Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Brad Krewson-Cleveland,OH

Default Where to buy Tux

Has any body bought a tux from a rental place. What prices can I expect to pay ?

On a new tux what stores have good prices.

Thanks

Brad
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Where to buy Tux

Hi Brad,
Check with your local tux rental store, we found one by us here in Illinois that have a semi annual sale, where they sell their used and new tux's, we saved a bundle. Ended up getting new, plus 2 shirts, shoes, ties, and a few other things for under $400. If you plan on cruising in the future, just a few wears does pay for it, we bought if for the daughters wedding, and have already worn it 2 times since, great deal and you know you have something that fits.

Good Luck!

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 7th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Brad Krewson-Cleveland,OH

Default Re: Re: Where to buy Tux

Donna

Thanks for the info on the Tuxes. I will call around this week and see what I can find out .

Have a good and warm week, spring will start some day ?!

Brad
Old April 8th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Marnie

My boyfriend bought his in a Thrift shop. Most of the clothing was second hand and I believe that many of the tuxes came from rental shops. The tux cost $20 and the shirt was $5. He already had the shoes and cufflinks and I bought him a new bow-tie for xmas for $10 (I'm sure I could have gotten that cheaper too). He did not wear a cumberbund because he doesn't like them, but I'm sure you could pick one of those up real cheap too.
Old April 8th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Blumoo

E-Bay, did I say e-bay? We had great luck purchasing two tuxes for DH, and son. I paid $35 for one and $45 for the other. They were is perfect condition, and very nice fabric.
Old April 10th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ascot Tuxedos and Al's Formal Wear (owned by same company) were having a sale a few weeks ago (not sure if it's still going on) where you could get a full tuxedo package, including jacket, pants, shirt, hardware, vest and tie for $399. And it was actually a NICE tux. I'd recommend checking it out if you're in the market for a tux. My fiance' and I shopped around several places (Men's Warehouse, Dillard's, Macy's) and this was by far the best deal around.
Old April 12th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Robyn's right. Ascot and Al's usually have a good deal on the whole package (except shoes). If you have a Sym's in your area, you might want to check that out too. I found a $1400 Karl Lagerfeld tux marked at $340!
Old April 12th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Admiral

In Massachuessets, We bought from Gingas, (a used Bill Blass) at $149 including one shirt. Frugal Fannies is a local weekend discount warehouse outlet who sell new for $99. They also have shirts, tie sets, etc. at discounted prices.
Bon Voyage
Old April 16th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Try http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=4194655. This is an eBay store, but my husband got his shirt, tux, and shoes from these people and their stuff is GREAT and service is even BETTER!!! Even if they don't have what you need at the eBay store, email them at customerservice@glotux.com. Their prices are unbeatable!
Old April 17th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Brad,

Gingis apparently is the only national retailler. I just bought a complete outfit -- white dinner jacket, pants, two shirts (French cuff), two ties, vest, cummerbund, and a set of studs. The total came to about $360.

Many tuxedo rental businesses also sell used (former rental) outfits at substantially lower prices than new outfits, and there are also liquidators who sell such outfits exclusively in many of the larger metropolitan areas. The former rental outfits generally are in excellent condition -- and a "new" outfilt will be "used" after you wear it once anyway. I would have gone this route, but unfortunately did not have time to shop around before my last cruise.

If you are going to buy a tuxedo, my only recommendation is to buy a classic style rather than something "trendy" because the "trendy" outfilt will look passe whenever the styles change whereas the classic style will endure.

Norm.
Old April 17th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Norm,
Did you hit their semi-annual warehouse sale? Thats what we did, and you are right about getting one that will still look "in style" years down the road. After renting a tux 3/4 times you could of bought one with extra shirts, cuff links, etc. Its really the way to go and my husband actually said he felt more comfortable in his tux that a suit??

I'm sure if you shop around a little Brad, you will find the Tux that looks good.

Message Boards Moderator