Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2002, 09:29 AM
Passenger

Default Liquor

Ok, I know this is probably a stupid question, but I have never been on a plane before.

How in the world, do you get your Grand Cayman Liquor home without getting it broken. Last October we drove to Miami, and between getting our luggage out of the car onto the ship, I had broken mirrors, busted shampoo bottles.... I am just wondering if the luggage handlers at the Airport is this destructive with your luggage. I just have to have some Rum from Grand Cayman, but am affraid I won't get it back to North Carolina without getting broke.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2002, 10:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Liquor

Amanda,

There are three requirements for packing glass bottles.

>> 1. Do not put the bottle against the outside of the suitcase or against any hard object or surface.

>> 2. Pack the suitcase full enough so that neither the bottle nor any other contents can shift in transit.

>> 3. Ensure that the bottle is adequately padded with soft items, such as clothing, on all sides.

If you do these three things, the bottle should travel quite well. I pack glass bottles of wine, liquor, and cosmetics quite often, and have not had any problem with breakage.

Some people pack glass bottles in the middle of their laundry bags. With a week's worth of laundry or more, that approach certainly should work. This approach has the added advantage that the dirty clothes will absorb the spill, or at least most of it, if a bottle does somehow manage to break in transit.

The alternative, of course, is to pack the bottle in your carry-on luggage where you have control of it.

Norm.
Old October 4th, 2002, 10:15 AM
First Mate

Make sure that you pack any bottles in ziplock bags just in case. They have ones that are big enough to hold any bottle. I hope this helps!!
Old October 8th, 2002, 09:59 PM
MrPnut

Default Re: Re: Liquor

When I travel to the wine country, I pack each bottle inside a couple of socks (one in each direction) and place them at the center of my luggage. I've never had a problem.Jean wrote:

> Make sure that you pack any bottles in ziplock bags just in
> case. They have ones that are big enough to hold any bottle.
> I hope this helps!!
Old October 9th, 2002, 02:03 PM
C. kinzer

We have been on Carribean cruise. We purchased alcohol in most of the ports to either take home or enjoy on board. We HAND CARRIED our liquor on the plane etc. coming home. If you buy at least three or four bottles most liquor stores were happy to stap box and tape for us. Good luck !
P.S. some of the problems with airlines and breaking things is much like moving. Try using some bubble wrap, or wrapping breakables in socks, t-shirts, shoes, beach towels etc.