Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2002, 11:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Oops forgot to pack - funny stories

Hi everyone,

I pride myself on being organized, but even the best of us forgets something.

Here are my two favorite stories:

* On our first cruise, I didn't pack a clock for the room. If I asked my partner *one* more time, "What time is it?" he was gonna kill me.

* On our most recent trip in January, I did it to my partner again -- but now something more personal. I didn't pack one pair of underwear for him, so our first stop in Ensenada was to pick up some "souvenier" underwear.

Anyone else have some "wished I packed" stories???

Harry Martin
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2002, 01:54 AM
IAM1RN

Default Re: Oops forgot to pack - funny stories

i wish i packed two bras! lol How i could have lost it on the cruise is beyond me. I had it all the way up until the last night then it disappeared somewhere between leaving my room, going to the laundry room and back. When i woke in the am to get ready to disembark...poof gone! Somewhere on a beautiful ship travelling the wonderful waters is one BRAND NEW bra enjoying an eternity in paradise!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhh i wish i was a bra sigh!
Old February 11th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Me? Forget to pack something? The Domanatrix of Packing?

Yep. My husband's studs. Never mind that I had the flu, HE was going to have dinner with the Captain. (I was as green as the outfit I'd planned to wear.)

So I dragged myself out of the bed and began accosting officers with my tale of woe. Seems like I wasn't the only one going begging that night. The gift shop was sold out.

Fortunately I have a creative (if somewhat warped) mind. I purchased two pair of plain "gold" stud earrings and a pair of "gold" with "diamonds" clip-ons. They became studs and cufflinks.

Then there was the time I forgot to pack his dress socks. The gift shop HAD socks, but not in his size. I threw myself on the mercy of the Hotel Manager who called up an officer known for Very Large feet.

And what about the time the airline tickets, cruise dox, and passports stayed home?

There is a moral to these sad stories. "Do as I say, not as I do."

pamda
Old February 11th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Admiral

Great stories!

As a side note, I have a certain wardrobe I always bring on cruises and always wear 'em in the same order. The funny thing is I have now taken 6 boarding photos in the same blue shirt and pair of khaki shorts -- the ship is the only thing that changes. Just this past month, our tablemates gave us a photo of our table at dinner. I looked at the shirt I was wearing and said, "Oh that was taken the first night."

Time to revise the clothes list, I think.

Harry (who forgot a hat two cruises ago and ended up borrowing one from one of our group)
Old February 11th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I am not the packer in our family, so I generally forget nothing.

Quoting for an article I wrote about packing....
"packing in our home is like our sex life. I lay it on the bed and let Mrs. Kuki deal with it".

The exception.... The one and only time I cruised without Mrs. Kuki she had me organized and packed. One small suitcase/carry on for my prestay in Miami, and a larger suitcase I wouldn't need to open until I was on the ship. I had only one responsibility..to carry the keys to the suitcases.
Had a wonderful pre night stay in Miami, and boarded the ship the next morning. When my 1 remaining suitcase was delivered to the cabin, I went to unpack, and wouldn't you know it.. couldn't find the key. I had obviously left the keys in my Miami hotel room.
The phone call to the purser's desk went something like...
Hi, this is the first moron of the cruise calling ........

Kuki.. who now takes insurance with him (Mrs. Kuki)
Old February 12th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Harry ...

You're not exactly the Lone Ranger. I was digging through some files looking for pix to illustrate an article about the Captain's. table. Hmmm. Same outfit, different Captains. Even funnier ... same Captain, same outfit, different ship.

I am such a fashion plate.
Old February 12th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Admiral

At least I am in good company with the self-proclaimed Dominatrix of Packing.

:-)

Harry
Old February 13th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Marnie

I like TAM1RN's story. Yeah sure you lost your bra between your cabin and the laundry room. Sounds like a wild night to me. Sorry couldn't resist that one.
Old February 17th, 2002, 10:56 PM
Admiral

Years ago on the Caribe, now the Regal Empress, I had to get up early to go snorkeling. I asked my grandmother the time and she told me that she didn't know and to go look on the kitchen oven for the time. My aunt who shared a cabin told me she hope that I don't go to the kitchen. My grandmother was half alseep. Since that time I always booked an outside cabin to know when it is at least daylight.
Old February 18th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Last February, we were cruising on the Sovereign of the Seas. I had to work late on the night before we flew to Orlando. I ended up packing in about 20 minutes. After we spent the night at my brother's house, I realized that I had forgotten to pack a tie for my suit. I was able to borrow one of his ties. Thought I was safe. On board the ship, I was getting ready to get dressed for dinner (my first night attire is my khaki pants and my Hawaiian shirt), I then realized that I had not brought any pants other than my suit pants. Ended up wearing my suit pants to all the dinners. Thought about buying pants on the ship the next day or in Nassau, but could not find my size or a decent price. I was more careful on our cruise last May and will be on the two coming up in March and May of this year Harry Martin wrote:
Old February 21st, 2002, 12:43 PM
Admiral

I am the packer of the house. BUT don't blame me if I forget something of yours.... Like your belt. Not a problem on a cruise, just eat more.