Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2001, 09:05 AM
WB

Default Seeking worry-free formal clothing

My wife is looking for a formal outfit to wear on our cruise in October. We will be sailing a Southern Caribbean itinerary with a two-day pre-cruise stay in San Juan. I am looking for ideas about formal wear that we can pack before we leave home and not have to get out again before we reach the ship. Does anybody have any ideas for outfits that my wife can take for the two formal nights that will not come out of the luggage crushed or wrinkled, or any ideas on how to pack your formal wear.

Thanks in advance,
WB
Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2001, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Seeking worry-free formal clothing

Hi WB,
The best tip I can give your wife about packing the formal wear dresses, is to first of all pack them in a garment bag and leave unfolded and hung up until ready to leave. Also hang everything in the plastic cleaner bags you get back from the cleaners. So, far its worked great for me, never had to iron a thing, give it a try and have a wonderful time.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old August 2nd, 2001, 10:16 AM
Admiral

What Donna said, mostly. I am not a fan of the garment bag approach, I pack flat with everything in its own dry cleaners bag and, even with linen, have never had a wrinkle.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor and plastic bag junkie
Old August 2nd, 2001, 12:53 PM
Robocop

I don't know that much about fabrics but my wife always keeps her gowns in the plastic garment bags and I place them along with my tux and extra shirts and pants etc all in another garment bag and hand-carry it on the ship. Our formal wear is never wrinkled. We also take along a travel steamer for any wrinkles any other garments end up with.
Jim
Old August 7th, 2001, 02:01 PM
SAMMIE

I have purchased 1 pair black pants (Nordstroms brand name "Soft Wear") not expensive . and three Soft Wear dressy tops. You can pack them in your suitcase rolled up..Never ever crease. Took me many cruises to learn to pack down.
Old August 7th, 2001, 03:25 PM
Admiral

All of the above, especially the plastic dry cleaner bags are great hints. As far as fabrics go, I love sequins = tops or dresses and have 2 lace lined dresses that absolutely do not wrinkle when packed. (Our European cruise, the lace number was packed for almost 4 days before unpacking on board.) Bought a silver one at Sears for $39 including the coat and a wine longer dress with gold thread at Fruggal Fannies for just about the same price. Guys have it made with a tux!
Bon Voyage