Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2002, 01:10 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to natalie
Default Packing checklist

I am going on Legend of the seas (alaska) july 19th
can anyone give me a checklist of what i need to bring that would be the most helpful thing i could think of thanks
Natalie
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Packing checklist

Hi Natalie,
While there are a lot of different packing lists, this should give you a general idea of what to pack, enjoy the cruise:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...es/packing.cfm

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 8th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Never been to Alaska, but would bet that binoculars would be a MUST on that cruise. Another thing might be a thermos mug, that you can put coffee in and keep it warm. Make sure you come back and let us hear all about it.

Gaile
CM Host Tweety
Old July 9th, 2002, 01:06 AM
Kenny C.A.

Default Re: Re: Packing checklist

Hi Tweedy. You are soooo right about taking
binoculars. I would hear people say,'look at the whales"!!! I would look to the side of the ship and just see some splashing and movement. I didn't take binoculars to Alaska. They would also say, "look at the birds"!! I would look up and see tiny birds flying.
Plus, taking a thermos mug is important for carrying on the airplane to fill up your mug with coffee or soda. Also good on the ship.
They say the mosquitoes are in full force during the summer in Alaska. Take mosquito protection like Cutter's OFF, & benedryal in case you get bitted anyway and a soothing lotion.
Tweedy, I hope someday you get to see Alaska soon. It was very affordable this year for me.
I had a great time.
Pack summer clothes and winter clothes. The weather is radically changable from during the day and night. One moment it can be real hot and the next moment it is cold. SEA YOU. Lucy
Old July 9th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Frank M

Natalie,

Here is the web site for the "Calgon Ultimate Packing List". There is a Warm Weather List and a Cold Weather List. Check them both out and compile your own check list. Hope this helps.

Frank M

http://www.geocities.com/Calgon1/Ult...king_List.html
Old July 9th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Natalie,

My strategy for packing is pretty simple, really.

>> 1. Check the schedule of evening dress, then pack appropriate attire for the "dress-up" (formal and semiformal) nights shown on the schedule. (Princess prints the schedule of evening dress on the back of the itinerary page of the cruise ticket. RCI probably does somethng similar.) Be sure to include a wrap or a shawl that you can don if the air conditioning is excessive, especially if your dress has an open back or bare shoulders.

>> 2. Pack three or four skirts or pairs of slacks and two pairs of shorts (Alaska is not known for warm weather) for casual wear.

>> 3. Pack a "top" (polo shirt or blouse) suitable for wear on casual evenings and a change of underwear for each day of the cruise, plus one spare set. Choose "tops" from your collection that coordinate with each the skirts or pairs of slacks above.

>> 4. Pack good walking shoes and socks for sightseeing and some casual shoes to wear atound the ship.

>> 5. Refill and pack your toiletries, razor, hair curlers, combs, nail clippers, etc.

>> 6. Pack any athletic clothing and sports equipment that you might want (gym clothes, tights & leotards for aerobics, gym shorts and t-shirts, batihing suit, snorkel gear, tennis racket, sneakers or running shoes, etc.)

>> 7. Pack any reading material, prayer books, etc., that you might want during the trip.

>> 8. Pack your camera, film, binoculars, etc.

>> 9. Review your plans for shore excursions and pack any special clothing or footwear that they might require (hiking boots, jeans, t-shirts, winter clothing if you're going onto glaciers, etc.)

>> 10. Pack a couple sweatshirts and spring/fall jackets in case of inclement or cool weather. Note that normal high temperatures for July and August are in the 60's in Alaska's inside passage.

>> 11. Don't forget to bring a reasonable amount of cash and a charge card (either Mastercard or Visa) with adequate available credit to cover your expenses.

>> 12. Finally, be sure to bring your cruise tickets, your airline tickets, your transfer vouchers if you purchased transfers through your cruise line, and your passport or alternate travel documentation (proof of citizenship and proof of identity) in your hand luggage where you can get to them expeditiously while en route.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old July 17th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Re: Packing checklist

My one tip that saves a lot of space is I limit ourselves to two pairs of shoes each -- a pair of sneakers and one color of dress shoes that go with all outfits packed. (Oh, and one pair of flip-flops for around the pool)

It seems the shoes take up so much space.

Art wanted to throw in a suit one time that required brown shoes, and I ruled it out 'cause it violated the all-purpose-one-pair-of-dress-shoes rule.

I'm such a packing nazi.:-)

Harry
Old July 17th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Admiral

The ONE THING I would pack for Alaska is what I call a "wrinkle suit" ... one of those nylon jobs -- jacket and pants -- with a flannel lining?

The best part is that already come conveniently wrinkled so you can cram them in anywhere. I never go anywhere without a wrinkle suit.

Also ... a one-use panoramic camera. AND the binocs. I did some research a while back with Cabela's and was told that 7x50 was the way to go. Not cheap, but worth every penny. I paid the big bucks and went with the Nikons.

I'll disagree with Norm and say DON'T pack any sweatshirts. Buy them ashore.

Take an umbrella. If it's not raining in Ketchikan, it's about to rain in Ketchikan.

And have a great time.

"If it looks like a beer bottle with a golf ball on top, it's a Bald Eagle. If it is large, brown, and shaggy and it is coming toward you, it's trouble."

Old July 19th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Joe Reynolds

My personal list is probably overkill. It is for trips in general and not particular to any.
================================================== ======
TRAVEL CHECKOFF LIST
Binoculars
Cameras-Video and 35mm
Jewelry
Calculator-
Pad and pen

Pocket flash light
Tickets
Brochures and Information
Map
Sun Tan Lotion

Dobb Kit with medicine-(Antacid,Anti-diarrhea, Decongestant and antibiotics, Nasal spray, analgesic, razor,toothbrush &paste,deodorant, cologne. Skin Cream ointments,Zantac.

Medicine to carry on plane-lomotil,decongest,analgesic,afrin nose drips for ear block.
Passports
Extra Eye Glasses
Electric Extention Cord. Helped in Antigua
Beach Bag if go to beach resort
Sunglasses
Hair dryer
Wizard for tel. #’as
Fabric Softener sheets between garments to keep fresh
Fabreeze to spray clothes
Germicide Hand cleaner
Hand wipes
Packets of Shout it out
Mesh laundry bag
Insulated mug-if have room
Make-up

Clothes
Shirts
Pants
Drawers
Socks
Handkerchiefs
Cuff links and tie clip
Ties
Belts
Coats
Bathing suits
Shoes
Purses
Panty Hose
Old July 19th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Joe Reynolds

Natalie,
I fail to mention that I keep certain things in the suitcase at all times. Umbrellas and Pnochos for one. Passport copies. birth certificate copies, Always have copies of telephone numbers of people to call if you get in trouble. Travel agent emergency numbers, consumer protection agency, and any others that could become important such as lost credit card numbers for different countries. I use a Wizard (10 years old) like a palm with an accumulation of telephone numbers for more things than I can remember.