Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 4th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Marnie

Default Alcohol in checked baggage

A friend of mine just got back from a Norwegian cruise in the Caribbean. She had a couple bottles of liquor in her checked baggage. When the bags were delivered to her cabin, there were stickers on them saying "alcohol". They did not try to take the liquor away from her. I'm sure they scan everything for security purposes, but I didn't know they looked for liquor. Has anyone had a problem with this? I'm going on an 11 night cruise and planned on taking some wine for the cabin. Just wondering if I'll be given a hard time.
Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2002, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Alcohol in checked baggage

Hi Marnie,
This is the first I've heard of any stickers on luggage. I would supect they were x-rayed and noticed the bottles?? Thanks for the info.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 4th, 2002, 07:22 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

I am on the 11/17 NCL Dream. I have seen a number of posts on various boards regarding all the lines getting much stricter about alcohol. Not terribly surprised with the current rates. After all they do have to make a profit somehow. I remember on our 1st cruise back in 1969 drinks were abour 33-50% of land resturants./bars. Now they are about the same. I like to have a glass while dressing, especially since hubby takes longer to gussie up than I do. I was in our local Saturday and found an "end of bin" special. A 1.5L bottle of chardonay from Chile (not great but ok) for $0.99. For taht price if they confiscate it I don't really care. I go get ice tea or lemonade at the buffet. It just won't be "special". I will still order wine at dinner and also an after dinner drink at the show later and maybe even an afternoon frozen thngee after a busy day in port. My bar bills are the least of my trip expenses. Tips for a waiter or cabin steward are more for 1 person than our total bar bill for 2 on our last 2 cruises.
Old November 10th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Jeffv

We have found the waqy to bring booze on the boat is in Plastic bottles. You can get some that seal perfectly at your local sporting good store. We have heard of others getting out of thier luggage but never ours.
Old November 12th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Alcohol in checked baggage

It really depends on the cruise line. Carnival allows wine and champagne, but I am not sure about your line. You may want to try contacting the line directly to ask.

Legend 4/03
Old November 29th, 2002, 06:50 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

Just got off the NCL Dream 11/26. Took the chardonay as above aqn 3 splits of merlot for hubby. Still had wine with dinner (3 bottles over 9 days for 2 and hubby is a very light drinker as is diabetic) and the show drink and the occasional frozen thingee but enjoyed being able to have the fresh sushi and wine wile cleaning up for dinner in our cabin. No problems with air or NCL on tyransport.