Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2002, 04:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to DanaB
Default Christmas Cruise Attire, etc...

Yikes, I've just been reading a lot about attire on cruises, there are a lot of opinions on this matter, so I thought I'd inquire about attire for a cruise on RCI to CoCo Cay and Bahamas for Christmas.

First, I have no idea what to expect as far as the weather goes. I have been trying to decide what to wear each night, and because it is Christmas season, I'm not sure if a flowy spring colored floral dress is appropriate for dinner/evening activities. I plan to wear long skirts and dressy tops for the other 3 evenings, and not wear a formal dress. This is my first cruise and I have lost 100 pounds in the past year and a half and between now and Christmas I will have lost more weight, and after Christmas I will lose even more weight. I can't buy a formal gown that I will wear once, but know I'll look very nice and dressed up with the other outfits I have planned. Is this going to be okay? Will we look like goobers if we are not dressed to the "nines" on this cruise? I'm not worried about day wear or excursion attire, just dinner/evening...

Of all of the reviews I have read of the cruise we are going on (me, my Mom, and sister) we have yet to read anything about the cruise at Christmas. We will be on Sovreign of the Seas.

Thanks for any insight.

Dana
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2002, 11:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Christmas Cruise Attire, etc...

Hi, Dana ...

First of all, congratulations on your weight loss !!! You must feel terrific.

Get yourself a black silk skirt or pants (elastic waist) and a matching shell plus a very terrific jacket.

Don't hesitate to hit a consignment shop for the great jacket.

Old September 9th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Martha B.

Default Re: Re: Christmas Cruise Attire, etc...

Dana, I have several pieces of "citiknits"....long black skirt, long black "pallazo" pants, a very long black jacket....then I take several shells (2 sequined).....these are so good looking, will not wrinkle, and inexpensive! You can log on to QVC......they carry the "citiknit" brand. But, black is still THE IN thing to wear. I cruise twice a year and always take my "ole faithful citiknits!" Happy Cruisin'!
Old September 9th, 2002, 09:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to DanaB

Thanks a bunch for all of the tips.

This weekend I went out shopping and found a great sale on a beautiful long black skirt, it has a slit in the side and ruffles that flow on that slit! I found it in the formalwear section of a major department store. I wasn't crazy about the blouse that was displayed with it, so I'll just keep my eyes out for something sparkly. Between now and cruise time, that should not be a hard find. I now have my dining clothes selected for the 4 nights. I'm splurging on myself, what he heck, right? I'm worth it!

Dana
Old September 10th, 2002, 09:40 PM
Admiral

DanaB,

On most ships, you can wear a cocktail dress on formal night. If you get a plain cocktail dress (some suggest a "little black dress" ("LBD"), though I'm not persuaded that it has to be black), you can combine it with different accessories to create different looks for several occasions -- both formal and semiformal -- during the cruise. You'll also be able to wear it to your and your husband's or significant other's office parties and for any other "dress-up" occasions that might occur around the holidays. The most important thing probably is to get a color gives you some flexibilitiy.

Norm.
Old September 10th, 2002, 11:45 PM
Admiral

Ahem, Norm ...

I am among the chief proponents of the "LBD".

There's something about black that just lets it sort of fade into the background, showcasing the accessories that are SOOOO much fun to shop for.

Plus, black tends to "blend and diminish" as they say ... important for later on in the cruise

Old September 14th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Christmas Cruise Attire, etc...

Pamda,

There's something about black that just lets it sort of fade into the background, showcasing the accessories that are SOOOO much fun to shop for.

Aw, c'mon! You're making this much too easy! You obvioiusly need a bit more of a challenge by now for all those shopping expeditions! Just think how much more fun it would be to shop for the "perfect" accessories for that "LSD" ("little scarlet dress") or "LPD" ("little purple dress") -- and the enhanced ecstasy that you would feel when you find them!

Plus, black tends to "blend and diminish" as they say ... important for later on in the cruise

I actually lost a couple pounds on my last cruise, in spite of eating five courses at dinner and at least three other meals/snacks every day, so the weight gain obviusly is not the food. There does, however, seem to be a link to the apparatus that one uses to go beween decks. One is free to choose between the stairs and the automatic weight gain apparatus (AWGA), otherwise known as the "lifts."

BTW, I suspect that a full length flowing dress would be a much better choice for concealing the results of one's repeated use of the AWGA's located throughout the ship. An authentic "LBD" certainly won't conceal much.

;-)

Norm.
Old September 15th, 2002, 08:51 AM
imlulu

Norm,
Your comments about the LBD are funny in light of the conversation I just had with my mom on the phone. Like Dana I too have lost quite a bit of weight this past year. Black is my color of choice for clothes. It is so easy to match and wear with funky accessories. I was telling my mom I am buying a couple of black pants and black skirts for work. Then buying sloid color tops to mix and match with for work in winter. She was begging me to buy something besides black. No way!!! Black is a no brainer for me and just seems classy to me. BTW I bought a LBD for my upcoming cruise's formal night. I love color on other people but will stick with my black clothes.