Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2002, 03:28 AM
Passenger

Default formal night

I will be cruising on the monarch on may 27th for 5 days. My question is I have a gray suit that I just bought for a wedding. It's nice and I was planning on wearing it for the formal night. Is this going to be seen as unacceptable, do I need to buy or rent a tux?
Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: formal night

Hi Toby,
I think you will be fine with the new gray suit, go for it and enjoy!

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 19th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Marnie

If it's a dark charcoal gray, definitely no problem, a lighter suit may stand out a little, but it's not a problem. IMO It isn't worth going and spending $75 to rent a tux for only a couple of hours.
Old April 19th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Charlene Hempler

Hi, One guyin our group always wears a light grey suit and it looks very nice and quite acceptable. Have a ball. char
Old April 25th, 2002, 01:37 AM
Passenger

Thank you all for your advice!
Old April 26th, 2002, 02:04 PM
BCC

By all means wear the grey suit regardless of the shade. Based on what I saw on my recent cruise on Celebrity (which everybody says is so dressy) the grey will be perfectly acceptable & you won't feel out of place one bit.
Old June 14th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Passenger

Toby...Wear what you want. If you like the light/dark grey suit wear that. If you like a pair of slacks/dress shirt and tie wear that....The point is you paid $$ for the cruise, it is your vacation to relax and enjoy, these unwritten rules/regulations about "proper attire" are outdated and most ships have finally gotten smart enough to rid the "formal attire". I have not worn a "formal" outfit since i retired 10 years ago.....I'm only 32 and wear what I want when cruising. I usually wear a nice pair of slacks, dress shirt/sweater or maybe a tie. I have been turned away once when i was wearing a pair of slacks/dress shirt and tie, but after i complained to the capt. and wanted a refund for mental abuse, i was allowed to dine. Oh, I didn't feel out of place one bit.......After Sept. 11th we should all understand whats important in life and having a great time not worring what each other is wearing/should be wearing is a very important thing to remember........bottom line go have fun wear what you want..just wear something..haha....daniel, 32 in malibu, ca