Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 16th, 2000, 10:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Luggage and packing

I'm a first time cruiser going in January and I need to buy some luggage for my 7 day cruise. My question is ..how MUCH luggage should I take.. I was thinking about buying the biggest suitcase I could find please take a carry on. I'm also taking some snorkeling equip (minus the fins). My list of what I'm taking is getting kind of long. ..lol...Do you think two suitcases will be enough for a 7 day cruise. ? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2000, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Default RE: Luggage and packing

Buying a 30 inch suitcase may seem practical but it will get very heavy. For a cruise, you always need a carry-on which should hold one change of outfit for when you board i.e. shots, t-shirt, slacks & top (especially if the climate is totally different from your home), your medication/personal products kit (ladies makeup & hair supplies), jewelry and camera, also a change of underwear, hose, night clothers (pj's) and a swim suit and change of shoes. Plus don't forget your favorite book for the plane, travel doc's and anything you could not buy once on board. This is beacuase your luggage may not arrive at your cabin until later in the evening when you are at dinner or you must need to change into more climate acceptable clothes. If you are traveling as a couple, I highly recommend a total of 3 pieces of checked luggage for a 7 night cruise, plus each with a carry-on. Two 26"-28" suitcases (his & hers) plus a garment bag. As a couple I recommend that you always pack one formal outfit including shoes, one casual outfit including a pair of shoes, one swim suit, and one shorts set in the other person'a luggage. Usually only one suitcase would gets lost if any get lost at all. The overall record of lost luggage is very good for cruising. Try e-bags.com for comparable price quotes on luggage.
Bon Voyage
Old November 17th, 2000, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Brneyznfl,
You also have to keep in mind the limit of luggage you can take on an airplane. I think the advice from Nan was right on the money. We too have 3 pieces that we check in, one being a garment bag. We then have 2 carry-on, one with the usual stuff, change of clothes etc. and the other with the camera stuff. I believe that most of the airlines will allow you 2 pieces of carry-on per person and that will include the ladies purses. Its also a good idea with large suitcases to always get them with wheels, because yes they do get rather heavy. Enjoy your 7 day cruise.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old November 17th, 2000, 08:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the great advice. I'm fortunate as I live close to New Orleans (sailing on the Inspiration) so I will be driving. I'm hoping that I will be able to carry on my own luggage boarding the ship (anyone had any experience with this?)..so I'm trying to limit it to one carry on and 1 regular size suitcase (with wheels of course). Plus I had the idea to wear a backpack. I'm hoping all of this will do the trick, I guess I won't know til I start packing!
Old November 18th, 2000, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

The backpack is a great idea! We just packed it when we boarded, but used it during every shore excursion and also when we left (to cart back some of our purchases). The school-size ones are great -- and look for lots of pockets to keep it organized. (I used one pocket for our shore tickets, one pocket for the camera, and dumped everything else in the main part).

In terms of luggage, I ended up not going to any additional expense, and went with the "begged, borrowed and stole" method. For two people, we had two garment bags, one 24-inch suitcase, one carry-on tote, and one gym-style tote bag (for shoes, and purchases, and dirty clothes when we left). But I can tell you, the people with wheeled luggage had a distinct advantage, 'cause getting a porter at the terminal was a pain.

I loved the garment bags, though -- when we got in the cabin, I just opened 'em up and pulled out everything that needed to be hung. Saved mucho time. Plus, be sure and use the dry-cleaning bag trick -- works great.

Anyway, if you wanted some more tips from this former first-timer, check out my note titled "List of glad we packed, etc" on this board. I kept notes when we got back from our trip earlier this month.

Harry
Old November 18th, 2000, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Brneyznfl,

I usually take a two-suiter and a "pilot's case" (large carry-on), both on wheels. I have no trouble packing plenty of clothes for a two-week trip into those two bags, along with my toiletries, shoes, etc. In addition, I generally pack my travel documents, reading material, medicines, etc., in my briefcase. That way, I can carry the pilot's case (which always contains enough clothes to "get by" for a couple of days) aboard the plane going to the ship and check it on the way home (when nothing is really essential). The larger suitcase gets checked both ways and the brief case gets carried both ways. The brief case sits nicely on top of the "pilot's case" so I can manage everything with two hands.

I did arrive at the pier with my luggage once, and decided to take everything aboard myself. That arrangement did work out satisfactorily. Carrying everything up the accommodation ladder was a minor inconvenience (you can always make two trips), but the advantage was that I had everything upon arrival in my stateroom.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old November 20th, 2000, 09:59 PM
Passenger

Stop- think & be tuthless with yourself & your pakcing list. Make a list of everything you thing you'll need & then cut it in half. We just returned from a
7 day cruise on Ocean Princess- we took 2 huge 29 inch pullmans with wheels
plus a carryon & duffle packed with cokes. I unpacked today & did laundry- I had
at least half a suitcase full of clean clothes we didn't need . . .
and even if you don't have to worry about the airline, think about getting all that stuff in & out of your car
Happy sailing . . .web . . .
Old November 20th, 2000, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Web,
That is so true, thanks for the packing tips :-) BTW, how did you enjoy Ocean Princess, she's a beauty, isn't she?

Donnassei/Sealover
Old November 21st, 2000, 04:23 PM
First Mate

In answer to your "Most airlines allow 2 pieces of carry-ons" don't bet the farm on it! Just returned in October from Med. cruise on the Grand [Princess} I had my packing down to an exact science; Two carry-on sized suitcases [ They fit Denver's templates, some of the strictest] The one was "Cabin sized" on wheels, the other rested on the first but was heavy. We flew Lufthansa out of Chicago & NOBODY was allowed two carry-ons; I mean NOBODY! [ my purse was rather small and inside the carry-on] And they pulled probably 35 bags in Chicago. WE flew to Frankfurt, then on to Istanbul -with 20 minutes on the ground; we made it -luggage didn't. I NORMALLY check everything except a purse; I hate carrying the heavy stuff -but this time I thought I would try and beat the "OH, YOUR luggage -Sorry; its in Copenhagen" syndrome. I was cruising without my husband, but WITH a group of 45. And, by the way - I had plenty in my two bags [ the checked one showed up at midnight of the first night, as did everybody elses in our group!] for my 12 day cruise; in fact had one outfit I didn't wear! Anne
Old November 28th, 2000, 04:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

thanks for the tip. leaving Dec 10. Wanting to take a bag with pepsi in it. Do you have any problems? Did you drink them all?

thanks
red
Old January 6th, 2001, 02:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

I always check a vinyl bag filled with 16/20 oz drinks & never had a problem. On my last cruise my room steward even brought me a styrofoam cooler to keep them cold. An extra advantage of the separate bag is no worries about leaks & at the end of the trip you have an empty bag to use for souvineers or dirty clothes.