Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2002, 05:25 PM
First Mate

Default Paradise dress code

I'm sailing on Carnival Paradise to Western Carribean for 7 nights in April. Can anyone who has sailed recently tell me how many formal nights, semi-formal, casual, etc nights there are? (and specifically what they mean). Also how's the weather in Western Carribean in April?
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Tigger

Default Re: Paradise dress code

There are 2 formal nights, 2? semi-formal (what you would wear to a Wedding or Christening), casual the rest of the nights (what you would wear to your local restaurant). Sounds like a lot of clothes, I usually wear same outfit for both formal nights and ignore the semi-formal nights, I always dress neatly for dinner, sundress or skirt and top or slacks and top.
We have cruised 5 times, 4 in the Caribbean. The weather in April is wonderful, it's the only time we cruise. August thru December could be bad, this is hurricane season.
The Paradise may be a little different but you will have 2 formal nights, not sure if Carnival has semi-formal nights, might be smart casual. This is the reason I have such an issue with dress codes.
Some day I would like to book the Paradise, the fact that there is no smoking would make me want to wear more dressy clothes, no stale smoke smell on my clothes. We've been to those ports often and need to see others first. Wouldn't it be nice if each cruise line had "one" smoke free ship?
Old February 7th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Admiral

Hi, Ann ...

The weather in the western Carib is almost uniformly wonderful except when the odd hurricane rolls through. There hasn't been a big one that I can remember since Gilbert which was ten or so years ago.

Hurricane season is June-November and much more often hits the eastern Carib and Bermuda than a western itinerary. Often, people who thought they were going on an Eastern itinerary end up on Western because the cruise line diverts them for safety reasons.

I agree with Tigger that each line SHOULD have a non-smoking ship. It would be a nice touch.

The best piece of clothing that you can pack is the "LBD" -- Little Black Dress. The plainer, the better. With smashing costume (or real) jewelry, you're set for the captain's table, With a neat scarf, you're good to go for a less formal evening. A pair of black silk pants with a black silk shell can use the same jewelry or scarf or a neat jacket. Fun stuff to shop for in port.

Whatever you do, you will probably be fine. Don't stress. Nobody remembers what the other ladies wear.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old February 10th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Sue Sue

The Paradise does tend to have a more formal-formal night as well as a more elegant casual for dinner for the other evening meals. Maybe it's because there is no smoking anywhere and people like to keep their fancy clothes reserved for this special occasion. My family and I are heading out in March for our third Paradise cruise and are looking so forward to the experience.
Old February 17th, 2002, 09:19 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the help.....but are there 2 formal, 2 semi-formal and the rest casual? Or are there just 2 formal and the rest casual?
Old February 19th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Sue Sue

There are two formal evenings and the rest are Elegant Casual for the Dining Room. The Paris Restaurant which is Buffet Style is open to Casual attire anytime day or night.