Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Passenger

Default Wrinkled clothes

Hello,
I am concerned that after having my silk dress in a garment bag that it will be competely wrinkled when I get to the ship. Is there an iron available on board, or better yet, can I just pay to have it ironed? How much will this cost?
Thanks,
Carolyn
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Wrinkled clothes

Hi Carolyn,
You can easily avoid wrinkled clothes by putting them in the plastic cleaner bags you get from the cleaners. I pack this way and it totally amazes me that therer are no wrinkles.

In case there are a few, some cruiselines do have irons and ironing boards for passengers to use, but it depends on what cruiseline. We were just on Golden Princess and they had a laundry room on every guest floor, with 4 irons and boards to use, very handy. What ship are you cruising on?

They all however do have laundry services that are about what you would pay at home, but it does add us.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old January 16th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Passenger

I am leaving this Saturday on RC Radiance.
Old January 24th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Hi, Carolyn ...

Follow Donna's advice about the dry cleaner's bags and you shouldn't have a wrinkle. I once had a LINEN outfit packed that way that travelled halfway around the world, stayed in a suitcase for three days before unpacking and NO WRINKLES.

Expect to pay about $3 to have a dress pressed, if you need it.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old January 30th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Tell me more, tell me more!!! Do you fold the garments then place them in the drycleaner bags or do you have them on hangers in your garment bag? Does it matter? Traveling is my passion, but ironing is a drudge chore that I usually do the first day at sea to get it out of the way. I'd LOVE to be able to avoid the iron!!
Thanks!
Donna
Old January 30th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Hi Donna,
I just leave the dress on the hanger in the dry cleaner bag and usually pack that in the garment bag, no ironing needed, love it! Also, you can just hang it up when you arrive in the cabin, easy.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old February 7th, 2002, 10:11 PM
FloridaLvr

Hi! Aren't garment bags no longer permitted as carry-ons on the planes? Also, I read that if you don't carry it on the ship yourself, it will possibly get put under tons of other suitcases!
Can you do this in a regular suitcase? That would be great! If so, how do you do this?
I once traveled with an Advisor for my daughters school club & this lady never ONCE had a wrinkle! She packed in suitcases! I should have asked her what her secret was!
If all clothing could be made out of the stuff they make those football jerseys you buy at the sports store, it would be great! I could wad that thing up & stick it in a little bag for 6 months & then hang it up & I can guarantee that in less than an hour it would be wrinkle free!!! Love this stuff!
Old February 8th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Admiral

Hi Floridalvr,
Most garment bags are too big now to be accepted as carry-on. When buying mine, I thought it would be OK, NOT! So, we check it like regular luggage and so far there has been no problems with it.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old February 9th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Admiral

I pack "flat" in suitcases. Works fine. The one time I tried the garment bag approach, based on the advice of a supposed packing "expert", I was NOT pleased.

Want to buy a garment bag?

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor.
Old February 13th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Marnie

I found garment bags wrinkle you clothes the worst. If you plan on using it, make sure it is full. The less in it, the more things get tossed around and crushed by other suit cases. If it's packed rather tight, the clothes will keep their shape a little better. Great if you want to share a bag with your cabin mate. But I can't fill one up myself.

I find everything layed flat, stacked, then rolled and put in a back pack provides the least wrinkles. It depends on the amount of clothes and size of bag you need.

If taking a suitcase, Pamda's method usually works the best; everything flat, stack them in the bottom of the suitcase and fold up sleeves, pant legs and anything else hanging out.