CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   Jeans O.K.? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/293885-jeans-o-k.html)

Linda August 8th, 2002 08:16 PM

Jeans O.K.?

I know the first night on board is considered casual. Are jeans O.K. for the dining rooms on that first night? We're going to Alaska on Princess and will be flying in before we get on board. So, whatever we wear to get on board may be what we have to wear for dinner.

Donna August 9th, 2002 08:08 AM

Re: Jeans O.K.?

Hi Linda,
You can probibaly get by with jeans, but we always just pack our "dinner" clothes in a carry on, in case our luggage isn't in the cabin when its time for dinner.

pamda August 9th, 2002 10:38 AM

Hi, Linda ....

The first night out IS pretty casual but I can't think of anything less pleasant to fly in than jeans.

Why not just wear khakis (Dockers, like) on the plane and have a clean shirt in your carry-on. Clean undies are nice, too.

norm August 10th, 2002 09:41 PM

Linda,

Jeans really are not appropriate even on casual evenings. I also have noticed that "casual" has become a pretty snazzy flavor of casual since Princess started using the term "Smart Casual" as the suggested evening attire.

I usually wear a pair of dress slacks and a shirt with a collar when flying, so I can go directly to dinner if necessary when I arrive aboard ship. Ladies, you could do either a casual dress or a skirt or pair of slacks with a top. You probably will find that it's a lot more comfortable than jeans when you're sitting for a few hours on an airplane.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Norm.

carol August 20th, 2002 10:38 AM

Re: Re: Jeans O.K.?

I have never seen anyone wear jeans in the dining room.

Tami August 20th, 2002 05:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Jeans O.K.?

Not to butt in here but, how about jeans for the Personel Choice dinning?

Kuki August 20th, 2002 06:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Jeans O.K.?

Personal Choice only refers to dining times on Princess. The suggested dress codes are still suggested<G>

If it were truly Personal Choice I'd show up for dinner in nothing but boxers. It's much easier to scratch without all the clothes to go through. <VBG>

Tweety August 21st, 2002 07:12 PM

Usually pack first nite clothes in carry on as Donna says, but have never yet not had our luggage in plenty of time for dinner. And we do early seating. Enjoy your cruise and come back and let us hear all about it.

http://www.cruise-forums.com/gallery.../thumb3622.gif

Gaile
CM Host Tweety

norm August 30th, 2002 09:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Jeans O.K.?

Kuki,

If it were truly Personal Choice I'd show up for dinner in nothing but boxers.

What? No thong???

Norm.

norm August 30th, 2002 09:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Jeans O.K.?

Tami,

Not to butt in here but, how about jeans for the Personel Choice dinning?

There has been a fair amount of confusion between Princess's "Personal Choice Dining" program and Norwegian Cruise Line's "Freestyle Dining" program. Norwegian Cruilse Line now advertises "Formal Optional" evenings. On Princess, however, "Formal Night" is still FORMAL -- and that means "throughout the ship" according to the daily "Princess Patter" delivered to my cabin on each of my last three cruises.

There's also some confusion of terminology, so I'll take this opportunity to reiterate the terminology that Princess has officially adopted.

>> "Traditional Dining" means that a dining room offers two seatings, nominally at 6:00 and at 8:15, with preassigned tables for dinner that continue throughout the whole cruise.

>> "Anytime Dining" means that a dining room offers open seating for dinner so passengers may dine when they wish, either with or without reservations, like a restaurant ashore.

>> "Personal Choice Dining" means that a ship has at least one dining room with "Traditional Dining" and at least one dining room with "Anytime Dining" so passengers may choose either arrangement.

Princess offers "Personal Choice Dining" (that is, a choice of either "Traditional Dining" or "Anytime Dining") aboard MV Sun Princess, MV Dawn Princess, MV Sea Princess, MV [i] Ocean Princess, MV Grand Princess, MV Golden Princess, and MV Star Princess, and will offer "Personal Choice Dining" aboard MV Coral Princess, MV Island Princess, MV Diamond Princess, MV Sapphire Princess. and MV Crown Princess when these vessels join the Princess fleet.

The older vessels of the Princess fleet, MV [i] Pacific Princess, MV Royal Princess, and MV Regal Princess, have only "Traditional Dining." MV Tahian Princess (formerly MV R4 of Renaissance Cruises) and new MV Pacific Princess (formerly MV R3 of Renaissance Cruises) will offer only "Traditional Dining" when they join the Princess fleet. These vesses cannot accommodate "Personal Choice Dining" because they have only one main dining room.

Norm.

Delores September 3rd, 2002 10:37 AM

Re: Re: Jeans O.K.?

On the Viking Serenade, my husband & a friend wore jeans every night except for formal one. I didn't care for it myself, but when you're Senior Citizens you know longer care what people think. On that cruise, everyone wore them the first night as we didn't get our luggage. (The ship was 4 hours late coming in.)