Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Beginner

Default A Few Questions -- 1st Timer

I'm going on a Western Caribbean cruise on Aug. 19. I have a question about going on shore excursions. I plan to go snorkeling so what should I wear when leaving the ship? Do you wear casual clothes, such as shorts, and bring bathing suit along? Is there somewhere to change? I have a beach tote bag that I can carry all of my stuff in but when you get to Stingray City or wherever, is there a place for you to lock your stuff in, such as a locker?
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: A Few Questions -- 1st Timer

Wear your bathing suit and pull a pair of shorts over it. At sting ray city you will be on a boat, your stuff will be safe in your gear bag.
Old August 7th, 2002, 07:32 PM
Gaile

Definitely wear your bathing suit with shorts over it. If you must you can bring a change of clothes for after Sting Ray City, but it would mean changing on the boat.

Gaile
CM Host Tweety
Old August 8th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Hi, Asher ...

Pull on shorts and T-shirt over the B-suit. If you take undies, put them in a zip-top bag to keep them away from sand and suntan lotion.

There are ladies' rooms at the major beaches on Cozumel. In Playa, there's a decent ladies room behind the restaurant at the Costa del Mar. It's one property closer to the ferry pier than the Blue Parrot.

If you are Sting Ray-ing with Captain Marvin, your suit should be dry by the time you return to shore. Otherwise, there is a ladies' room. Gear is stored on board. StingRay tip ... take some sodas and snack food. All Marvin stocks is water and icky red punch. I don't know about the ships' Shorex. But, after a while on the water, the bait chum starts to look pretty good.

Old August 8th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Beginner

Thanks everyone! You've helped a bunch. I'm actually going to do the shore excursion through the cruise ship since this is my first experience. I like someone else's suggestion of taking a collapsible cooler, filling it with goodies from the ship's buffet or whatever, and taking it along. This site has been so helpful to me. I'm glad I found it! I'll be much better prepared.
Old August 8th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Admiral

Asher ...

There are some islands that completely disallow food to be taken ashore. How they find it, I don't know. And I don't know what they are for sure.

Keep asking questions, we will keep answering.
Old August 9th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: A Few Questions -- 1st Timer

There's so much to know! I was mainly just thinking of taking something along for the snorkeling trip 'cause I've seen people suggest taking something along since the "bait" begins to look good. I didn't want to be starving and also don't want to get in trouble for doing something unacceptable.

Another question, can you wear water shoes while in the water with the stingrays? My sister bought us some water shoes and then someone that recently cruised said you can't wear them?!

While I'm at it, another question. Is it hard to find a spot to lounge by the pool? I was just reading something about how crowded it is and how people "save" seats. What are your experiences?
Old August 9th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: A Few Questions -- 1st Timer

There's so much to know! I was mainly just thinking of taking something along for the
snorkeling trip 'cause I've seen people suggest taking something along since the "bait" begins to look good. I didn't want to be starving and also don't want to get in trouble for doing something unacceptable.

Another question, can you wear water shoes while in the water with the stingrays? My sister bought us some water shoes and then someone that recently cruised said you can't wear them?!

While I'm at it, another question. Is it hard to find a spot to lounge by the pool? I was just reading something about how crowded it is and how people "save" seats. What are your
experiences?
Old August 9th, 2002, 04:13 PM
ITCH4

About the pool chairs- RCCL has pool attendants that wear bright yellow shirts with "Pool Staff" printed on them. During the busiest of times, they were constantly surveying the chair situation and if a chair appeared to be unused with only a towel on it, they would remove the towel and make the chair available to whoever may want it. It seemed like they were on top of things, by keeping a constant eye on the chairs that had sat idle for awhile. They were also trying to keep used towels from accumulating so a fresh supply could be available throughout the day.
Old August 10th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Asher ...

I'm one of those who talks about the bait chum starting to look good.

You can certainly buy canned sodas from the bar (or your mini-bar, if you have one) and take those ashore, no problem. If there is a restriction on an island, it's fruits and vegetables. But I can't say that I remember any such restrictions on a Western Carib cruise. And I know I've done it. Don't forget zip-top bags for ice and to hold your goodies.

As to the water shoes, I only know from Captain Marvin, but plenty of people were wearing them. My husband and I were among them.

Hint: If you are very fair-skinned use a high SPF lotion and wear a nasty old T-shirt when you are in the water.