Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 22nd, 2001, 07:57 AM
lisatoolgirl

Default Luggage security

I am going on my 1st cruise dec 2nd and i have read on here to make sure you use you luggage locks and for added security put cable ties on your bags. Question if i do all this and they are now searching bags are they going to break my locks and all or do they just have dogs sniff them?? This is for my checked luggage. Also do they search you personaly when you go onboard?? Like with a metal scanner or what, i have never flown and this is my 1st cruise so i am wondering, I want to take nail clippers to cut off the cable ties but don't want them to take them from me?? Thanks so much..
Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2001, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Luggage security

Lisa ...

You will go through a standard airport-like walk-through device before you board the ship and your hand luggage will go through an x-ray machine.

Your checked luggage will just disappear. There may be dogs running around sniffing checked luggage but if you don't have anything bad packed (dope or explosives) you will be just fine.

I believe I recall that you are driving to the port. The ship people won't care about your nail clippers, it's the airlines that are concerned.

Put the nail clippers in an outside zippered pocket of a suitcase.

Otherwise, ask your cabin steward for a corkscrew. They have (very) dull knives but will cut through the cable ties with patience.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor