Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2001, 10:35 AM
Linda T.

Default Help! I got too fat for my clothes!!

Does anyone have a good diet to lose a size quick? I quit smoking, yeah!! But now none of my cruise clothes fit. Help!! I'm going on The Triumph in November. Thanks everybody, Linda
Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2001, 05:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Help! I got too fat for my clothes!!

Hi Linda,
We have one of our Cruisemates host doing the weight watchers thing and having amazing luck with it, you may want to check-in to that?? Good Luck and have a great cruise on Triumph.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old September 10th, 2001, 08:22 PM
Yeoman

Walk 5 miles a day, I lost 14 pounds in 6 weeks! Drink lots of water, I mean LOTS. No eating between meals, or after dinner. Drink water. Good luck
Old September 11th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Linda T.

Thanks Donna and Carol, I'm going on the low carb diet. The walking and the water is a great idea too. I'll do that. Wish me luck...................Linda
Old September 11th, 2001, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hey Linda,
Wishing you good luck, sounds like a good plan :-)

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old September 12th, 2001, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Good Luck, but the low Carb is very hard to stick with. Having the support of a group like Weight Watchers is probably worth the membership. Good luck.
Bon Voyage
Old September 24th, 2001, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Hi, Linda ...

Congrats on quitting smoking !!!

Why don't you spend all the money you're saving on a seamstress/tailor to let those precious cruise clothes out one size ???

I also agree with the drinking water thing. You may spend a little more on toilet paper, but it will be worth it. Just drink two glasses every morning when you get up, then drink another every time you go to the bathroom?

And, in the future, NEVER buy any cruise clothe that does not have an elastic waist !!! Or NO waist at all.

(Clothe is the singular of clothes, isn't it?)

If you can quit smoking, you can knock off a size in two months. We believe in you !!!

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old September 25th, 2001, 04:36 PM
linda t.

Hi Pamda,
Thanks for the incouragement. I'm down 6 pounds, with about ten to go. I don't want to get bigger clothes, I'm scared I would get stuck in that size. Its hard tho, I didn't realize food tasted so good. I guess your taste buds really do change when you quit., and I can breath again!!! It's so cool.
Linda
Old September 30th, 2001, 06:33 PM
Passenger

Default Not Smoking but Fat????????

So you quit smoking and now you are fat.........so instead of lung cancer you will have a heart attack or diabetes.......Nothing bugs me more than FAT people who look down on smokers.
Old October 1st, 2001, 10:45 AM
LindaT.

Default Re: Not Smoking but Fat????????

Ouch Joanne,
I quit smoking because my mother died from lung cancer, I knew I would gain some weight when I quit but I felt I couldn't fight two evils at one time. I guess in your opinion I am huge. I'm 5' 7 and at my biggest I wore a size 12, I am down again now to my size 8's. I could care less about people smoking, my husband smokes and thats his right, I just simply chose to quit. I'm glad I did, I can breath better now, food tastes better and I feel better than I have in years. I still sit in the smoking section in restaurants with my husband and I still don't put people down for smoking. Its everyones right to smoke if they want to. Sorry you seem to have a problem with me asking diet advise on this board.
Old October 1st, 2001, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Double Ouch, Ladies ...

Everybody's idea of "fat" is different. I've long since given up the size 2 and 4 stuff in favor of a comfortable weight that I can maintain without thinking about it.

"Fat" does not necessarily mean "morbidly obese" ... mostly, to me, it means that I can't zip my freshly-washed jeans (still a small size) without lying down on the bed with a pair of pliers.

Even the most slender people in the world can "feel fat". Ask any model.

Do you know how smoking was originally marketed to American women? "Have a Lucky instead of a sweet." In other words, smoking was marketed as a way to diet or lose weight.

Women took up smoking like crazy.

Just a little piece of ancient American pop culture.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old October 2nd, 2001, 08:04 AM
Passenger

Linda, Good luck and keep up the good work. Try the Weight Watcher candy bars for when you need something sweet. I love the chocolate and strawberry ones the best. Remember the drink lots of water like others have said.
Old November 4th, 2001, 12:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Linda, good luck if you haven't already left on your cruise. I'm right there with you. I also quit smoking and gained some weight and my cruise clothes don't fit either. I'm a WeightWatcher so I know I can lose again, so it's back to counting the points and drinking the water! 8 weeks until my cruise!
Old May 17th, 2002, 02:47 PM
winyan

So you quit smoking and now you are fat.........so instead of lung cancer you will have a heart attack or diabetes.......Nothing bugs me more than FAT people who look down on smokers

Joanne

At least a 'fat' person doesn't force their habits on others. I think you are way wrong here.

Asthmatic win

PS I'm not fat.
Old July 28th, 2002, 11:38 AM
DMD

I've been thin my whole life until I hit 40. Almost 4 years ago I went on the Atkins diet. I was up to a size 12 or 14. I wear a 4 now, and have stayed there for three and a half years. The plus is in the fact that you can eat all you want . Heavy whipping creme ( yes it is allowed) with artificial sweetner with diet jello was a life saver for me. All the eggs bacon, chicken, cheese, meat ,fish I wanted was allowed. I started the diet In Feb. and by April I was in a size 9, by June size 8, by Fall I was in my 4/6 clothes. You can lose about 10 pounds on the 2 week starter part of the diet, if you follow it without fail. You do need to follow it as it is explaned and not get more restrictive on the carbs than the diet says. That can be unhealthy. I am convinced that for those who don't think they will die without carbs, this is the most workable diet I have ever seen. I look better, and feel better at an age when I am supposed to be going over the hill than I did in my 30's.