Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2002, 10:26 AM
Yeoman

Default casual clothes for daytime

Since Princess and HAL generally have an older group of passengers, would you expect to see nicer casual clothes than I saw on Carnival? I was surprised at the "grungy" clothes I saw on our Caribbean cruise last year on Carnival.

Carnival Inspiration
Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2002, 06:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: casual clothes for daytime

Hi Linda,
I think you will find younger cruisers on CArnival compared to Hal, so I would think you would find less of the grungy look, just guessing though??

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 2nd, 2002, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Linda.. with older passengers on HAL and Princess I'd expect to see older clothes. Wait til u see those 6 ft wing spans on the collars of the men's dress shirts on formal nights <G>

Realistically...in Alaska I'd expect to see the same grunge. Lots of jeans etc.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 3rd, 2002, 03:57 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: casual clothes for daytime

Thanks Donna and Kuki. This is what I was guessing. Wonderng how much nicer clothes to pack.

Carnival Inspiration
Old November 4th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Passenger

My rule of thumb when packing is it comfortable. I bought lots of new clothes for my cruise and threw in some my old ones, I found myself washing my old clothes to wear over and over again..Next cruise I will definately bring my old comfortable clothes and of course the dress up ones. It's your vacation why not be comfortable

Old November 6th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Our cruise to Alaska was just our second. The first was on a Celebrity ship with 2nd. on a brand new RCI ship. The inagural was also the birthday celebration of RCI. I even contacted our local district sales manger who assured me the dress for Alaska (especially formal nights) would be "less" dressy. They were wrong! Jeans, cotton sweaters or sweatshirts, sneakers are fine by day, but evening casual was still pretty nice sports clothes. One distinguised grandfather wore the most beautiful colorful sweater I had ever seen on a man. When we priced a similar one in Juneau, it was priced at $650! A little out of my price range. Do bring comfortable clothes that you enjoy getting dressed up for the evening in. Also, most ships have a spa and often a dome covered pool, so don't forget your swim suit. Gloves and a hat are a must for touring.
Bon Voyage
Old November 13th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Regina

I have my regular California summer clothes. I start getting them organized several weeks before sailing. I break down and starch and iron them. Really makes a difference. Nothing that is faded, limp, stained or pilled goes aboard.
Old November 22nd, 2002, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Linda,

Don't expect passengers on Princess to be older overall than those on Carnival. It really depends upon the time of year and the itinerary. In June of last year, there were over 200 children aboard MV Royal Princess with their parents for a 12-day cruise in Europe! There were some older passengers, too, but most assuredly nowhere near as many as you would expect to find aboard a ship of Holland America Lines.

That said, Princess Cruises is a premium cruise line that tends to attract a somewhat more affluent crowd than the mainstream lines. You'll see a few men wearing "T" shirts and/or jeans, but "golf" or "polo" shirts (with collars) with dress shorts or slacks (dockers, etc.) are more prevalent. You may find more jeans in Alaska, especially when the ship is in port, due to the nature of some of the excursions there.

Norm.