Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 2nd, 2001, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Luggage

Hi. I am going on my first cruise. The cruise is 10 nights. After that I am staying in Honolulu for 6 additional nights.

Right now I have an upright which is not the largest size, and a dufflebag type carry on. I'm thinking I need something else like a garment bag to carry dresses.

Please ladies, help me out here. I have no idea how I'm going to get everything packed.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2001, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Luggage

Hi Lisa,
Yes, the garment bag is just what you need, my husband and I share one and it really helps. Another good tip for packing those nice dresses is to put them in the plastic cleaner bags, really saves on the wrinkles, have fun.

Donnassei
Old April 4th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall

Thank you Donna. Anything I should look for in a garment bag? Any advice would be appreciated.

Lisa
Old April 4th, 2001, 09:44 AM
Admiral

Hi Lisa,
We found a real nice American Tourister on wheels, must have those. It also has lots of little compartments to store shoes, etc. Look for something thats easy to manage, both my husband and I share the garment bag and it works out well, good luck with the shopping.

Donnassei
Old April 4th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Admiral

I found a nice one real chear at a discount store and it has wheels. Some can be quite pricey. Get the biggest suitcase you can on wheels! On cruise ship you can have some of your outfits cleaned so when you get off ship you will have those clothes to wear again
Old April 4th, 2001, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the great advice. Now I have to decide WHAT clothes to bring!

Lisa
Old April 5th, 2001, 12:35 PM
FrankM

Default Re: Film in Carry-on Luggage

Lisa,

This is for you in reference to your question on another string about film exposure by the security x-ray machines at airports. I DID HAVE FILM SPOILED BY REPEATED PASSES THROUGH THE SECURITY X-RAY MACHINES.I carry film and camera in my carry-on bag. I keep the the film in a large zip-lock bag and hand it around the x-ray machine to a Security Officer to hand inspect. However, I inadvertently left one roll in the bottom of my camera bag and it went through the x-ray multiple times before I noteced it. It was an unused roll of film which I then used. The x-rays had created a dark cast over the whole roll of film, thus tainting my photos. There could be no other reason for this to happen than the repeated passing of film through the airport x-ray machines. None of my other rolls of film were affected.

Never, never, never leave your film, exposed or unexposed, in your checked luggage. Luggage is randomlly chosen for a check and is passed through a stronger x-ray machine. It could very well ruin your film. Now, I also pass my camera around the security x-ray machine if I have film in it. I won't take any more chances of loosing a roll of film to x-rays.

Take care of your film. Your vacation pictures are priceless.

Have a good cruise.

Frank M
Old April 5th, 2001, 05:29 PM
Emma Brent

I purchased one of those heavy plastic bags that you put film into (think is black inside). I alway put my film in it and always put in overhead carryon luggage. Since 1986 I have never had any film ruined by X-ray. Also, put camera in my carryon bag that goes under seat and have been lucky that film in camera has never been ruined, since is not in protected plastic bag. If you value your photos, always bring home in carryon.
Old April 5th, 2001, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Lisa wrote:
>
> Thanks for the great advice. Now I have to decide WHAT
> clothes to bring!
>
> Lisa

Hi there Lisa,
I think what clothes to bring is the hardest part, enjoy!

<BGSOUND balance=0 loop=1 src="http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/4694/dangerou.mid" volume=-500>

Donnassei
Old April 9th, 2001, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Thank you very much for the reply. It's so nice to hear from people who have experience with these things. Do you know if camcorder tapes can get ruined, also?

Lisa
Old April 9th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Emma Brent

I do not have any knowledge of camcorder tapes. Maybe someone does.
Old April 10th, 2001, 01:05 PM
Admiral

I would take any video tapes out of the camera and carry on... also, if you are flying, make sure your video camera battery is charged as they may ask you to turn the camera on and open it for them - security made us do that on flight to Hawaii - assume they were making sure it was really a camera and not a bomb!
Old April 10th, 2001, 03:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lori

If you are purchasing new luggage for your trip (that will be checked), it will be treated very roughly, by both the airline and the cruise line. Get something sturdy and practical, but don't invest a lot of money. That way you won't be disappointed when you get home with your "beat up" luggage.
Old April 11th, 2001, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Good Advice. Thank you. Too bad they have to be so rough with things.

Lisa
Old April 11th, 2001, 08:29 AM
Admiral

Thank you so much. I never would have thought of making sure the battery was charged for that.

Lisa