Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2001, 02:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default 1st cruise, need help in what to pack.

I am going on Carnival Inspiration in mid September to the Western Carribean and not sure of what to pack. I heard that most people live in their swim suits during the day, but what about evenings. How formal is formal night? Will I be too cold if I wear a sleeveless evening gown? Do most men wear suits or tuxedos? Do the kids also need formal clothes? So many questions! If you can think of anything else I should remember to pack, please advise! Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: 1st cruise, need help in what to pack.

Hi Darlene,
Yes, its true, during the day, you mostly just wear your swim suit, shorts, sandals etc. As for formal night, most women wear nice cocktail dresses and yes sleeveless is fine, but may-be have a sweater handy, sometimes the dinning rooms can be chilly. For some reason on our last cruise that was not the case, the dinning room was fine, but I still had a sweater packed just in case. You do see a lot of men in tux's or dark suits for formal night, gosh do they look good. If you already have a tux, just bring it along, my husband wore his and he didn't seem to mind. As for the kids, just nice dresses and nice slacks and shirts for the boys.

Here is a link to some great tips for taking your first cruise:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/first-time/index.cfm>

Enjoy your first cruise, bet it won't be the last either :-)

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old May 15th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Hi, Darlene ...

Zoom over to the CruiseMates bookstore and find this extremely cool book called CRUISE CONTROL. All your questions will be answered.

OK, I wrote it.

Happy Sails !!!

pamda
Old June 5th, 2001, 09:04 PM
Shan Rose

Hello,

Is this your first cruise? If it is your in for a real treat. Everything is very casual during the day. At night (with the exception of formal night) you can wear long pants (cotton) and a polo like shirt, or sundress....You DO NOT have to dress formal on those 2 nights, however, you would probably want to eat at the buffet on those nights and not in the dining room. If your taking kids and you do want to dress up..a boy would wear a nice shirt and pants, and the girl a nice dress. Alot of the men wear Tuxedo's but your hubby can bring a suit. Mine gets Tuxedo for the convenience. It's already in your cabin when you arrive with 2 shirts, the bow tie, cumberbun, etc.

Have fun

Shan
Old June 25th, 2001, 04:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lori

Darlene,

My husband and I cruised the Western Caribbean on Carnival 10 years ago. You will love it! Try to coordinate your dress clothes, so you don't have to pack so much, such as a black skirt and black pants with several different blouses. My husband just took a suit and wore it both formal nights. You can rent a tux on board, and save room in your suitcase! Children don't dress up as much as the adults. When our son went with us five years ago, he just wore khakis and a short-sleeved button-front shirt to dinner. I saw other kids in nice shorts and pull-over shirts, eating in the dining room. Have a great time!

Lori