Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 15th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Carl Berry

Default FORMAL NIGHTS

We are booked on Celebrity's Mercury 22 Sept 02. There are 3 formal nights on this cruise. I have just found that due to my increasing girth, I no longer fit my dark suit pants. I do have a dark blue blazer & dark pants that fit. Do you think that I will be tossed overboard dressed thus? I am a disabled senior and hate to buy a new suit that I may never wear after the cruise. Thanks for any advice!
Carl
Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2002, 06:32 PM
ikesmem

Default Re: FORMAL NIGHTS

Hi Carl. No you will be fine. My hubby wears a sport coat with tie one formal night, and with a turtleneck the next night. I have seen few tux and suits in the last cruises we have taken. Have a great cruise.
Old September 15th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Carl ...

You might also want to consider a tux rental. But nobody's going to keelhaul you for a blue blazer just so long as you remember the pants !!!

Old September 17th, 2002, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Carl,

I agree with Pamda's suggestion -- spring for the tux rental, which will be a lot cheaper than buying a suit. The sport coat and slacks really are not appropriate for formal nights, but certainly would be proper for semiformal nights.

A lot of tuxedo rental shops offer cruise packages -- a week rental of a jacket, a pair of tuxedo pants, two shirts with studs and cuff links, a vest and a cummerbund with a matching tie for each, and a pair of dress shoes if you need them -- for about $85. You generally can choose either a standard tuxedo jacket or a white dinner jacket, which usually is appropriate in the summer and in the tropics.

If you wish, you can rent the outfit from the ship, too, though it might be slightly more expensive. You just submit your selections and your sizes in advance and they will deliver it to your cabin. The ship will deliver the tuxedo to your cabin on embarkation day. At the end of the cruise, you just leave it there. That way, you don't have to pack it. You probably will find an insert on rental of formalwear on board in your cruise information package.

Norm.
Old September 25th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Yeoman

Carl

You will be fine in your Blue Blazer and pants..if you are like us..we really enjoyed our table mates and had no concept of what they were wearing. Dave my significant other wore a tux on the first formal night. We will be going on the Carnival Victory in February and he will not be renting a tux, he felt that a suite a tie was fine.
Old September 26th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: FORMAL NIGHTS

linda,

You will be fine in your Blue Blazer and pants.

A blazer and slacks simply is not appropriate attire for formal night. You do a gross disservice to Carl by giving him such misinformation.

Celebrity Cruises is a "premium" line, and the expectation of proper attire on most "premium" lines is considerably stronger than on "mainstream" lines like Carnival. While substitiution of a blazer and slacks for proper formal attire might be fairly commonplace on some "mainstream" lines, it is much less common on "premium" lines. In saying that it's acceptable to deviate, you are setting him up to be totally embarassed in a setting where nearly all of the passengers will conform to the suggested dress standards. I'm stunned by the utter insensitivity of such a deed.

Norm.
Old October 8th, 2002, 11:06 PM
MrPnut

Default Re: Re: FORMAL NIGHTS

I have lost 65 lbs. in the last few months (Meridia & *******...ask your Doc) and now none of my suits fit either. I had them made for me in Hong Kong and hated to get rid of them, but I'm happy about the weight loss! Since I have more weight to lose, I was reticent about buying a new suit that will be too big in a month or two. I looked on eBay and found one in perfect condition that fit me to a "T" for 40 bucks! Maybe it was just blind luck, but it is worth looking.
Old October 8th, 2002, 11:28 PM
susanbarnes

Default Re: Re: Re: FORMAL NIGHTS

Just off the summit. My husband and I were definately dressed to the nines no matter what the catagory casual, semi formal, or formal. We thoroughly enjoyed dressing for dinner. Even though alot of people dressed up we saw everything except shorts. Some people even thought a hawaiian momo was formal on a hawaiian cruise. Please don't worry about what you wear to much just have fun. Celebrity is more elegant but not everyone has the same taste in clothes.
Old October 27th, 2002, 11:57 PM
Max

Default Re: Re: Re: FORMAL NIGHTS

Celebrity Cruises are Nice Ships. I have ben on two cruises with them A blazer and slacks are appropriate attire for formal night. this is not 1920. have fun you paid for your
Cruise........
Old November 1st, 2002, 11:08 AM
Admiral

Perhaps I am just an old fuddy-duddy. To me, and to my husband, dressing up for Formal Night IS part of the fun. I love his $5 James Bond look at the blackjack table.

I always chase him out of the room when I'm dressing (who wants to watch a middle-aged lady pack herself into pantyhose ???) then "pick him up" somewhere in the public areas. Kinda sexy, y'know?

<Prepare for double entendre>

There's something about those studs, y'know ???