long-sleeved rather sheer fabric cover-up. SHE was fine; they took a dim view of HIS attire. On Zenith to Bermuda; Celebrity - they just gave up on the NYC idea of "chic" - We saw NOONE being turned away [ and some should have been; formal night in the main diningroom does NOT mean Motorcycle T-shirts ala tattoo exposed!] One of the fun things about cruises is the ability to dress up & wear all kinds of resort/cruise wear!
Old January 21st, 2001, 10:02 PM
Brittany

does anyone know where to buy a terry-cloth swimsuit cover-up with a hood? these are sooooo cute but I can't find anywhere to buy them cheap! Anyone have any idea??? Thanks!
Old January 23rd, 2001, 03:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Wearing a top in most of the Caribbean and most Carnival Ships is optional, so don't worry about whether you have a top on or not. You are on a cruise ship where you will never see these people again (probably) enjoy.....
Old February 26th, 2001, 08:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

I saw some cute ones at Target. They came in white and black. My recollection is that they were very reasonably priced for coverups ~$15.