Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2001, 04:51 PM
Sandybottom

Default Should I wear this or not?

My husband and I will be sailing on the Grandeur of the Seas Jan.11th for 10 nights........YOO HOO!!! ........ Sorry ladies....but I just had to get that out. Now to my queston...I am a VERY cold natured person and I understand that the dining rooms on ships can be quite chilly. (This is our first cruise....so I am going on the information that I have read on the cruise boards) I have a mink stole that I want to wear for the 2 formal nights.. what do you all think? I don't want to be "policitally incorrect" Do women still wear minks? Should I just say its a "fake" if someone asks? Or will anyone even care? I need your imput as I don't want to offend anyone....I just want to be warm .
Thanks everyone for your help

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2001, 05:08 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Should I wear this or not?

I can't say that I have seen any minks in the dining room, but I say go ahead and wear it if you get cold easily. I also get cold easily and bring sweaters or whatever to the dining room.

Some people might be offended, but some people would be offended on land too. I think it would fit right in on the formal nights. If someone does actually say something to you, which I highly doubt, then you would have to make the decision whether you want to say it is fake or not. Furry things (cuffs and necklines on shirts) is popular right now, so go for it.
Old November 10th, 2001, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Sandybottom,
I also have not seen anyone wearing mink coats in the dinning room. It can sometimes be chilly, but nothing a nice sweater will handle, are you sure you'd want to drag along a coat like that?? I'd say keep it at home, pack a sweater for just in case.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old November 11th, 2001, 12:00 PM
holly

Over 6 previous cruises have never seen a fur for formal nites. I always wear dresses and pant suites that have long sleeves. I am lucky enough to have a co-ordinated sets of decent/dress clothes that includes a silk jacket in both black and cream- ie generally 1 dress shoe & bag combo per cruise. Being over 50 helps as does being the same size for over 25 years, as does generally purchasing classic styles so all I usually need to update is shoes.
Old November 11th, 2001, 08:12 PM
Sandybottom

Thanks everyone for your help. What do you all think of a shawl? My dress has puffed sleeves that come to the elbow and a sweater won't fit over them. So I was looking around last night on different shopping sites and I came across a place that sells "Pashmina" shawls. They look nice and they have them in black which will, go with my gown. Do any of you have them? And do you know if they come in different sizes? I am 5ft.4" and a size 8. Will they be to large for me? I hate to bother everyone with this but I don't won't to look like this is my first cruise(which it is)and the first time I've ever worn a gown(which it will be)...
Again, any suguestions will be
greatly appreicated!!

Old November 12th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Hi, Sandy ...

I think the fur would be altogether way "over the top."

Political correctness to one side, it's just not a "normal" thing to do on a ship and your worst fears might be realized. Other people -- if that matters to you -- might think you looked silly and "putting on side".

Pashaminas are wonderful and one size fits all. At least someone who's 5'1" and a size 6 so you should be just fine.

And Pashaminas are MUCH more fashionable that a mink stole.

I own a street-sweeper mink coat that I used to wear to drive my kids to school in cold weather (over a nightgown and sweatpants) and now I mostly wear to the grocery with jeans. It's a nice warm coat. But it's not a fashion statement.

And, hey, please tell me the good source for Pashaminas !!!

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor

p.s. Yoo Hoo for your first cruise !!! I any of us can answer any questions, just ask.
Old November 14th, 2001, 10:18 AM
Passenger

Hey Sandy...

Just got back from my first cruise, and several ladies were wearing shawls on formal nights.

Have a great time! You'll see so many different versions of formal you won't believe it. I saw everything from businessy pants suits to cocktail dresses to what could have been a wedding dress! Then there were also the few who prefer to wear a skirt and nice sweater (although they were greatly outnumbered). Men wore suits from grey to brown, navy or black to tuxes or white dinner jackets. There was even a gentleman in his full dress kilt ensemble. Wow...didn't he look nice!

My vote would be the gown and shawl. Personally I found the dining rooms to be almost too warm. There was one event in a theatre that was a bit chilly, but it actually felt good.

Have a great time!! I'd leave the fur at home. Seems like it would take up a bit of room in your luggage, and after shopping the ports, you'll want that room for other things!!

Jeannie
Old November 17th, 2001, 07:15 PM
Marion Paris

A shawl will be just great and will certainly add a touch of class to any outfit.

I live in Buffalo and wear my mink in the cold and snow snow - won't bring it to the Caribbean, no matter how cold the dining room is.

Regards,

Marion
Old December 1st, 2001, 12:05 AM
Passenger

A shawl is great. The problem with mink is that it takes up much too much room in the suitcase. I even wear a shawl over a simple dress on "informal" nights.
Old December 21st, 2001, 03:32 PM
Marnie

I have found that button down blouses often make a nice cover up for air-conditioned restaurants. I leave them open and wear them like a cardigan.

What's a "pashamina"?
Old December 31st, 2001, 07:32 PM
D.W.

Dear Sandybottom,
If the mink looks great with the dress, I say "You go girl"! I have not liked seeing the decline in glamourous dressing for women. What other opportunities would you have to wear it? And a sweater would look frumpy.
Old January 7th, 2002, 04:38 PM
Bea

The shawl is the answer. Get it in black and it should go with all evening wear.
Definately no to the fur. It is not "cruisewear"
In addition to the dining room, you will need that shawl or a sweater on the decks at night.