CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   PackMate? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/293800-packmate.html)

ames February 20th, 2002 03:12 PM

PackMate?

I saw a post somewhere recommending PackMate bags, so I ordered their "family pack" for $39 online. Just received them. Am I missing something or are these bags just simple ziploc bags with a small air opening at the other end? Can't believe I spent $39 for ziploc bags. Do they really work? They claim to reduce your packing space considerably by squeezing out all the air in these special bags. I know I'm a newbie, but now I feel stupid too!

Robocop February 20th, 2002 03:32 PM

Re: PackMate?

Do they work? Yes. Are they worth the $39? Let's just say that I expressed my opinion of my wife's intellect quite firmly when they arrived here and I found out what she did. 'Nuff said.
Jim

ames February 20th, 2002 05:25 PM

that's why I intend to tell my husband they were a "gift from my Mom"!

aj February 20th, 2002 06:17 PM

I received those from my mother in-law as a gift and I was thinking about using them to pack for our next cruise in April but then again I was thinking with the new security issues. If I suck the life out of my clothes and carry them onto the flight what happens if I am the lucky one who gets choosen to get searched? Do you think I could barrow a vacuum cleaner to suck the life out of them again so I can close my bag? I doubt it.

Pam February 20th, 2002 08:58 PM

we used these on our cruise to Alaska as we needed to carry warm clothes, they were excellant!!! Ours did not require vaccum, just roll the air out through the one way valves. I did not pay that much for my 5 bags from QVC!!!

pamda February 21st, 2002 10:55 AM

Why do I think one could do almost as well with regular zip-top bags or, even better, those with the little slider thingie?

Just sit on 'em to remove the air?

pamda -- frugal

Marnie February 21st, 2002 02:17 PM

I've always used zip lock baggies. If they want to physically inspect, everything's in clear baggies; much easier. They usually don't open every baggie. I remember seeing the packmates ad and couldn't see the difference.

ames February 21st, 2002 02:34 PM

Thanks everyone! But I feel even more stupid now! Guess I feel for the hype on these bags. Oh well. Live and learn.

ames

Nanatravel February 21st, 2002 05:24 PM

The Pack It envelopes and cubes that I own and have bought for others are cordoba nylon and mess. The envelopes come in 3 sizes and the cubes also come with 2 zippered compartments. I bought my boss the 3 pack set from e-bags for $39 at Christmas and he loved the concept. My suit cases have been packed since Monday with the PackIt system and I still have lots of room for the hanging formal outfits that will go in the luggage tonight.

Harry Martin March 3rd, 2002 12:28 PM

This worked great Pam for the undies and socks! There were super flat after being subjected to my petite bottom. :-)

Harry

Donna March 30th, 2002 01:50 PM

Are your clothes a wrinkled mess when you take them out of these bags?? If not, I'd really be interested in buying some. Thanks!

Artistammy January 16th, 2007 02:09 PM

bags with slide not air-tight

The bags I bought with slide are not air-tight. I sat on one & carefully closed it. Later, I checked & it was all poofy again. :(
Tammy

crabbie1 January 16th, 2007 06:19 PM

PackMate?

Donna, we have used these "baggies", not PackMate, and usually only pack polo type shirts, under garments, t-shirts, etc. If you smooth the items out as best as you can before "squashing" and sealing the bag, they are not too wrinkled at all.

crabbie1

Mary P January 28th, 2007 10:01 AM

All are great for squashing your clothes for more room in suitcase - but remember not to overpack like I did for Alaska where I had to pay the "too heavy" fee of $25 for my overpacked - spacesaver suitcase. I now weigh my big suitcase before zipping up at home and make adjustments - either leave things out or move to another suitcase.