Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 1st, 2001, 06:37 PM
Passenger

Default Dress codes??

I am a first timer of celebrity and would like some suggestions as to what I should wear. Formal, i know many men wear tuxes what about women, are we talking a dress that could be worn to a prom or less. What I mean is, are they wearing beaded dresses or something a little less than that. How about on the ship during the day are shorts and jeans okay. The reason I ask is in celebrity's brochures there seem to be strict dress codes in the back.
Thanks for any Information,
Amanda
Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2001, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Dress codes??

Hi Amanda,
Yes, you can pack those fancy "prom" like dresses, or a nice cocktail dress will also look nice. Normally the first of the formal nights is just a tad more formal, so wear the fanciest dress that night, usually the 2nd night out for a 7 day cruise.

As for dressing during the day, yes shorts, jean shorts are fine, just be comfortable and you will need some kind of cover-up if you are going into the dinning rooms or eating in the ship. I usually just throw on a pair of shorts over the suit, works out fine.

I too want to give Celebrity a try, so post back and let us know how you enjoyed it, thanks.

Donnassei
Old May 2nd, 2001, 11:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Just returned from 4/18 Infinity to Hawaii. Dress to the nines if you like. Saw many long dresses, beaded dresses, short cocktail dresses, fancy pant suits, lots of tuxes and many dark suites.

As for the evening "casual", resort wear is appropriate - slacks, blouses, dresses, just about anything - except shorts. No shorts in the main dining room. Shorts can be worn on deck and most areas of the ship - except the main dining room. Also, on the Infinity, formal attire is required in the specialty restaurant - SS United States.

Enjoy your cruise - this was our first time on Celebrity and it won't be our last!

Pooh Bear
=^-.-^=
Old May 4th, 2001, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Celebrity cruisers usually have a full circle of formal attire from the ball gown, beads & velvet, silk or satin dress or long gown or pants suit to a great little strapeless or spaghetti stapped black coctail dress. Men in tuxes or a dark suit are so distinguised. Smart casual is nice pants outfits, skirt or dress outfits like the jumper style with a little jacket or sweater top (don't forget the lounges are very airconditioned) worn with sandals, slides or flats. No shorts or jeans and sneakers in the evenings. Guys will want to wear docker/chino style slacks with a cotton or knit or silk sport shirt or collarles shirt, etc. with loafers or boat shoes. If you still have an informal or semi-formal night, that is a sport coat, slacks, shirt & tie for the men with the lady wearing a nice dress or pants suit with heels, etc. It was mentioned that the alternative restaurant was formal dress. I disagree, as it was Informal - the jacket and tie are required (no just requested) no matter what the evening dress recommendation is for the night you reserve a table. We received no less than 3 reminders of this Informal dress requirement before the night of our reservation. It was a lovely dining experience especially great to celebrate any special event or just a feature of your total cruise experience.
Bon voyage