Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 17th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Shoes for Shore Excursions

Any advice on good walking shoes/sandals for shore excursions? Tired of living in sneakers every day! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Shoes for Shore Excursions

Hi Mimi,
A nice comfy pair of sandals will work for shore excursions or just shopping around town. Just make sure they are not brand new and not broken in. There is nothing worse than wearing a new pair of shoes/sandals that hurt, so just make sure they are comfortable.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 17th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Shoes for Shore Excursions

Donna,
Any thoughts on those aqua shoes?
Joe
Old September 17th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Shoes for Shore Excursions

Hi Jiol,
The aqua shoes are great for wearing while in water, not sure about on land though, since they have a very soft sole, I think I'd rather go with sneakers for that.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 17th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Shoes for Shore Excursions

Thanks, Donna. What about shoes for those walking "expeditions" and lengthy standing and waiting times in Museums on European and Mediterranean cruises -- Pompeii, Ephesus, Florence, Rome, etc. ?
Old September 17th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Shoes for Shore Excursions

Hi Mimi,
For those kinds of days, just a very comfortable walking shoe, probibaly something you already have and that are broken in. If your feet are killing you, then what good is the excursion? Even if I buy something new for an occasion like this, I make sure to wear them before, so they do feel good.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 17th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Passenger

Default Shoes

We were in the Mediterranean last year for 2 weeks and did a tremendous amount of walking. (I did not gain one lb.!!!) I wore tennis shoes when I knew we were going to be walking on rocky surfaces, but most of the time I wore a good sandal I bought at Kohl's that had 4 strips of velcro closures across the top. I love them! Were not expensive. The best thing about them is being able to adjust the velcro at different places on your foot as our feel always swell when walking alot, especially in warmer weather!

I just returned from the Caribbean and wore the same shoes there.

The aqua shoes we bought were also great at the beach - snorkeling, etc.
Old September 18th, 2002, 04:21 AM
Admiral

My recommendation is Ecco sandals. Not cheap, totally ugly, but OOOOH, do they feel great.

Old September 18th, 2002, 09:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Pam,

Elaborate on those Ecco sandals a bit.

Are they for men, women, or both?
What do they look like, were can buy them?
and how expensive are they?

Thanks
Joe

P.S. I finished your book, it was well written, I liked your perspective on things.
It is now offically turnned over to my wife to read.
Old September 19th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the info, but please help with specifics. I visited their website, but there are many styles. What worked for you? Mimi
Old September 20th, 2002, 03:48 AM
Admiral

The totally ugly pair that I have can be observed on my personal website, <http://happysails.com> under the "ruined cruise" topic.

Just look at the picture in the limo. (Ignore the glass of champagne and the cigarette.)

They are black suede, have two straps across the instep and a strap behind the heel. All the straps are adjustable with Velcro. Very useful when your feet swell. The soles are cork.

I think I paid about $125 for them. Worth every penny. In chillier climates, just wear them with socks. It looks pretty strange, but I am too old to care.

I don't know if they make them for men or not.

the important part is the adjustibility.

JOIL: Thanks for the kind words. Stand back. The next one is coming down the ways. Maybe I will cover sandals this time.

Old January 19th, 2003, 09:08 PM
Beginner

Yeah!!! You can't go wrong with Ecco! (I'm part Danish, so maybe I'm biased)

I have the Soft II in Black and Sand colored nubuck and also the Receptor Cross Terrain in blue. I'm thinking of buying some of their sandles, but haven't decided which ones.

I buy many of my shoes online at www.zappos.com. They have good prices, excellent selection, customer reviews, and free shipping!

Hope this helps!
Old January 20th, 2003, 11:19 AM
Admiral

The type of sandals I love and used a lot especially at our European port and cities tours where Four Way Sandals put out by Aerosoles. On sale for about $25-30 and they come in many colors, but black will work best. I have found them in JC Penny, Sears, and most good department stores like Macy's, Filene's etc. There are four wide straps that cross the front with a solid back. The soles are rubber and the innersole is padded. They are open for air circulation but the toe and heel are partially covered. They look nice in slacks, shorts or even a jumper. These are for women. I have bought them for my married daughter and my elderly mother who really like them a lot. Good Luck. They should be on the store shelves before your European cruise.
Bon Voyage
Old January 20th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Passenger

I swear by Teva Kinetic sandals. They're padded for comfort and can handle getting wet. I walked many, many miles in mine with not a sign of a blister. (They're available online, too. Just search for "Teva" and you'll come up with sites where you can see them and purchase.)
Old March 3rd, 2003, 11:52 PM
First Mate

when you want to 'wear in' a pair of sandals that are new, for your cruise, but it is still snowing outside............what's a gal to do?

waters

Old March 12th, 2003, 09:13 PM
TMGable

I totally agree with Tevas. They are the best! I remember about 5 years ago, going to Disney World with my co-workers and I had a pair of strapped flip flop-type sandals. I have never had such foot pain in my life!! I ended up buying a pair of Keds with Mickey on the side, but my feet were already ruined and then, of course, the new shoes made their own blisters.

I bought my Tevas several years ago (after the Disney trip) and I swear they still look new. They were $65, but you can find them on sale at times. I can get them wet, and they won't pick up an odor, since they are open, your feet don't sweat, and they are easily removable (I just generally hate wearing shoes--well, my feet seem claustrophobic in confining shoes). And, every time you put them on they get adjusted to the tightness that you want....depending on feet swelling, etc.

I would swear by them and recommend them. No, they are not the most attractive shoes in the world, but when someone with nice, pretty shoes is wincing from pain, they look longingly at my painless Tevas!!
Old March 15th, 2003, 09:08 PM
AfricanGray

Default Re: Re: Re: Shoes for Shore Excursions

Funny you should mention this topic, cause I have been looking myself. I finally found some Birkenstocks on sale which were a really good deal. I wanted to have a comfortable sandal which had a strap around the heel. Anyway, Birkenstocks are a tad cheaper than Eccos, and in the same ballpark.
Old April 1st, 2003, 07:23 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Shoes for Shore Excursions

My all-time favorite sandals for travel are made by Rockport, since they are comfortable, give good arch support, and generally aren't as expensive as Birkenstocks (which I also like). The best thing about Rockport is that off and on they have models which are comfortable enough to wear all day tracking up and down hilly cobbled streets, but still look nice enough to wear with a dress for dinner. Saves packing!

I sadly don't see anything quite like what I have on their website right now (the "Sarasota" looks like an uglier version of one pair, and the "Pruja" like a less comfortable version of the other), but they seem to change all their styles with great frequency, so it's worth taking a peek if you have a Rockport store near you.

--Atiya

Post Edited (04-01-03 19:27)