Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2002, 11:53 AM
JenS

Default Dressing up

There are five of us going on a 3 night cruise (the Fantasy ship) to Bahamas in January. NONE of us likes or wants to dress up. Does anyone know what night (if any) on this ship is the formal night? And if we opt not to go to the dining room on the formal night because we do not want to dress up will we be out of place in the clubs or show room for the rest of the evening? Also, on the nights that are not the formal night, are jeans out for dining room wear?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Dressing up

Jeans are considered to be a non-no, but if they are tidy, pressed designer jeans? You probably won't be tossed out.

Old October 13th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Jen,
I think you will find that, yes, most people do dress up for the night and stay that way throughout the eveing. YOu may want to try it, can be fun. Also blue jeans are really not allowed in the dining room for dinner, OK for breakfast and lunch though. Just remember, its only for 1 evening and everyone else will be, hope you have fun either way you decide to dress :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 14th, 2002, 06:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

My wife and I went on the fantasy 9/1/02 and we did not dress up for formal night. I wore dockers and a three button shirt. nobody said a word but boy did we feel funny. Our table was #229 all the way in the back corner of the jubilee dining room. I felt like every single person was staring at us. our original plan was to skip dinner that night. The other couple that we were with decided to go casual to formal night because we discovered that dinner is one of the most enjoyable things on the cruise. next cruise I will be dressed appropriately. As far as after dinner there was no problem with the way anyone was dressed. once out of the dining room we never thought twice about what we were wearing as a lot of people had changed into casual wear. (or maybe those people elected not to go to dinner). If you think as I did that nobody cares you a wrong. I have seen posts on this forum where people let it be known that they are very much bothered by casual dress on formal night.
Have fun NJDAVE

MARINER OF THE SEAS 10/31/2004
Sensation 4/17/2004
SOS 4/2003
Fantasy 1991 AND 2002
GLORY 8/2003
Old October 14th, 2002, 04:06 PM
JenS

Default Re: Re: Dressing up

Dave were you on the three night to Bahamas? Can you tell me what night the formal night is? We are leaving on a Thursday and returning on a Sunday and I thought I read somewhere that the formal night would be on Friday night (which is when we would be in port at Nassau). And that is another reason we do not want to dress up as we plan to spend MOST of our time while we are in Nassau just sightseeing (since we will only be there from 10am Friday morning until 7am Saturday morning). I don't mind wearing a dress on formal night but to drag a jacket and dress shoes for my husband on the plane, etc. just for one night does not sound like fun (on our last cruise...which was a 7 night, we did not mind because there were 2 formal nights and we took it from New York City which is close to where we live and so taking more luggage was not a big deal).

Thanks for your help.
Old October 15th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

We were not decked out in formal wear on our last cruise. I simply had on a business dress suit and my husband a suit with a pullover shirt. It was New Year's Eve and we felt fine. I would not wear the jeans.

Legend OTS 12/26/07
Carnival Destiny 7/1/07
Radiance OTS 12/26/06
Carnival Destiny 7/17/2005
Carnival Inspiration 12/30/2001 - Honeymoon
Old October 15th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Joyce

We are booked on the Zuiderdam for the maiden cruise and our entire family
will be going. My husband doesn't like to dress up; however, the kids are
really looking forward to i t. My husband has decided to go along. We have