Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2002, 06:08 AM
KJcruiser

Default Alaska formal nights

I don't need help deciding what to wear for formal nights but I would
like some advice on outer wear. All of my formal dresses are sleeveless
and therefore not overly warm. They lose a lot of their formal appeal when a sweater
is added, no matter how dressy the sweater is. Do they tend to keep these ships a bit
warmer due to the location, or am I likely to be cold if I don't bring some sort
of wrap?
Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Kathy G

Default Re: Alaska formal nights

I sailed Alaska last summer (June) and I wore sleeveless formal dresses with evening wraps (very light weight but something to cover my shoulders). I found the ship was warmer inside in Alaska than on previous Caribbean. You can find a light wrap in lots of stores and they aren't very expensive.
Enjoy your cruise Alaska is wonderful!

Kathy G
Old March 18th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Hi, KJ ...

You will find that formal nights on an Alaska cruise aren't as foo-foo as on Carib cruises. I don't know why that is.

My #1 solution to this is a pashamina shawl in a neutral color that won't fight with any of your dresses. They're lightweight and beautiful. And expensive, but worth it.

Can't you manufacture a birthday or other gift-giving occasion pre-cruise?

Old April 4th, 2002, 10:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Help Please..........What is a Pashamina Shawl......???? Where can you purchase one??????????? Cruising Alaska August 2002.......:>)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 6th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Pashamina is a fabric that I think is a blend of cashmere and silk. I've heard of people getting terrific deals on e-bay.

Otherwise, Nordstrom's, etc. carries them. Plan on about $100 but check e-bay first!

Old April 29th, 2002, 06:50 PM
KJCruiser

Default Re: Re: Alaska formal nights

MJ - This is a bit late of a reply to an earlier post but in case you're still looking for a pashmina here's a
website you might want to check out: www.sunrise-pashmina.com
I ordered a shawl (it's big!) about 10 days ago. It arrived today and I love it. I can hardly wait to wear it in Alaska
in 2 1/2 weeks! The on-line service was really good too. I got a couple of confirmation emails advising me on the
status of my order, another note the day it was shipped from Nepal and a nice card in the package with the shawl.
You also get a bonus Oriental-looking cloth bag that the pashmina comes wrapped in and another tiny bag with a pair of
earings which were nice too. I don't order much on-line but was really impressed with this company. Hopefully
I'll still feel the same when I get my credit card bill showing the exchange rate for my poor Canadian dollar! Even with
that though I still think I got a deal after pricing the shawls locally. (The ones for about the same price here are half the size.)
Old April 30th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Alaska formal nights

Try looking for pashmina on ebay. They aren't trendy anymore so the prices hava really come down. Maybe you can get more than one!
Have fun.
Kimberly