Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2002, 06:00 PM
poocher

Default overpacking

I always tend to overpack for vacations and want to avoid it if I can this time. Family of four, 7 days in Bermuda. I want to bring 2 suitcaes, 2 carry on's (with and empty collapsible one in tow for all the souvenirs!) and a garment bag for the dressy stuff. Am I dreaming? We'll be on the Nordic Empress, do they have a laudromat of any type on board? Maybe in Bermuda? I really don't mind doing a load or two if it cuts down on the stuff I have to lug around!!
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2002, 07:10 PM
meemo

Default Re: overpacking

although I dont have answers to your questions I wanted you to know that I am an overpacker too =). Last cruise I brought 2 suitcases and 2 carry ons for my husband and I and ended up bringing too much of the wrong things. I didnt pack very smart and ended up with outfits and no shoes to match and completely forgot my sneakers! arrrrgh We were on the Carnival Elation and there was a laundry facility available but it ended up being a late night task since so many people were jockeying to use it. This time I'm planning more carefully and have a large box to throw stuff into as I accumulate it for the cruise (new under things, socks, SNEAKERS, batteries, dramamine, etc)

Good Luck!
Old January 8th, 2002, 10:10 PM
Admiral

Just because you are gone 7 days does not mean you can't wear an outfit twice! Bring half the underwear, socks, shorts (4) but enough tops/t's for daily wear, 2 swim suits, one-coverup, 1 or 2 formal/dressy outfit, 4 pants/skirt or casual dress outfits, dockers & collared shirts for men/boys. Bring 1 pr. black dress sandals,. 1 pr. basic (gold, bone) shoes/flats/sandals for day or night, 1 pr. sneakers. Men 1 pr. dress shoes, 1 pair loafers or boat shoes, 1 pr. sneakers. Buy, plastic clothes hooks at Walmart $2. Rinse out socks, undies, t's as necessary in your sink with shampoo. Accessorize your evening outfits, shall, scarf, jacket top, etc. Men can wear the same slacks with a different shirt, etc. Let kids gather and pack their own suitcases. Use a backpack or secure tote bag, too that can also be used as a beach bag. Let kids bring a backpack. Put one change of clothes in backpack for changing into when you arrive on ship. Wear a nylon windbreaker which will also ward off rain showers. If you workout, wear a nylon jogging suit to travel in and you will already have your jacket, too. packing hints: Don't put all on one person's clothes in one suit case - put at least one dress outfit, one casual, one sports outfit, one swim suit plus undies, socks and shoes in the other person's luggage. If luggage is delayed or lost, it is usually only one bag. I witnessed a couples' garment bag that they walked to the pier take 3 months to be found! It contained all of their formal wear for a 2 week cruise. Check as much luggage as you can now with additional security. Carry-on's delay boarding and initiate security checks. Organize packing as well as possible. Include zip lock bags.
Use your collapsible tote for souvenirs, but put dirty laundry in it while on board ship.
Bon voyage
Old January 15th, 2002, 07:38 PM
poocher

See, that already sounds like more clothes than I want to pack! Don't think we'll be doing the dining room for dinner too often because NO ONE will want to dress.

My guess at this point is 3 prs of shorts, 2 pr Dockers, one dressy outfit for me and Katie, probably the same for son and hubby. If we run out, we'll stay in the room!!