Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2001, 12:51 AM
Chyna_C

Default Evening Gown Question....

My fellow cruise sisters,
I have been toying with the idea to go "all out" for one of the formal nights and I really like the sound of a long evening gown. My cruise in December (which I will have my birthday on as well). Where can you get the best deals on those sparkling sequined/beaded gowns? I have been doing some online searches, but would prefer to hear from those of you who have either found an online source you adore or another local/national source. And of course, the CZ jewelry, I can't forget that!!!

"all that glitters isn't gold, but it might be sequins!"

Thanks to all of my cruise sisters who will point me in the right directions!!

Chyna
Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2001, 02:01 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Evening Gown Question....

Chyna ...

I would look at a consignment shop there the rich ladies off-load their pretties.

The only thing that REALLY hurts is when one goes to a ball-type thing and another woman says, "I REALLY loved that dress."

pamda
Old July 29th, 2001, 01:47 AM
MOmom

On another web site someone mentioned www.shorline.com for evening wear. Haven't tried it, so I don't know but there prices are unbelievable. I had good luck buying through Chadwick's of Boston and Spiegel (their online outlet).
Old July 29th, 2001, 11:59 AM
donnajo

I don't know what kind of stores are in your area. (I'm in Chicago) But, the Saks 5th Ave outlet is superb. (I've gotten full length gowns normally 299 - 499 at 25.!!!)
Also, Marshalls sometimes has great stuff and JC Penney has a clearance sale usually late winter, to clear out formal wear for new arrivals (prom wear) in the spring. I got a luscious full length cream dress for 19.99!!! They original price was 179.00. Good Luck! Anyone else have some suggestions?
Old July 29th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

I don't know if there are any Elder-Beerman stores in your area, but I found a beautiful long black beaded dress on sale for only $65. It was on sale, plus 25% off, plus another 20% off with my El-Bee card. I can't wait to wear it for my 25th anniversary cruise in Sept. I also found a long red prom-type dress at JC Penny, after prom, marked down to $20. I had an extra $10 off coupon for any purchase over $10, so I got it for $10. Is that cool or what? I love sales!!! Keep your eyes open everywhere & you'll find something awesome. Good luck!
Old July 29th, 2001, 03:15 PM
Chyna_C

Thanks everyone!!! I am in Tampa, FL and I have never heard of Elder-Beerman but that is a fabulous deal!!! I have scoured the racks at JCPenny, but no luck. There is a Sak's Outlet about an hour away, so maybe I can make it sometime before the cruise. We USED to have a great store called "HEROS" which had the most fabulous sequined gowns for incredible prices but they went "bye-bye." I will try shorline.com and see what I can find there too. Keep those suggestions coming!!!
Old July 30th, 2001, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Chyna, don't forget those Consignment shops for the Mother or the Bride gowns. You may want to look around Bradenton, Sarasota, St. Pete, etc. Those stores are great. Chadwicks of Boston's latest catelog has a lovely full length black satin gown for just $49 plus shipping. I am very tempted.
Bon Voyage
Old July 30th, 2001, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hey Nanatravel,
You had an excellent idea with the bridal shops. I plan on wearing the dress I wore for my daughters wedding for one of the formal nights on our Golden Princess cruise for New Years. I actually got a brides maid dress, so I've heard it will be perfect, great idea!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old August 1st, 2001, 04:57 PM
jalepeno007

Hi Chyna,
Just won a long white beaded gown off ebay for $37.00. It's gorgeous, and I'm so excited. I will wear it for New Year's. I already had a long black formal to wear but saw this and had to try to win it. Guess I'll just wear the other one on the other formal night. We were going back and forth on bidding let me tell you. Apparently, someone else also wanted it. Try looking on ebay under ladies evening gowns.
Old August 4th, 2001, 03:22 PM
plus size momma

Chyna: I don't know what size you wear, but I have purchased many lovely beaded, sequined or otherwise dressy dresses from Lane Bryant & Roaman's catalogs over the years. If you're a size 14 or above, I would definitely give them a look. Their prices are reasonable too, and once you get on their mailing list, you can get some great end-of-season bargains in the "clearance" sections. I'm always on the lookout for my next beautiful cruise outift, and I have often bought without even a cruise booked yet....But, then, you know, it's shame to let those beautiful outfits go to waste, so.....what left to do, but book another cruise!
Old August 7th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lindsay

JC Penny has a great sale right now. I got a long black sequin dress for $40 this past weekend. I would check it out if there is one near you.
Old August 13th, 2001, 11:29 PM
Chyna_C

Well I found a gown and ordered it...my fingers are crossed now that it fits..long, princess styled...sleeveless(I will fix that and add in long sheer matching sleeves) with a matching shawl in black gorgette with the bodice heavily sequeinded and then a few "patches" of gold sequins all the way down to the scalloped and sequined hem line.....it isn't fitted tightly at the hips but flares out a bit (should be comfortable)...blackk fabirc sandals and now I need a black evening bag and I will be set!!

Thanks for much for all your help and suggestions!!! 118 days and counting
Old August 14th, 2001, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Not too long ago, I found a fabulous black beaded evening bag at Annie Sez for about $30. I saw something similar in a department store for over $200.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor and Bargain Hunter
Old August 14th, 2001, 10:23 PM
Chyna_C

OH my pamda!! You shop like me!! I LOVE a great bargain especially one with an additional 35% off.
Old August 24th, 2001, 05:35 PM
Passenger

Chyna,

If you don't need to carry something with you, don't bother with a bag. Just gets in the way. Tuck your key into the top of your stockings or your bodice and enjoy the freedom of being bagless. You can repair to the powder room and retrieve it, go to the cabin and redo your makeup, come out and have a wonderful evening without trying to keep track of the darned thing every minute.

Enjoy your cruise. Have a very happy birthday!

Sandra