Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2001, 04:47 PM
Dwan

Default Long sleeved evening gown

First time cruiser here. I have in mind a sparkly dress, but it has long sleeves. Will I be out of place in a long sleeved evening gown? Most dresses "evening gowns" I see are sleeveless. Do you ever see long sleeved evening gowns for a West Carribean cruise? I've never gotten to dress up like this before so this is fun, but unsure about the styles. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2001, 06:25 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Long sleeved evening gown

You should be fine in a long sleeve gown. I have worn sleeveless and about froze in the dining room. I usually have a wrap since it is almost always cool on the ships in the evenings. I would say wear it and enjoy being dressed up. You will see many different styles.

Kathy
Old February 20th, 2001, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Dwan,
No, I've usually worn long sleeves to dinner, mainly because the dinning rooms tend to be chilly, so you will devinately feel better if you are like me. If I'm wearing something with short or no sleeves, I take along a cover-up or sweater. You should be just fine. Go and enjoy the dinners in the dinning room, have fun.

Here is a link to some information that is great for first time cruisers:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/first-time/index.cfm>

Donnassei
Old February 21st, 2001, 04:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lori

I don't want to discourage you from taking a long-sleeved gown; it would be appropriate on any cruise. But, if you are taking a 7-day or longer cruise, remember you will have two formal nights. From a packing perspective, you might want to consider a long skirt with two different tops, or a dress that you can change wraps, jewelry, etc., to make two outfits. Just something for you to think about. Your dress sounds gorgeous, though!
Old February 21st, 2001, 05:55 PM
Admiral

Although the fashion today is strapless or sleeveless, you will see many styles of formal wear even ethnic dress which is absolutely elegant. Wear your special dress with grace and style and have a wonderful time. Mature women should always cover their upper arms no matter what season or climate.
Bon Voyage
Old February 22nd, 2001, 08:54 AM
Tori

Nanatravel wrote:
>
> Although the fashion today is strapless or sleeveless, you
> will see many styles of formal wear even ethnic dress which
> is absolutely elegant. Wear your special dress with grace and
> style and have a wonderful time. Mature women should always
> cover their upper arms no matter what season or climate.
> Bon Voyage

I am curious as to what age a woman is considered mature. In 3 days I will be sailing away on a honeymoon cruise and my evening gown is sleeveless.
I am 41, am I to old to wear this gown?
Old February 22nd, 2001, 10:52 AM
Admiral

No, Congratulations and Best Wishes on your upcoming marriage.
Old February 22nd, 2001, 11:24 AM
Dwan

Hi there! I'm the one who first asked about the long sleeve issue. I'm to be 34 by the time we take our cruise and the comment about mature women still just makes me smile big. I just still don't feel "mature", guess I'm young at heart. I think if you look and feel great in a sleeveless go for it! I know I would and hope to at 40....45....or 50 :-) I just love these boards and thank you to every one who has answered or has more to say on the subject. It has really eased my unsurity of the longsleeves. Sounds like everyone where's just about anything. Here is what my travel agent had to say: You will see everything from strapless short to long sleeved-long dresses. Enjoy your cruise and be comfortable in whatever you wear mature or not :-) I still have to smile and say it sure is nice to know that I'm mature. I still feel 21...well maybe 25, maybe because after 10 years of marriage we finally are getting to take a honeymoon!
Old March 5th, 2001, 08:04 PM
Sue B

Sleeveless, long sleeves, strapped or strapless. Long, mid, short. Evening/Cocktal...... Go For It! As long as it is dress-up /formal...and you feel classy, it's appropriate. Actually a wrap or sleeves it a good idea as it can be chilly in the dining rooms and breezy on deck at times for that midnight stroll. I have a basic black dress that I have accessorized in many different ways and then I get a new little (Ha Ha women sized...) dress for each cruise. Something I can wear to other occasions over the next year. Always something I can easily pack and fold and can be easily fixed with the steamer. I feel classy and always fit it to the theme of things. Mature women have alot going for themselves. We have been there, done all that and still can find adventures ahead. All you 20 somethings should have your fun, but know the best is yet to come!!!!
Old May 3rd, 2001, 01:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

I don't think age as much as your shape should dictate what you wear, If your 65 and have great arms, show them off, but please even if your 18 and have those rolls of flesh hanging to your waist by all means cover them up!! By the way, I'm 34, I intend on wearing a sleeveless, maybe even backless gown, I look good enough for it, although after 4 kids I will not be wearing a bikini any more.