Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Kaitlin

Default Smart Casual vs Casual?

My husband and I are first time cruisers (Rhapsody of the Sea June 23rd) and I am a bit confused about smart casual and casual. We live in Hawaii and casual somtimes means something different out here.
Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Smart Casual vs Casual?

Hi Kaitlin,
Another word for "smart casual" would be semi formal, means you would wear a nice dress and your husband a sport coat, tie. For the "casual" nights a nice pants suit is fine for the ladies or a sun type dress, slacks. Men would wear docker type pants and polo shirts. Hope this helps, enjoy the cruise!

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 10th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Rick Thorson

Casual usually refers to daytime dress on the ship which may be shorts,jeans, etc. Smart casual refers to something like dockers and collared polo type shirts for men and pant suits, dresses or skirts and blouses for woment and usually is the appropriate attire for night tiem on board a ship unles of course they call for semi-formal or fromal for the evening.In Alaska that can mean sport coats or suits for men and nicer cokatil dresses or evening wear for the ladies. Keep in mind that Alaska is an active and casual detination and tuxes etc. are not expected.
Old June 10th, 2002, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Each cruiseline has a different way of saying this. There are usually three dress designations on each cruise of 7 days or longer.

There is Formal, which recommends dark suit and tie for the men and nice party dresses for the women. You will see everything from the basic black dress dressed up to sequins and sparkles.

There is Semi Formal which is sports jacket and tie for men and nice pants suit or dress for women.

There is casual which includes nice pants and shirt for men and sundress, pants and shirt, pants suit etc for women.

Hope this helps. Be prepared to come home quite addicted to cruising, ready to book the next one. Stop back in and let us know how your cruise was. We have been on Rhapsody and loved the ship. Or stop in chat some nite.

Gaile
Wed chat host Tweety
Old June 10th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Re: Smart Casual vs Casual?

'' Keep in mind that Alaska is an active and casual detination and tuxes etc. are not expected."

While tuxedos may not be expected.. on formal nights suggested dress is tux or dark suit for the men. On my Alaska cruises I did see as many tuxedos as on other itins.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 12th, 2002, 07:58 PM
mattinla

I asked the question over at cruise critics... if on casual nights a guy could wear dressy shorts on RCI. From the response I got, you'd think I had suggested flip flops, speedos and tank top...or that I must be trailer trash for even asking.....

Anyway, it would seem that Donna's answer is the correct one...I'm renting a tux through the cruise formal company so I don't have to pack one, and bringing a good dark sport coat, shirt and tie for the semi/smart casual evening/s.

It's too bad...dressy shorts take up so much less space than khakis...