Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Beginner

Default Alaska late September

I'll be on the Infinity 9/20, doing the Inside Passage. I know what to pack for excursions and for formal nights, but what is the "weather" like on board ship during the daytime? What do people generally wear, particularly in late September? I was thinking tunics/sweaters and leggings/slacks, but will I be too warm? Too cold? Or just right?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Alaska late September

Karen,

I just returned from a cruise to Alaska so I can tell you from personal experience that a winter jacket felt awfully good when we were in Glacier Bay and College Fjord. A spring/fall jacket was adequate in Ketchican, Juneau, and Skagway last week, but it will be a bit cooler when you go. The best advice is to bring several layers in case you need it.

Norm.
Old August 31st, 2002, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Hi, Karen ...

Just think "layers".

Old September 2nd, 2002, 07:41 AM
lysolq

Default Re: Re: Alaska late September

Have cruised Alaska 5 times, including one repositioning cruise in late September, literally the last ship out of Alaska that season. It was one of our favorite cruises. For the most part, the weather was clear, but windy and cold. Juneau and Ketchikan were rainy (surprise!) and raw. Skagway was w-i-n-d-y, and Sitka was relatively mild. We made good use of our sweatshirts, jackets, gloves and scarves. Blankets were always available on deck and everyone was wrapped in one (or two!) as we enjoyed the beauty of Glacier Bay. We're from the metro NY area, and we packed for weather we've come to expect in late fall, with a few warmer things just in case. As with all Alaska cruises, layering is the key. Enjoy your cruise.
Old September 3rd, 2002, 05:19 PM
Passenger

I'm on the Zaandam 9/28, also the inside passage. I checked some weather sites for average temperatures to get an idea of what to expect. I'm thinking the layer idea is the best approach. Here are the average highs and lows for cities on my itinerary:

Juneau Sept High 55.9 Sept Low 42.9
Oct High 47.1 Oct Low 37.2

Ketchikan Sept High 60.3 Sept Low 46.8
Oct High 52.0 Oct Low 40.5

Skagway Sept High 58.3 Sept Low 42.5
Oct High 47.4 Oct Low 35.9

Juneau and Skagway show fairly high rain fall (5-9 inches per month) but Ketchikan's rainfall is not shown for either month. Looks like rain gear is also a necessity.
Old September 6th, 2002, 10:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hey Karen,
Just got back tonight from Infinity and yes during the day layer your clothes and take off as needed, we were lucky. Had some very nice weather, even wore shorts onboard 2 afternoons and people were simming in the pool, still a little chilly for that, but the weather did vary from port to port. I just wore t-shirts and jeans, always had a jacket or sweat shirt handy and was fine. Don't forget to bring some rain gear, chances are, you will run into some at some ports. The only day we had rain was up in Juneau and that was after our whale watching excursion, which I would highly recommend, either with a ship tour or we used Capt. Larry, he was GREAT!

Have a wonderful time, I loved the ship!

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 7th, 2002, 10:21 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Apow

hi karen, my wife and two friends and my mom and a friend will be on infinity along with six other people that i met through this site. we are going to have a bon voyage party at 4 p.m. in one of the people that has a sky suite. if you will e-mail me I'll send you the info.
what excursions are you doing?
Old September 13th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Beginner

Thank you all so much for your replies -- I think I have a good handle on what to pack and what to expect from the weather. At least I'd better, after all the stuff I've ordered from Land's End in the last 2 weeks! I'll report back when I return --

Karen
Old September 14th, 2002, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Alaska late September

Lisa,

Juneau and Skagway show fairly high rain fall (5-9 inches per month) but Ketchikan's rainfall is not shown for either month. Looks like rain gear is also a necessity.

The amount of rainfall is not a reliable indicator of the likelihood of rainfall. The Puget Sound area (Seattle), for example, has surprisingly low total rainfall for an area that has more rainy days than any other part of the country. The catch is that this area gets a lot of days of light rain, whereas other parts of the country tend to have higher proprtions of moderate to heavy rain on their rainy days.

IIRC, the guides in Juneau and Ketchikan pointed out that both cities have an average of over two hundred rainy days per year. Thus, the chance of a rainy day in each of those cities is significantly over 50%.

Norm.
Old September 14th, 2002, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: Alaska late September

Also, something I learned while on my Alaska cruise, the south eastern portion of Alaska is an actual "rain forest", so therefore lots of rain. I had no idea, but its true. I think Ketchikan averages 240 days of rain per year, now thats a good amount of rain, so definitely pack some rain gear. I also noticed in a lot of shops in those ports, you can pick up a cheap plastic type poncho for $10, and I did see quite a few people wearing them on our one rainly afternoon in Juneau.

Have Fun

Message Boards Moderator